QuittingAdderall.com Forums

absolutely...i think controlling portions is the key to everything. just warning. atkins is not a healthy diet, not just because there is so much saturated fat in the diet but because it causes your body to begin to produce ketones so that you start to lose weight. And ketosis is supposed to be really bad for your health. You can google it, and find info..

I dont know though. some people really recommend atkins though, and its supposed to work. some people swear by it. i think i tried it years ago, but found it too hard for me.

Just a heads up. South Beach is a toned down version of a low carb diet. atkins is the most extreme..

A couple of months ago, when I first started doing atkins and eating ultra-low carb meals, I learned a valuable food lesson. Got rid of all the bread, sugar, pasta, and other goodies from my kitchen. If I did eat fast food, or takeout, there was always some kind of a carb like the bun, tortilla, rice or breading that I had to dispose of. Not being one to waste food, I started giving those extra carbs to my dog. My god, within two weeks I had a fat lazy shepherd that layed around and snored all the time! Seeing how those carbs went straight to body fat in my dog gave me the incentive I needed to make long-term changes in the amounts and type of foods I eat. I measured the dog's daily feedings and she has lost that chunkiness, but not all of the excess fat. We both need more daily exercise.

• Like 1

A little story about portion control. When I first moved to NYC 10 years ago, I was so enamored by the food here. Now remember, I moved from London where the food tastes mostly regurgitated and cold apart from the Indian food which is fucking fantastic. But anyway.... being a good farmer's daughter, I was brought up to believe that you have to eat everything on your plate, it's wasteful not to.

Within 2 months of living here, I'd gained 10lbs. I very quickly had to learn that appetizer sizes (while scorned by dinner companions) were the equivalent of dinner portions everywhere else in the world.

Unfortunately I've lived here too long now to be able to turn down the extra cheese in everything, and I can't taste the sugar they put in everything (my family always complains about this... "why do they put sugar in the bread?!"). My tastebuds and insulin levels have adjusted. But you're right. Carbs are evil and we are not supposed to live on them. Pity, I'm VERY addicted.

That slippry slope back to beef....it all started with the Colostrum, Sky. I speculate there was some bad juju created when you consumed those colostrum pills made from the food that nature designed to be the very first bonding experience between a mother cow and her newborne calf. Not intending to lay a guilt trip on you, Sky. :P

• Like 1

There is an interesting article on the front page of today's New York Times about the addictive qualities of junk food. It is really long and I just looked at the pictures so far but I plan on reading it when I have time later on today. I would post a link but I can't even remember the article title and I don't know how to post a link anyway.

I saw the article too and wanted to post it but thought everyone might think I was a NYT junkie! (ok I am, but I do read other stuff too, like the WSJ just to add to the stereotype...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?hpw&_r=0

• Like 1

I saw the article too and wanted to post it but thought everyone might think I was a NYT junkie! (ok I am, but I do read other stuff too, like the WSJ just to add to the stereotype...)

http://www.nytimes.c...d.html?hpw&_r=0

Thanks for posting the link. It really wasn't what I thought it would be. It was more about marketing junk food - which interests me but likely does not have broad appeal.

I proudly subscribe to the NYT. I think it is one of the few online newspapers worth reading regularly!

Speaking of junk food, here's another article about sugar:

"Is Sugar a Killer?" http://www.alternet.org/sugar-killer

It's about a scientist and author who argues that sugar is so bad, it should be regulated like alcohol, and people should be carded to buy it.

It kind of makes me never want to eat sugar again...... and it also kinda makes me want to go buy a box of cookies, cause sugar is ADDICTIVE :)

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this link on sugar. I am a disciple of Robert Lustig. There was a very good NYT article about two years ago entitled "Is Sugar Toxic?". It was based on the you-tube video clip (lecture) by Lustig. I was not aware of his new book "Fat Chance".

I believe sugar IS toxic. I believe that all calories are not metabolized in the same way.

I have been practicing eating like a diabetic even though I am not one. The glycemic index principle says not to consume more than 30 grams of carbs in two hours without consuming about 15 grams of protein at the same time. What it is getting at is the release of excessive insulin. I know if I have over-consumed the carbs if I get tired after eating. I believe insulin makes me sleepy and I responsibly use limited sugars as a natural sleep aid. I have found that I NEVER get tired during the day or evening if I don't over consume the carbs, whether it is rice, potatoes, or sugar. I don't eat bread or crackers anymore. And I don't drink my carbs, either. Well, maybe some occasional fruit juice or wine with a meal. Portion sizes do matter.

And to your last point, Occasional, yes, I agree that sugar is addictive, but only if you over consume it (and any other carbs) and turn on the excessive insulin stream. Once the insulin has been released into your blood, it is hard to turn off those cravings for more and more carbs.

I suggest to everybody that you try strictly limiting your carbs for just one day and see if you feel better, have a more stable mood, and have more energy. You might become aware of a sugar addiction you didn't even know you had!

• Like 1

I agree with you Occasional1 that sugar is addictive, and I am a self-professed carb addict.

Quit-Once, when you began your quest to cut carbs, did it start from a place where you were eating a lot? was it a difficult transition? I've tried to cut carbs before and found it really hard. Almost as hard as quitting adderall and actually, for me, harder than quitting smoking.

