QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Thyroid Disorder? Insomnia?

Sebastian05

Hey Guys:

I've been having a terrible time trying to sleep ever since i quit. Yesterday marks 13 weeks off of 10-20mg a day and I don't really think im doing much better.

I fall asleep without issue, but i surely wake up a few hours later and cant fall asleep. I lay there alone in bed and in absolute horror. I can't stop thinking about what could be catastrophically wrong with me.

I've been having serious anxiety and depression lately. The anxiety is just crazy though. Its been worse....lately its not as bad as it once was, but its still pretty awful.

I'm always really thirsty, especially at night after i fall asleep and wake up a few hours later, i could easily go through 1-2 liters of water. My eyes are feeling really dry lately too, and I dunno if thats just from a constant lack of sleep or something else.

Naturally, I googled these symptoms and they all tie into Hypothyroidism....depression, lack of motivation, anxiety, just an overall slowed feeling, etc etc.

I've found some posts online too where people are convinced that adderall has totally screwed with their thyroid and now they suffer from hypothyroid.

I'm calling my doctor today because i really think i need to get blood work done. I can't keep living life like this. I feel like my life is in ruins and it all started after I quit taking adderall.

It takes all of my might to go outside for a run and it takes great great effort just to go to work.

There's no way I could possibly live the rest of my life like this. If there is a hell, I feel like im in it right now because I feel so tortured.

When i come home from work, im generally so happy to not be at work, that i'll just get in a quick workout or run and then just sit on the couch and relax and watch tv. its like the only time of the day where i'm somewhat happy.

I used to derive such pleasure from working out. I used to be a gym rat where I was in the gym for 1-2 hours a day 5 days a week.

I feel like im totally falling apart. If anyone has any input on the thyroid issue, i would immensely appreciate it.

I gotta grab a shower and head out the door and go to work and just pray to god that today isnt another misery and exhaustion filled day :(

Thanks for the reply Kyle. Im totally freaking out because most people here complain about sleeping too much and being really tired, ravenously hungry and depressed after quitting adderall. I, on the other hand, am tired and full of anxiety, have zero appetite, tend to get really cold a lot (and that was never ever a characteristic of mine), and im pretty consistently VERY thirsty. The insomnia is killing me. I must have been a real piece of trash in my former life to be dragged through the mental and physical anguish im being dragged through right now. I miss the old me so much.

I had my thyroid tested like 6 months ago, because I was tired a lot and felt depressed too. All came back normal, so I knew it was a part of quitting like Kyle, but it's worth getting checked out.

The lack of appetite could be a side effect of the intense anxiety. I don't want to eat when I'm stressed out.

Ashley, have u had any insomia issues post-quit? How has your mood/depression been lately? Im hesitant to start my wellbutrin script. It really scares me. Going thru what im going thru now post-adderall im so frightened to do anything that could potentially make things worse. My level of fear right now is really high. I feel like i threw my life in the garbage. Ive been nothing but depressed and very anxious with periodic glimpses of relaxation and happiness. This is no way for a life to be lived. Im trying really hard to ride this out. Sometimes i wish i could just curl up in a ball and disappear.

If you are having some blood work done, I suggest you also check your vitamin D level and blood sugar too. Excessive thirst and poor circulation can be a sign of insulin resistance or pre-diabetes. Are you overweight or do you binge on sugar/carbs?

I had a blood test done about four months after I quit. I was in the lower range of normal for thyroid hormone but I was vitamin D deficient, which really surprised me. As far as the insomnia goes, that is kinda normal for kicking any addiction. And as far as the depression goes, well, you do have some wellbutrin at your disposal so try it out it might help.

• Like 1

Oh great. :( now im even more anxious. Diabetes?!?! Im not overweight. Im not in THE BEST shape of my life, but im certainly not in bad shape. Diabetes does run in the fam, but no one in immediate fam has it. Ughhhhhhh. What have i done to deserve all this? :( im so heart broken and discouraged now

Dude, have you started taking the Wellbutrin yet?

