QuittingAdderall.com Forums

We all know that the TRUE energy source is healthy food....

What are the best foods that you've found help you through quitting?

For me, there is NOTHING like raw produce + protein. After eating a huge salad with baby spinach, dark leafy greens, avocado, almonds, olive oil, eggs, and whatever I have around, I can literally FEEL the energy boost within 20 minutes as it digests.

Mmmmmmm, food!!!

Others?

• Like 1

aside from kit kat bars... :)I think pretty much everything that goes on top of a salad is a good healthy high energy food. tofu, olives, all kinds of beans: cannelini, kidney beans, black beans, definitely hardboiled eggs and all kinds of nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds go good on salads...basically everything that you would find at a salad bar...except maybe crumbled bacon or croutons...

• Like 1

You guys make me feel like a junk food junkie. I really need to start eating healthier. I don't cook, so I usually eat something quick and easy and often unhealthy....not good. I don't even go to the grocery store. I think it's time to start eating right for the numerous benefits. Maybe that's why I often feel tired and have low energy.

• Like 1

You guys make me feel like a junk food junkie. I really need to start eating healthier. I don't cook, so I usually eat something quick and easy and often unhealthy....not good. I don't even go to the grocery store. I think it's time to start eating right for the numerous benefits. Maybe that's why I often feel tired and have low energy.

I'm with you, Ashley. I have very disordered eating patterns. I can cook but I hate to (actually I don't mind cooking but I hate cleaning up afterwards) and believe it or not when you're cooking for 1-2 people it is more expensive than it is to get takeout in this city. But I've gained 15lbs and I hate myself for it. I need a diet and fitness buddy!

I picked up some ionized trace minerals it works better than yerba and caffine my mind comes alive shortly after ingestion. I also use indium it works great and is helping me recover quicker. Im about to get on the weekend cutler protocol to pull out heavy metals. The oldest living people in the world are not exposed to western medicine and have trace minerals in their diet. Their food is not gmo, processed "frankenfood", but is natural organic. America ranks number 1 in the world for people with confidence but on the intelligence scale we are some where in the 20s. We are over feed and under nurished. We are full, yet we are starving inside.

Hipoccrates - let your food be medicine and your medicine be food.

• Like 2

I really like that quote from Hipoccrates. Sounds like the basis of "doing no harm".

I just wanted to share a list of foods that I have quit buying. This list has been growing for several years and I had to add several more items after a close call with weight gain last fall.

I do not buy or allow into my home the following foods:

Cookies

candy, except sugar-free treats

crackers

cereal, with added sugar

chips

pasta

bread

beer

bananas

soda

diet soda

fruit juices, except grapefruit

milk

ice cream

yogurt

I don't abstain from any of the above foods, I simply choose not to have them in my home.

I pretend like I am diabetic and eat like they do.

I don't like to eat out, either, for many reasons.

So far, I have managed to keep away those 20 lbs I lost last summer by sticking with this list of foods I don't buy.

• Like 2

that is a great list...except maybe bananas? I do hear that out of all fruits bananas are not as good as some others because they dont have as much fiber. The best fruits are supposed to be the ones like apples that have a lot of crunch in them. But still, bananas are a fruit. I'm not sure i agree with diets like South Beach that say to avoid fruits in the first phase.

fruits have a natural sugar called fructose which is much better than the sugar found in packaged sweets and non diet sodas which is sucrose. And maltose which is the sugar found in alcohols...(maybe i should i add this to the random info you learned list)...

I think the rest on your stuff is great to keep out of any kitchen cabinet.

Quit Once, how did you arrive at that healthy place? Was it a difficult time of transition for you or have you always been a healthy eater?

Also sky, you're vegan. Not sure if I could go that far right now but I realized the other day that the only meat I eat is chicken, and sometimes fish, and I don't really even like it very much, so I could quite easily become vegetarian. How did you get there sky? Are you happy with your eating habits now?

Anyone else who has gone from junk food junkie to healthy, how'd you do it? Love to get some wisdom here...

watch Vegucated and Forks Over Knives on Netflix and tell me they don't change your life...