I recognized my sugar addiction while I was bingeing and crashing from adderall. I would go on these horrific carb/sugar binges when I went off or dosed down the adderall. During the first nine months of my recovery period, I continued those sugar/carb binges. It all changed for me last summer when I adopted a "mindful eating" approach to food. I kept a food journal on scratch pads - and I wrote EVERYTHING down that went into my body from June thru Sep last year. I started counting calories. I realized it was hardest to control my food intake when I over-consumed the carbs. I looked at the sugar content on every single container of food. Processed sugars / sweetners was the first food that I strictly limited. I lost weight and felt better. Then last fall, I started relapsing and buying more high carb foods and eating fast food and going on food binges. So in December I started doing the Atkins diet and continued it for a couple of months. I gained more sustained energy with a more stable mood. Now. I am simply "carb-conscious". I don't count daily calories and I no longer count the carbs, but I still do avoid eating more than 25-30 grams of carbs all at once. I know that I have over-consumed if I get tired after eating, or experience a "cookie hangover" the next day. By strictly limiting the carbs consumed I can control and prevent the food cravings later on. I actually feel like I have won the battle against excessive food consumption, for now.

• Like 2

Thanks - that's reassuring to know... something to ponder. I know myself well enough to know by now that I am not going to try something for 2 weeks if I can't keep it up for longer than that so a transition to healthier eating will be a big decision for me. Maybe that's an excuse to procrastinate; yep, I'm pretty sure it is...

CHIA seeds. I love them. You put them in water for 10 minutes and they create this gel-type thing and you can drink it and it keeps you hydrated (if you soak them first), it's an amazing source of omega-3s, and it helps keep your blood sugar levels in check. I like putting them in some hot tea. If you like boba tea (bubble tea) it's kind of like that, but much smaller beads.

• Like 1

These are the snack foods I always had on hand while quitting:

Hard boiled eggs

Orville redenbacher 100 calorie microwave popcorn bags

edamame

Veggies and hummus

Sunflower seeds in the shell (takes longer to eat this way)

Sweet potatoes - when I wanted something sweet, I would have a baked sweet potato with honey and cinnamon

Ripe plantains - ripe plantains fried in a little oil are a great dessert

Gerber chicken sticks - like Vienna sausages for toddlers but tastes way better. A 100 calorie protein snack.

When I am eating healthy I like to have eggs with fat free cottage cheese,scrambled. Ww bread. I dispise white bread,unless I am making a PB and j. Soups. bfast is always plain cheerios with a cut up banana. I love huge salads with grilled chicken. Chicken chicken chicken. I make some bomb ass pan fried chicken. But I try not to fry anything too much. Rice cakes. 50 cals apple cinnamon ones with PB on it. Pretzels. Sugarfree icepops, gum, diet coke (my addiction) these things called shiritaki "noodles" 25 Cals for a whole package. Shumai!!! My fav next to sushi. But when I am not healthy, polar opposites. Chips,cookies,candy, anything bad.

When I am eating healthy I like to have eggs with fat free cottage cheese,scrambled. Ww bread. I dispise white bread,unless I am making a PB and j. Soups. bfast is always plain cheerios with a cut up banana. I love huge salads with grilled chicken. Chicken chicken chicken. I make some bomb ass pan fried chicken. But I try not to fry anything too much. Rice cakes. 50 cals apple cinnamon ones with PB on it. Pretzels. Sugarfree icepops, gum, diet coke (my addiction) these things called shiritaki "noodles" 25 Cals for a whole package. Shumai!!! My fav next to sushi. But when I am not healthy, polar opposites. Chips,cookies,candy, anything bad.

Yep, this sounds like text book anorexia food to me... (sorry m'lady, just being honest...)

Well the secret's out... seems that sugar is as toxic for the body as tobacco. What will happen next I wonder?

http://opinionator.b...he-sugar-folks/

Not Much. You think big tobacco had a powerful political lobby? Big Sugar is much more influential. Until society begins to view sugar like a drug and not just another food, not much will change. Here is my justification for considering sugar and high fructose corn syrup like a drug:

Oh fuck it, I don't have the time to make this post and have it make any sense.

Check out this website: www.fructosefree.com

It has some good information but I don't know how accurate it is.

Sugar IS toxic.

• Like 1

I met a guy at the airport last week (if you ever want an interesting way to meet people in a totally random way try being at an airport when a winter storm hits... I was stuck in O'Hare airport for 11 hours [sigh]) who was a sales guy for some agribusiness company that sold supplements to farmers for their cattle feed. Being a farm girl myself, I asked a few rudimentary questions because I really don't know too much about how cattle get fed here... and boy, it was not a fun answer. I stopped listening after a couple of sentences because the dehumanization and "scientification" (my word) of beef production is really, really scary. I don't eat beef much these days anyway but I'm considering veganism now.

Not Much. You think big tobacco had a powerful political lobby? Big Sugar is much more influential. Until society begins to view sugar like a drug and not just another food, not much will change. Here is my justification for considering sugar and high fructose corn syrup like a drug:

Oh fuck it, I don't have the time to make this post and have it make any sense.

Check out this website: www.fructosefree.com

It has some good information but I don't know how accurate it is.

Sugar IS toxic.

PS I'll check it out, thanks QO. When did you get in to this - sounds like you know a lot about it. Tell us the story!

• 2 weeks later...

I am not very successful with sticking to it however I believe in the 'paleo lifestyle' or diet. Some have talked about the Atkiens diet and although it is similar Paleo is (or should be) a good balance of healthy organic vegetables and natural grass fed meat. Ideally in the 'zone diet' proportions.

The idea is that we were healthier 10,000+ years ago when we were hunter gatherers and going to grains and agriculture were bad for us.

Key points :

No grains (or rice etc)

No dairy

No legumes

No sugar or processed foods.

Marksdailyapple.com is a good resource if interested.