QuittingAdderall.com Forums

My story and seeking advice after the first 30 days

AddyQuitter

I used generic adderall instant release for over 4 years beginning in 2008 when I was 33 years old. My tolerance progressively increased over time from 10mg once a day to up to a highest daily dose of 20mg + twice a day (between January 2012 through April 2012). Before quitting 30 days ago, I was down to 20mg instant release once a day. I originally used the drug for weight loss with significant success (lost over 60lbs). During the first year and a half I was also committed to a dedicated exercise regimen and a nutritious, low fat diet. Adderall seemed to turn on a metabolic light for me and my mood could be described as euphoric after taking a dose. As I grew in strength and endurance, I used adderall to "tap" energy to add and to lengthen my workouts to get faster results. I took it pre-workout in place of other workout stimulants like No-explode and C4. It seemed like a miracle drug. I looked and felt better than I had since high school.

In late 2009 I lost my job (downsizing not adderall related) and had to move back home. My financial circumstances changed dramatically and negatively, I was unemployed, etc. and I used adderall to get motivated and overcome depression. Took no other meds. In early 2010 I took a job outside my education and background that required significant physical stamina and long hours for alot less money. I was unable to maintain my former exercise regimen, the quality of my diet deteriorated siginificantly and developed insomnia. My weight fluctuated a good bit. I remained in this job through April 2012. It was during this period of significant stress that my adderall use turned into adderall abuse. My tolerance grew rapidly and I became anxious about having a enough pills handy. In 2012 my duties and responsibilities increased and I was faced with the choice of remaining fully commited to this job or pursuing a career in my former field. It was during this period that my adderall use peaked. I recognized that my health was compromised and decided to leave the job.

By late 2011 and 2012 the euphoria and weight loss effects were gone. When I began the job in 2010 I was a muscular, energetic 6' 178 when I left in April 2012, I was a lathargic, flabby 228lbs. I felt tired even after taking the pill. I didn't get a pump after workouts. There was siginificant crash effect and my anxiety and mood swings were noticable. I weened down from approx. 45mg/day to 20mg a day by December 2012. I read articles about how over time adderall abuse can increase cortizol levels and actually increase resistance to abdominal weight loss. My weight peaked at 244lbs in December 2012. On March 1st 2013, receiving no appreciable benefit from adderall, I stopped taking it. During the first two weeks, I felt completely exhausted, mentally foggy and had vivid and disturbing nightmares. I finally got online and found out about L-Tyrsoine and B6 supplements but can't find consitent information on appropriate doses for my age (37 soon to be 38yrs), size (6' 233lbs) and sex (male). I am eating pretty clean, taking 1000mg of L-Tyrosine and 1000mg of B12 daily. Fighting cravings for refined sugar. I have pushed my self to do limited cardio bout 30 to 40 min treadmill daily and some weight lifting (just starting bout 45 min session). I have been maintaining my weight at about 233lbs with muscle. I am taking C4 pre-workout powder to get through a workout. Not optimal and makes me a little jittery but it gets the job done. Still tired and foggy more than I want to be. Not trying to be too graphic but after eating quality yogurt daily and taking a round of strong probitics my bowel movements are solid again. I don't want adderall anymore.

But I need to get information and resources on quality supplements and dosing information to maintain appropriate levels of energry and support while I reregulate and adjust to not having the adderall to support my workouts. Info on zinc, vitamin C, the B's and general diet info would be greatly appreciated. Also, especially interested in natural supplements and foods to diminsh cortizol levels and adrenal support. Ive been under consistently high levels of stress for about four years. I am very motivated to lose weight and regain strength and overall good health. I am taking no prescription meds or over the counter sleep aids at the moment. Not sure if its helpful but family medical history includes hypothyroidism. Although I have never been diagnosed myself I have experienced a number of symptoms consistent with the condition. Thanks very much for letting me tell my story and for any help you may have to offer me. April 1, 2013 30-days adderall free.

• Like 1

Hi and congratulations on 30 days! You have been through quite an ordeal. The good news is that you can and will recover and your body will indeed re-regulate. The time it takes seems to vary from individual to individual. I have been off heavy ritalin abuse just about 3 months and in that amount of time have tried many supplements. Most of them I found through the supplements section of this site and others through various bodybuilding forums. In my experience, L-Tyrosine is a very good place to start. Another I have found that gives me a lot of energy is bsn atro-phex which is sold at gnc and amazon. I take this with yerba mate and l-tyrosine (morning "stack" lol.) Another thing that helps a lot are the superfoods -- green smoothies made of spinach, romaine, kale, carrots, pear ... whatever you like just throw it in there! Honestly I think these things give me more energy than any supplement. But it all helps.

In my early days of ritalin before I started abusing it I was pretty strong but as the abuse increased my body grew weaker so I basically stopped weight-lifting and eventually running. Three months after quitting cold turkey I'm FINALLY starting to get back to a normal level of energy. And you will too. Good luck on your journey and stick with it -- you're worth it!