If so, it could be that.

If not, it could be a symptom of your depression. Or recovery. I had unusual sleep patterns (aggitation + exhaustion at times).

Whatever, I don't think it's anything to worry about. You have enough to worry about as it is!

Have you tried Melatonin?

• Like 1

Hey MFA. I didnt start the wellbutrin yet. So scared about fucking with my brain more than the adderall already has. Im gonna go to gnc today and pick up some L-Tyrosine. Plus my shrink is such a drug pushing jerk. She wont return CVS's calls for over a week now. She rx'd me 150mg xl for one week and then boosted it to 300mg from there. When i noticed that, she just said to have the pharmacy call her and if 150 is working out that i can just stay on that, but she seemed pissed off that i didnt want to raise my dose immediately after a week. I have an appointment with my primary doc on tuesday. Gonna get a full physical and blood work. Ä° wanna make sure my adrenal glands and thyroid are ok. Beyond that,ile i said....the wellbutrin scares me.:::i know that probably sounds ridiculous and weak of me but im really scared of psychotropic drugs now...but i very well may just start them if things dont get better....i fell asleep at 1030 last night....slept till 5:45 which is amazing for me, but i woke with dreadful anxiety so i had no choice but to pop a .25 xanax to relax me...i was then able to sleep till 9:45.....god damn this drug adderall... Its the poisonous apple for those with great ambitions.

Oh great. :( now im even more anxious. Diabetes?!?! Im not overweight. Im not in THE BEST shape of my life, but im certainly not in bad shape. Diabetes does run in the fam, but no one in immediate fam has it. Ughhhhhhh. What have i done to deserve all this? :( im so heart broken and discouraged now

get some protein and adrenal extract cells, there is a good chance your adrenals are shot. I had the same symptoms of waking up in the middle of the night with panic/terror. Crashed adrenals causes hypoglcemic like crashes. Try eating something good before bed. Maybe try brown rice. I know your feeling the crash is what is waking you up, feels like something bads going to happen, like the end of the world.

Sounds like you have adrenal fatigue. Adrenals are responsible for making over 30 hormones, when the become stressed and crash it's hell on earth, and they affect your thyroid. Adderall is rocket fuel to the adrenal gland.

I just read - you get cold a lot, that adrenal fatigue, which causes low blood sugar crashes, memory problems, confusion, anxiety. Eat a lot of small meals during the day, stay away from caffine and stressful things or people who are energy vampires. This gland has to repair and if not done right it can get worse. Dr james wilson has a great book on this subject a step by step guide. Try not to worry yourself your body is having a hard time making hormones. Eat and you should start to feel better, and when you feel the bad feeling coming back eat some more. The traditional doc isnt going to treat this, but you have all the signs, its curable just take the right steps and avoid all things stressful. Get some celtic sea salt or himalyan pink salt add 1 tea spoon a day to water and drink your adrenals really need it. Salt really helps me

This is just a guess, but im almost certain that is your issue

• Like 3

MickeyD this is really an interesting approach. My mother was very supportive of natural medicine, but she is also a bit of a nutcase so I was turned off a bit. I'm now realizing there has to be some merit in it because the standard American diet and medical approach is clearly lacking. I just see so many people who turn in to hippy nazis (I live in an area that's full of moms who picket outside school because they allow the ice cream truck to park in front of the playground after school, for example), and it kind of turns me off. That said, I am way beyond exhausted for my age, my skin is terrible and I look older than I should. I am tired a lot and I don't want to be on medication forever.

Can you recommend any good places to start - either some tests or books to read? Will I have to go through a "crash" before feeling better? And I will be traveling a reasonable amount with my new job... what kind of challenges does that present? Thanks so much for your help.

