QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Can I Do This?

LechaDodi

Hi Community,

First, I love seeing all these posts of like-minded people who share the same troubles. Quitting adderall is a challenge because we need to eliminate a superpower to get our funny, quirky, real selves back.

Today I went so long without it. I ran into some people I know and I felt great talking to them. I have anxiety problems and I realize that Adderall is the root of these problems -- it amps me up, worries me, and causes me a great deal of discomfort -- even physical discomfort like underarm sweating and heart races.

But I don't think I can do this guys. When I take my adderall and go to the library I am a do FUCKING BUSINESS. I respond to emails, work and study.

I know that using the Adderall reduces my drive and will to truly WANT to study, and that I use it as a crutch but it is SO necessary if I want to succeed. Please help me.

• Like 1

You're right. Adderall is definitely causing the anxiety. Remember this, every time u take it, you are depleting your belief that you can control your own circumstances enough to perform well. Before long you won't feel like you can do anything well without it. Adderall is not just physically addictive, it is psychologically addictive. Already you've lost faith in your ability to study without it..it only gets worse.

• Like 1

pretty soon you wont be able to face problems head on without it...you'll continue to lose confidence in your own abiltiies if you haven't taken adderall...when life throws things at you, you wont feel like you can deal with it without it..and if you don't take it, youll begin to feel like you're falling short of your expectations...that's the psychological addiction of adderall.

Forget about the pshysical part, where it messes with your ability to produce dopamine in your brain properly..

I appreciate the response but only some of that is true. I am inclined to give up Adderall -- I never take more than 15 mg XR a day and I find the physical and psychological dependence repulsive. It's not that I have given up on every demand of life, it's just that I hate it when I can't study. I have taken ADHD medication since middle school (I am in college) and I just question whether I really have it in me because I have had attention problems since the beginning of time.

I just need to find a way to study without it. Otherwise I am the happiest man alive.

It's been a long time since I was a student, but I can tell you from having taken adderall to deal with "real world" pressures like managing a career and finances and other shit life throws at you, that the anxiety you feel from adderall does not get better, it only gets worse. Even after quitting over 4 months ago, it is taking me a long time to be able to overcome social anxiety and feel confident in myself again.

Please take it from me - if you don't quit now, you will potentially be damaging your confidence and ability to be confident and capable FOR LIFE.

I don't mean to scare you, but yes actually I do. Run, don't walk from adderall. It might make you exhausted and unconfident and more incapable for a while but you will be ultimately investing in your future. YOU CAN DO THIS.

• Like 1