This is actually my first post on here but have been lurking for awhile. OP you are actually where I am in terms of taking Adderall as a pre-workout boost. I am an amateur bodybuilder and made the mistake of relying on addys as a preworkout.. I am 20 days off Adderall (vyvanse actually but its the same shit). As you already know there is nothing....NOTHING that comes REMOTELY close to the energy/motivational & mood lift you get off addy/vyvanse compared to any pre-workout.. Now going to the gym and working out is a drag... but you have to force yourself.. What I do is I will go odd hours, where a big hoodie, put my headphones on and bang out the weights. I imagine the weights as Adderall and the more reps I do the more Adderall will leave me( as silly as this sounds it works)... Im not sure if you feel this way but I feel "mentally naked" without my vyvanse going to the gym. From what the research I have done really the only thing is time, good diet, and force yourself to lift intense and heavy which will make recovery faster...

Just a quick word of thanks to you guys for acknowledging my story and for the helpful advice. Lea, thanks for the info on the "am stack." Do you drink the yerba mate like a tea or how do you incorporate that? I'll serach this site and prob hit up the viatmin store and try to get some info on height/weight appropriate dosing for the L-Tyrosine. Smoothies are a solid choice to get protein and whole foods all the time. I'm a believer. Liltex41 a big thank you for the encouragement and your story is super motivating. Working on getting back up to a solid 5K with a good time (on treadmill) for now. Looking ahead. NBP really good to know someone else out there knows whats up. It sucks to know it but I suspected that the huge rush of those early days just cant be duplicated by pre-workout powders at GNC. In some ways I think I even knew then that it might be a one time deal with the superman mood you get with early amphetamine use. I needed to hear it though. It saved me an expensive trial and error of purchasing alot of bs pre-workout powders looking for the holy grail. That said, if there are any recommendations on a good non-amphetamine pre-workout cocktail to get motivated I'm listening. Using sets as positive motivation is a great idea. "Mentally naked" is spot on. Adderall was like my pre-workout armor getting me through added reps and sets, keeping me moving past fatigue- well you know. The thirty-day mark was important to me to gain confidence in my self-discipline. Im def comitted to regaining and maintaining strength and endurance so the gym is a must. I know there's no quick fix or magic correction but looking for foods and/or vitamins, healthy supplements to trigger metabolism and supress cortizol production is def on my radar. The fatigue and needng alot more down time mainly before workouts sucks. Stay with it. The 30-day mark feels good man. Being in control of your body and knowing you can get throughh a workout without addy is a good feeling.

This is a really interesting thread to read, and thanks for your honesty Addy Quitter. You have put your body through a lot! And you are retaining a strong sense of commitment to getting to a healthier body without adderall. Adderall and workouts for me never worked well together. I had a trainer for a while, we started at 5:30am and I'd pop 10mg just before I started... but all I ever felt was weak and heart-attack-y.

Lea has some good suggestions and I also use atrophex along with coffee and red bull to get me going in the morning (that's my "morning stack"). I haven't yet figured out the afternoon stack and I have a bad history with sugar so will have to watch it closely but 5 hr energy seems to be a good start.

LILTEX's iron man training plan has really got me thinking. One of the reasons maybe that I haven't been consistent with my working out is that I don't have a goal. I used to do duathlons so maybe I should pick a Sprint distance to do in late May and just train for it.

• Like 1

Do you drink the yerba mate like a tea or how do you incorporate that? I'll serach this site and prob hit up the viatmin store and try to get some info on height/weight appropriate dosing for the L-Tyrosine.

I initially tried yerba mate tea but don't love the taste so I take the supplement by source naturals. I do one, sometimes 2 with the am stack, 2 atro-phex and 1000 mg l-tyrosine -- followed by a green smoothie and then protein @ least an hour after the smoothie. Since quitting ritalin I have stopped drinking coffee in the morning so I figure this stack has to be doing something. :D

I haven't quite figured out the afternoon though... Trying to lay off the supplements because they don't seem to have much of an effect after eating.

I do like NathuralBrainPower's advice of putting on a big old hoodie and lifting weights!

Lea, yeah the reason I wear a big hoodie is because as all of us know when you are withdrawing from addy/vyvanse you DO NOT like socializing or even have a conversation with anyone because mentally you are socially withdrawn to a certain degree and by wearing a big hoodie, cap, and wearing earphones you can somewhat avoid people coming up to you and start yapping away in which while on addy you can yap away for hours (atleast this is how it is with me). Like a mentioned in my first post, off of amphetamines you really feel mentally naked when you go outside as if everyone is staring at you or get anxiety when around people but everyone knows exercise is one of the key in making recovery faster... Withdrawing from addy really sucks because of the LINGERING symptoms that lasts for some people over a year

• Like 1