It's not hard at all, in fact I love the fake meat more than the real stuff. Bottom line is animals are sentiant beings too, and the meat and dairy industry treat them like they're not (to put it mildly), there is no need to eat meat anymore, we can easily live w/o meat and dairy, and I hate to support that industry and the abuse and killing of animals so I can mindlessly consume crap. btw, those two movies are about eating healthy, not so much vivid portrails of animal abuse.

• Like 1

that is a great list...except maybe bananas?

I think the rest on your stuff is great to keep out of any kitchen cabinet.

Actually bananas, beans and rice are on my maybe list. I recently cut back on all carbs and bananas have a lot of starch and sugar. So I haven't eaten a banana since thanksgiving. But they are really nutritious and I will likely start eating them them when I need more energy this spring and summer. Same with the fruit juices. Ever tried IZZE sparkling fruit juice beverages?

Quit Once, how did you arrive at that healthy place? Was it a difficult time of transition for you or have you always been a healthy eater?

Well...my "thing" is food. Food science, food safety, marketing and nutrition. That's my carreer path. My healthy eating has been a long and slow development. It started with realizing I could not buy a large container of ice cream and not eat the whole fuckin thing at once. I had no self control so I quit buying big ice cream. Same thing with snack foods - I started buying the individual serving sized packets so I wouldn't over eat junk food. But within the last year or so I have just quit eating certain food groups like flour and sugar or chips or milk. I have used the concept of abstinence I learned from quitting adderall, (just not absolute abstinence) when it comes to buying most foods that either don't agree with me, make me fat or are otherwise unhealthy.

I recently read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book cover to cover. He presents an addiction-oriented outlook on carbohydrates that I could really relate to. He is now dead thus he is not around to defend his diet so it is not very popular anymore. I do not believe it is realistic or sustainable to restrict one's carb intake as much as Dr Atkins recommends, but I do like the concept of limited carb consumption and his principle of carbohydrate addiction.

• Like 1

Well...my "thing" is food. Food science, food safety, marketing and nutrition. That's my carreer path. My healthy eating has been a long and slow development. It started with realizing I could not buy a large container of ice cream and not eat the whole fuckin thing at once. I had no self control so I quit buying big ice cream. Same thing with snack foods - I started buying the individual serving sized packets so I wouldn't over eat junk food. But within the last year or so I have just quit eating certain food groups like flour and sugar or chips or milk. I have used the concept of abstinence I learned from quitting adderall, (just not absolute abstinence) when it comes to buying most foods that either don't agree with me, make me fat or are otherwise unhealthy.

I recently read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book cover to cover. He presents an addiction-oriented outlook on carbohydrates that I could really relate to. He is now dead thus he is not around to defend his diet so it is not very popular anymore. I do not believe it is realistic or sustainable to restrict one's carb intake as much as Dr Atkins recommends, but I do like the concept of limited carb consumption and his principle of carbohydrate addiction.

I feel ya. I know everything in moderation. I went to a b day party yesterday and downed 3 slices of cheesecake without thinking. Afterwards Im telling myself i can't do that any more. On things i love I indulge and thats were i have to watch it. On Dr Atkins you should check out the gabriel diet book he was a personal friend and student of Atkins his story is eye opening and inspiring.

Thanks so much QO. This is really interesting and also a patch of your background I didn't know about. I tried the Atkins approach a few years ago and lost a few lbs but probably didn't focus on portion control - I don't think you're supposed to eat 3 whole salamis in one sitting!!

I think your insight in to treating food like any other addiction is a brilliant insight, and I really really am going to ponder it. I found it (relatively) easy to quit adderall, because I knew in order to live I had no choice. But food, well you need food to live. I've never won that battle really.

