QuittingAdderall.com Forums

CHEATING

Greg

I have been meaning to post this several times here to get advice. I am so pissed off at my class and my "ORGANIC CHEMISTRY" professor. . On the first exam, about 90% of our class cheated and worked together. There is one girl in the class who knows everything so she just gave out the answers and they all copied it down. And then they wrote down their answers differently .

I thought they were all going to get caught I didn't want to cheat so I did it myself. Plus, the whole being ethical thing! Anyway, they continued to cheat on the 2nd and third exams and they all got like A+'s! Its riduculous. And this is like about 90% of my class. I decided not to cheat and to do all the homework and all the reading and participate in class just like our professor told us to do. Of course, when the test results came back, everyone who didn't do any of the work got like 20 points higher than me. This also happened to all of my classmates who didn't cheat and well

Now I WANT to cheat so I can keep up with the rest of the class. But its not like I can just get into a cheating group. There are a few people in this class who are not cheating and they are also getting screwed over. Ughh..I am not going to report any of the people cheating because I really consider them all to be my friends and im not going to rat them out. I'm just really frustrated. Ithis whole thing is total BS. Just venting but if anyone has anything to say…

I have not felt so analytical over a problem since I was on Adderall –LOL!! But I spend so much time thinking about this whole thing.

ashley, uhh...I think there is someone else who i might work with on this...i feel like an idiot for not working with someone else though!! ethics have gone out the window in this class. The person i was going to work with yesterday was like ' i dont know, i want to feel like im doing the work on my own' and then suddenly she texted me today and was like 'we are meeting tomorrow to work on the exam right?' So i was like 'yeah..i guess so'...

yeah, they could get kicked out, definitely could fail and be brought before the ethics board. And i was like, in the beginning, i was like i would rather get a really bad grade then risk getting kicked out. But our profressor (grrrrrrrr) is so oblivious to it (i think he turns a blind eye to it or just..i dont know. I mean we have to a sign contract before our exam, pledging not to cheat) that i feel like an idiot for not working with anyone on this..They are all getting like 98 on their exam, and they dont do jack. I slave away in this dumb class and our professor always says in every class if you work hard and do all the problems you will get an A. that's bull....sigh.

So...i dont know.

It is organic chemistry, and that subject just SUCKS! It took me 2 or 3 times to get through it. What does organic chem have to do with B-School anyway? If it looks like you cannot salvage any better grade than a C, is it too late to drop the class? I suggest you talk to your advisor and see if he has any input for you. It is pretty common for students to get hung up on a chemistry or math class. I would probbably be right where you are now if I was in your situation. I like to think I am an ethical person, and most of the worst lies I have ever told were related to my addiction to adderall. I don't like to cheat. But I am also a realist and I know you gotta do what you gotta do even if you must hold your nose while doing it. Your situation sucks. I wish I could give you a better comment than this but I just don't have any good advice.

• Like 1

hey man. at the end of the day, at least you're in B-school and not law school.

This goes for all of you out there....if you know of anyone who says "i think i wanna be a lawyer"...punch them in the mouth.

SOMETHING TO PONDER:

George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate. An observation by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

• Like 4

It is organic chemistry, and that subject just SUCKS! It took me 2 or 3 times to get through it. What does organic chem have to do with B-School anyway? If it looks like you cannot salvage any better grade than a C, is it too late to drop the class? I suggest you talk to your advisor and see if he has any input for you. It is pretty common for students to get hung up on a chemistry or math class. I would probbably be right where you are now if I was in your situation. I like to think I am an ethical person, and most of the worst lies I have ever told were related to my addiction to adderall. I don't like to cheat. But I am also a realist and I know you gotta do what you gotta do even if you must hold your nose while doing it. Your situation sucks. I wish I could give you a better comment than this but I just don't have any good advice.

LOL. i changed the subject to organic chemistry..in quotes. i know im being overly paranoid right? but i changed my original post so its not really identifiable..or anything like that.

It is organic chemistry, and that subject just SUCKS! It took me 2 or 3 times to get through it. What does organic chem have to do with B-School anyway?

... That's exactly what I was thinking. I never had to take it, shows how times have changed.

InRecovery, this totally does suck and I'm really sorry you did all that work for an open book take home exam. But if you think about the life applications of this... (there was a Paul Krugman (or was it David Brooks?) OpEd piece in the NY times this week about it, actually) what you are learning is a really important life lesson. Having personal integrity may feel lonely and pathetic when you're the only one swimming upstream, but it usually wins in the long run. In the end, regardless of the grades on the test, or the signature on the deal, or the $$ in the trade, you still have to wake up and look at yourself in the mirror every day. And you've done enough lying and cheating through your adderall abuse to know that honesty feels far, far more rewarding than a quick win or screwing someone else over.

Not to get all preachy, but remember at the beginning of the week one of the biggest lessons I'd learned through all of my own stuff is that there are no shortcuts? Life is going to teach us lessons and we can either be strong and forthright, and be a better leader because of it; or we can be weak and maybe/maybe not successful in the short term.

You should feel really good that you continue to make the RIGHT choices, whether or not they are the easy ones. It's inspirational. And you know what? When you get to the ethics class, and the questions in the interviews about examples of demonstrating integrity, you'll have a dearth of great examples to give where you've seen dishonesty and corruption around you but you have remained strong. YOU GO, YOU TOWER OF STRENGTH, YOU!

• Like 4

It is my belief that cheating at the college level prepares them to be professional corporate cheaters, like the ones who almost crashed our economy and led us into this Great Recession.

Cheating takes on many forms. I think that people who use adderall to get them through med school, law school, grad school or even high school are surely cheating just like the atheletes who use steroids or other doping techniques, to help them "win".

• Like 4

... and you know what's funny? All the research on adderall says that actually, the difference in actual performance on amphetamines over time with people who remain on it is only marginally different, if at all, than people not on the drug. Adderall makes us think we're better with it, makes us feel like we're performing at a higher level, but it's all in our heads. In actual fact, if we just focused and got some more balance in our lives we'd likely do just as well.

• Like 1