QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Adderall & Parkinsons

Been researching this because when i was abusing adderall i was having a lot of motor tics.

Unbelievably shaky hands, slight head twitching side to side, leg twitches.

Well, it has been like 18 days since my last pill. I noticed the other day when i was driving and i turned my head to the left it was real shaky. I can't explain it well.

Like, i turned my head and it was shaking like when you do a lot of squats and your legs tremble, that was my head/neck.

This happens once in a while. In class i still have to lean on my hands or my head gets all spastic.

I found this quote online, "A study published July 26 in the Journal “Drug and Alcohol Dependence†has found a strong link between amphetamine use and Parkinson’s Disease. This very large study, covering 280,000 patients hospitalized for rehab, found that amphetamine users had a 76% increased risk of developing PD."

"Parkinson’s disease is a degenerative disorder marked by reduction in dopamine receptors in the brain"

So maybe if i got more dopamine somehow the shakes would stop a little? IDK, but i am a little spooked.

This was in my top five list of reasons for quitting adderall. I could not live with myself if I knew I had caused a disease like Parkinsons from an addiction. The good news is with time away from the drug, the shaking gradually diminishes, at least in my experiences. Adolph Hitler had severe amphetamine-induced Parkinsons disease.

• Like 1

Quit-once,

Same here....one of my top reasons for quitting as well. Being scared shitless that I was doing permanent damage to my body, and especially risking Parkinson's, led me to quitting. Going into full-blown amphetamine-induced psychosis and this were in my top five. If I would've continued, there's no doubt in my mind I would've been in a psychotic state, because my symptoms were mimicking exactly that. And reading here how many people that actually did, I was most likely right.

• Like 1

Quit-once,

Same here....one of my top reasons for quitting as well. Being scared shitless that I was doing permanent damage to my body, and especially risking Parkinson's, led me to quitting. Going into full-blown amphetamine-induced psychosis and this were in my top five. If I would've continued, there's no doubt in my mind I would've been in a psychotic state, because my symptoms were mimicking exactly that. And reading here how many people that actually did, I was most likely right.

Yes, this. Pretty sure i was in psychosis. I mean i experienced it 3 times in my high school days. CRAZY. Due to being awake fr 3 days straight though.

But i feel much more sane now. I don't question everything i think and do. But i REALLY hope the shakes fade.

Searchingsoul,

I bet the shakes will fade. I don't remember if that was an issue for me when quitting, but it would make sense that it might not stop immediately. I don't think you have anything to worry about. How long have you been off of adderall again?

I was getting them terribly even after I stopped. The hand shaking I can deal with but the but the head and lips has been really embarrassing Anyway, Parkinsons is attributed to degeneration of the nigrostriatal neurons in one of the main (mesostriatal) dopaminergic pathways of the brain. Amphetamines are dopaminergic agonists, meaning they facilitate the usage of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is synthesized from the precursor l-tyrosine, a very permeable amino acid.

All science mumbo-jumbo aside, you can buy l-tyrosine for cheaper than most multivitamins at a ton of places (health stores, grocery stores, GNC). I just bought it like two days ago along with some super-duper multivitamins and its helped a ton. I've had more energy, been less moody, and the shakes have gone away for the most part.

• Like 1

Yup thats one of the things that also scared me into quitting. I did have slight shaky trembling hands but that has seemed to stop. I haven't been on adderall I'm guessing since early January I think? Almost two months. The shaky symptoms should stop, I think thats a sign of low dopamine. I couldn't imagine being on adderall for life, your chances of parkinsons would be pretty high. I'm no doc, but then again I'm no idiot, and I knew enough to realize my Doc didn't give 2 craps about how I really felt and was just pushing more drugs on me. Thats when the thought hit me "this guy is a white collar legalized institutionalized drug pusher who works for Pharma Corp." He was a nice guy, but hey I'm not drinking the kool-aid anymore.

• Like 3

Yup thats one of the things that also scared me into quitting. I did have slight shaky trembling hands but that has seemed to stop. I haven't been on adderall I'm guessing since early January I think? Almost two months. The shaky symptoms should stop, I think thats a sign of low dopamine. I couldn't imagine being on adderall for life, your chances of parkinsons would be pretty high. I'm no doc, but then again I'm no idiot, and I knew enough to realize my Doc didn't give 2 craps about how I really felt and was just pushing more drugs on me. Thats when the thought hit me "this guy is a white collar legalized institutionalized drug pusher who works for Pharma Corp." He was a nice guy, but hey I'm not drinking the kool-aid anymore.

Good for you :) It's a useless, life ruining drug