QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Random Awesome Stuff You Learn Every Day

Ok so it is completely off topic, but you guys are such smart people and I'm a big believer in the wisdom of collective intelligence (mostly, except if its a crowd of lemmings ha ha). Anyway I thought it would be cool to start a thread about shit we leaned today. Amazing the gems I've taken away from this site so why not capitalize on it?

So... To get the ball rolling...

I learned that there are over 20,000 people living per square mile in New York City. That's a hell of a lot of people! That's all.

Who's next? !

I just learned a minute ago that the reason men have nipples is because in utero all embryos begin with a female blueprint, only in later weeks when the Y chromosomes kick in the testosterone does the rudimentary "she" become a "he" but the now-useless nipples remain ... aren't you so glad to know? :) But now I'm curious about what my daughter just asked me: "Do cats have belly buttons?"

• Like 4

Today I learned where they make the best pancakes in New York City.

Ok so that's a cop out but they were pretty frickin good pancakes. Sometimes being jobless is nice. Had breakfast with a friend.

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-best-pancakes-in-nyc-new-york-favorite-breakfast-slideshow.html

Research shows that use of tanning beds dramatically increases risk of skin cancer.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm such a rich golden orange!!! my skin has the texture and feel of the finest steering wheel cover!!! I could sharpen straight razors on my arms!! UGH what a horribly day!!!!!

• Like 1

....I can't get that superbowl ad with Bar Rafaeli/Dorky Kid for godaddy.com out of my mind. Such a strange combination of disgust and intrigue, made me feel like I needed to take a shower afterwards. That's memorable advertising I guess!

Dogs and their owners both release the bonding, feel good hormone oxitocin (Australian dogs release OxyContin) while they are being petted.

ha bloody ha!

Australian dogs are also known as dingos, QO... and not to be trifled with.... (just like ALL AUSTRALIANS ahem)

Oh, and to add to the skin cancer comment above here's a relevant tie in: Over 1 in 4 Australians have skin cancer.

Research shows that use of tanning beds dramatically increases risk of skin cancer.

The retarded tanning bed trade groups are trying to downplay the cancer risks - I read this a couple weeks ago.

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/22/16630988-dermatologists-blast-tanning-industry-campaign-to-play-down-skin-cancer-fears?lite

yeah. its really cool.

here is what it looks like itself

http://vine.co/v/b1d5Fpi6zEz

and here are some shots of it in action...

!

!

I predict a day when the price comes down on those things/ there is an influx of cheap copies, and they're as ubiquitous as GoPros themselves, and every monument, park, attraction, event, is buzzing with them... gonna be as fun as when everyone brought laser pointers into movies... :mellow:

I predict a day when the price comes down on those things/ there is an influx of cheap copies, and they're as ubiquitous as GoPros themselves, and every monument, park, attraction, event, is buzzing with them... gonna be as fun as when everyone brought laser pointers into movies... :mellow:

absolutely. I heard they are thinking of different ways of using these things, even making these into delivery things. Where you can send a package to someone via your personal drone. There are a lot of cheaper ones. Some even under $200. they are slightly cheaper here...but the one i linked to has outstanding reviews.

http://rc-drones.com/dji-phantom.php

it also has GPS and a return to base feature if you lose it.or lose its signal.and gives real time point of view...