MickeyD this is really an interesting approach. My mother was very supportive of natural medicine, but she is also a bit of a nutcase so I was turned off a bit. I'm now realizing there has to be some merit in it because the standard American diet and medical approach is clearly lacking. I just see so many people who turn in to hippy nazis (I live in an area that's full of moms who picket outside school because they allow the ice cream truck to park in front of the playground after school, for example), and it kind of turns me off. That said, I am way beyond exhausted for my age, my skin is terrible and I look older than I should. I am tired a lot and I don't want to be on medication forever.

Can you recommend any good places to start - either some tests or books to read? Will I have to go through a "crash" before feeling better? And I will be traveling a reasonable amount with my new job... what kind of challenges does that present? Thanks so much for your help.

I know the health hippies really give nutrition a bad rep. If you have had amalgam fillings in your past, you for sure have some level if not a high level of mercury toxicity. Mercury poisoning mimics so many diseases and I believe is the main culprit of being ADD. Detoxing metals is the best place to start because it will make a huge difference in how you feel. Im not against the american medical association, they are good at trauma and surgery, but at chronic disease they just flat out suck.

Infared saunas help with detoxing. I've heard some phenomenal testimonies of people detoxing and feeling great from far infared saunas. I've yet to try them.

I would recommend a CEDSA test. This test really exposed a lot of bad things going on in me. They are not too pricey, and the remedies are reasonable. Not pricey compared to the money I've spent on shotgunning supplements and going to doctors who said I was fine when I knew I wasn't.

A crash before feeling better? Depends, detoxing anything can make you feel worse, but on the upside you will feel so much better it will be worth it. Just be careful detoxing metals because if not done right you can cause damage. If you decide to detox metals pm me I can send you more info on what I'm doing. So far I feel great from detoxing metals. I actually feel self motivated to get things done. I didn't feel that before chelation. I'm no MD so these are just suggestions.

Best wishes with the job. Just pace your self and try not to get stressed out. I know not having energy and fighting brain fog is annoying, and discouraging. Just have some hope, thats the strongest thing you can have. The hope that you will and are getting better and that your not doomed to feel tired, unfocused and lethargic forever.

Dr Leonard Coldwell has a 98% cancer cure rate. His appearance on coast to coast in 2011... I think 2011? This radio interview is golden if you can find it. He totally simplifies the mechanics of the human body and why people stay sick and tired. It revolutionized my thinking. I will try to find you a link.

Just realize in this country people eat junk, poison, GMOs, and chemicals, if you can start to grasp that and become conscious of your food, you will probably go in the right direction. I'm the type I would rather change my thinking and my food and feel great, instead of not changing and continuing to eat junk and feel tired, lethargic, foggy and lazy. I use to be very creative and social, that's the best feeling in the world to me, and through a paradigm shift in my beliefs, I can see I'm coming back to my youthful energy and will probably feel better than I've ever felt in my whole life when I'm done with the healing process. I grew up eating whatever, getting vaccines, going to the dentist and getting mercury shoved in my teeth. I'm awake now and can take my life into my own hands, and I'm not buying the lies anymore, I'm stepping out of the matrix and becoming proactive about my well being.

As far as documentaries watch these, they are a great place to start. You can find them instant stream on netflix

A Beautiful Truth

The Gerson Treatment

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

• Like 3

Thank you so much. This is all serious stuff to take in, and I'll return to your post several times. I will also watch the documentaries (as I love any documentary so it won't be difficult). My own father claims to have put is cancer in remission through homeopathic remedies (although he's also an alcoholic so I'm not sure I believe his testaments of healthiness). But he does claim the herbs and so on he takes have paused his Multiple Myaloma (sp?) so there's that.

Not sure how to respond just now or even how to think about getting started on this stuff. I've just started exercising again as well so I don't want to go through too much change all at once, especially as this job means a lot to me psychologically (it's like a born-again-type experience after the last job was so catasrophic for me when I was on adderall). And as you may have read before I don't really spend a lot of time in the kitchen, which I know needs to change.