Actually bananas, beans and rice are on my maybe list. I recently cut back on all carbs and bananas have a lot of starch and sugar. Sto I haven't eaten a banana since thanksgiving. But they are really nutritious and I will likely start eating them them when I need more energy this spring and summer. Same with the fruit juices. Ever tried IZZE sparkling fruit juice beverages?

never tried IZZE. is it good? I know a lot of popular diets like Atkins like to follow the Glycemic index, which eliminates certain fruits. But carrots have higher glycemic index then Snickers bars, and so carrots are foods to avoid. I heard starchy vegetables are avoided on the GI index - corn, peas, beets. I do suppose some vegetables and fruits are better than others, but i think generally all fruits and vegetables are better than any of that processed junk...

IZZE is delicious and mostly natural - about 70%fruit juice and sparkling water. I get it at Costco. Any food in its natural form is better than processed food. I really believe that. I am also a big fan of locally grown food. I grew almost all of my veggies last summer and have never felt better. Regarding the GI index, InRecovery, I just learned on a web site you recommended to me that the Insulin Resistance Diet allows for up to 30 grams of carbs in a two hour time frame IF you couple it up with 15 grams of protein. That web site is http://www.fatsecret.com

IZZE is delicious and mostly natural - about 70%fruit juice and sparkling water. I get it at Costco. Any food in its natural form is better than processed food. I really believe that. I am also a big fan of locally grown food. I grew almost all of my veggies last summer and have never felt better. Regarding the GI index, InRecovery, I just learned on a web site you recommended to me that the Insulin Resistance Diet allows for up to 30 grams of carbs in a two hour time frame IF you couple it up with 15 grams of protein. That web site is http://www.fatsecret.com

Wow you grew Ll your vegetables.. That sounds really good and healthy...

Interesting...the insulin resistance diet..I have heard of carb cycling diets like that where you eat it's and proteins at the same time.

You know us news and world report ranks the diets

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets

I tried the Atkins approach a few years ago and lost a few lbs but probably didn't focus on portion control - I don't think you're supposed to eat 3 whole salamis in one sitting!!

The importance of portion sizes is something I have just learned about in the last six months or so. My own hubris used to get in the way of reasonable portion sizes. In fact, I used to laugh at a 1/2 cup "serving" of hash browns, or the nutrition info that was posted for ONE slice of bread. Really? who eats just one slice of bread? So I ignored those serving sizes used for the nutrition information panel. My outlook on portion sizes changed after reading Dr.Atkins book, and following that diet. I started off eating lots of cheese and fatty sausages and soon realized I was not loosing weight. One of the take away messages from that book was this quote: "Although you do not have to count calories, calories DO matter when it comes to weight loss". So, I learned how to control the portions and quit eating when I felt full enough, but not stuffed Hence, my epiphany on portion sizes.

And finally, a quote from Thomas Jefferson: "Never repent for having eaten too little"

The importance of portion sizes is something I have just learned about in the last six months or so. My own hubris used to get in the way of reasonable portion sizes. In fact, I used to laugh at a 1/2 cup "serving" of hash browns, or the nutrition info that was posted for ONE slice of bread. Really? who eats just one slice of bread? So I ignored those serving sizes used for the nutrition information panel. My outlook on portion sizes changed after reading Dr.Atkins book, and following that diet. I started off eating lots of cheese and fatty sausages and soon realized I was not loosing weight. One of the take away messages from that book was this quote: "Although you do not have to count calories, calories DO matter when it comes to weight loss". So, I learned how to control the portions and quit eating when I felt full enough, but not stuffed Hence, my epiphany on portion sizes.

And finally, a quote from Thomas Jefferson: "Never repent for having eaten too little"

portion sizes on Atkins? this must be an updated version of Atkins. It used to be you could as much meat as you wanted irregardless of portion sizes (bacon, sausage, fatty steak, chicken, burgers...) you just couldn't eat carbs. What happens is then your body then enters a state of ketosis where you start to burn fat...

This book was about ten years old and it did NOT emphasize portion sizes of protein and fat - only carbs. I like meat, but I just can't see how eating uncontroled amounts of fatty meat can be very good for anybody. What I was trying to say was that controling portions of everything, and especially carbs, helps to prevent excessive weight gain. That is a lot easier said than done.

• Like 1