But thank you again for the help so far and I might PM you once I've had a chance to do a bit more research.

You're very generous with your thoughts and input and I'm really grateful.

And as you may have read before I don't really spend a lot of time in the kitchen, which I know needs to change.

MFA, you've got a hang up with eating right and I'm afraid you really can't move forward beyond your recovery unless you take your nutrition more seriously. It doesn't have to be "time in the kitchen". All it takes is a commitment and a plan. And not purchasing bad food in the first place. You ask people all the time what is their plan for quitting adderall, so I will ask you: "what is your plan for better nutrition?" This has to be in your top three priorities of life right now because it means better health and quicker recovery. It really requires some planning and thought, especially since you will be on the road a lot with your new job.

When I was a little kid they had posters in our school lunch room saying "you are what you eat" and it is still true today.

• Like 1

I had stopped taking ritalin November 15, and then on January 25 I relapsed for one day, took 3 x 10 mg and was AMPED. I felt awful. Anyways, I've been clean since. I stopped coming on here because a part of me thinks that by doing so I am thinking about it more then I would (by "it" I mean ritalin) and that maybe it would be better if I didn't think about it so much. I don't believe that that is the case but a part of me thinks that, if that makes any sense. For some reason I just wanted to drop in, so I did.

it's good to see you're doing well IR

Yeah I think when we last talked I was freaked out and just starting grad school. I have eased into it. I like it a lot here,made friends now. Swamped in work, but its definitely been a process of rebuilding myself. I'm glad I'm here though.

Thanks - well if you don't count Jan 25 it's been four months - but I feel better overall. The only thing I've taken except vitamins has been Wellbutrin, but it became harder and harder to tolerate and finally three weeks ago I stopped taking that. What I mean is that as my energy levels have started returning the Wellbutrin became too activating and stimulating, so I think it's a good thing I can't handle it anymore. So ya doin' pretty good but you know always one pill away from relapse and I don't want to forget that, so thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah it is a scary thing. Adderall addiction Has gotten a lot of media attention. If you look a few threads back, Ashley and lil tex were in SELF magazine and posted the article..which was a quittingadderall highlight a couple weeks back. We are always one pill away. But I guess the more time we get away from it the chance of relapsing gets less and less. I just made that statistic up, but I hope it's true.

You ask people all the time what is their plan for quitting adderall, so I will ask you: "what is your plan for better nutrition?"

You got me. Right on, QO. Even on the internets you have a way of getting to the heart of the matter very quickly and you're not wrong here. In some ways, the food thing is harder than quitting adderall because you can't go cold turkey on food. And honestly I'm like a baby learning to walk again with the food stuff. I don't know whether to go Paleo, Vegan, Low Carb, Balanced (ie Zone), Atkins etc etc. The whole thing confuses me and I've tried a lot of things before in the past that didn't work which is a lot of the reason I went on adderall in the first place.

I want to get to the place where it's not a big hassle to eat healthy, because right now it seems like a big hassle. I've been a slave to diets most of my life and I've had a nutty (pardon the pun) relationship with food for years now, so it's hard to know where to start. This probably sounds like I'm making excuses... I'm not! I just don't know when or how to begin to take better care of myself through my diet.

• Like 1

Thanks - well if you don't count Jan 25 it's been four months - but I feel better overall. The only thing I've taken except vitamins has been Wellbutrin, but it became harder and harder to tolerate and finally three weeks ago I stopped taking that. What I mean is that as my energy levels have started returning the Wellbutrin became too activating and stimulating, so I think it's a good thing I can't handle it anymore. So ya doin' pretty good but you know always one pill away from relapse and I don't want to forget that, so thanks.

Krax, it's so great to hear you're going strong! Such a relief and we have all been thinking of you. It's great you're off all (?) the meds now, I think. What a turnaround for you. How is the admin stuff going? I remember you talking about how it was hard to get the paperwork done without the adderall...