QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Interesting and slightly depressing article

Kyle_Chaos

I know that both add and meth are amphetamines but I think the commonality ends there, they just are not comparable as far as damage caused goes. Based on my lay-person readings, there is probably no permenant damage from taking add as prescribed whereas there definitely is with meth. I think meth can burn out dopamine receptors completely, which would probably account for the lack ability to expereince joy. I agree that they work the same way, just like fundamentally alcohal and heroin do (could be wrong about that), but as with that comparison it's kind of a stretch.

• Like 1

I know that both add and meth are amphetamines but I think the commonality ends there, they just are not comparable as far as damage caused goes. Based on my lay-person readings, there is probably no permenant damage from taking add as prescribed whereas there definitely is with meth. I think meth can burn out dopamine receptors completely, which would probably account for the lack ability to expereince joy. I agree that they work the same way, just like fundamentally alcohal and heroin do (could be wrong about that), but as with that comparison it's kind of a stretch.

I know it's different, but it's hopeful to see that if someone can completely recover (the second article) then we all have hope.

• Like 1

Interesting! I have to say there are overlaps in why meth users got addicted. These people could find anything entertaining and would get hooked on having fun doing "chores" and not being able to settle down to sleep. One even said something about really enjoying tweezing their eyebrows while tweaking. i found that enjoyable too, and now I don't like doing it....reminds me of adderall. Weird, I know: While meth is on another level for sure, it's scary how similar in some ways....especially if abusing adderall like I was. So glad I never tried that stuff!

• Like 2

It's crazy though, krax, if you dont take it as prescribed, I don't know if you have been in Ritalin induced psychosis but I spent a lot of my time on these prescription amphetAmines in psychosis and the symptoms are spot on with meth addicts. I get the same specific "common delusions" as meth addicts and everything. I read on some meth boards about them talking about differences between meth and lots of adderall and they were all like the main difference is that on meth you stay up for 5 days straight whereas on adderall you can only stay up for 2 days straight before you pass out. Well. That is true for me, I would always pass out after 2 days awake.( I refuse though to believe I have burned out my dopamine receptors for good!)

• Like 2

I totally agree they sound very similar (except for in degree) in how they work - maybe identical - I am just differentiating regarding the physical damage they cause. Lets not forget either that the base substance of meth can be things like lighter fluid and car batteries.

It sounds like another huge difference is that meth can rupture parts of the brain that make people feel natural happiness, and that can be irreparable damage, where joy can no longer be felt like before the abuse. Thank goodness adderall doesn't do that!

Ugh. Yes I always hear that about meth addicts never being able to experience pleasure again.

My husband did Meth on and off for years before we got together. He never got addicted and could put it down at any point. When he found out about my Adderall abuse and addiction, he actually became very upset with me. I then of course told him that he was a hypocrite and that I have ADHD and was perscribed the Adderall. He now realizes that just because he never became an "addict" doesn't mean that my addiction to Adderall was worse then his meth use.

• 3 weeks later...

It's crazy though, krax, if you dont take it as prescribed, I don't know if you have been in Ritalin induced psychosis but I spent a lot of my time on these prescription amphetAmines in psychosis and the symptoms are spot on with meth addicts. I get the same specific "common delusions" as meth addicts and everything. I read on some meth boards about them talking about differences between meth and lots of adderall and they were all like the main difference is that on meth you stay up for 5 days straight whereas on adderall you can only stay up for 2 days straight before you pass out. Well. That is true for me, I would always pass out after 2 days awake.( I refuse though to believe I have burned out my dopamine receptors for good!)

I don't see how that it has been said that it is physically impossible to stay up on adderall for longer than 2 days....I've stayed up for 7-8 days straight on binges. Has anyone else had this experience as well?

I don't see how that it has been said that it is physically impossible to stay up on adderall for longer than 2 days....I've stayed up for 7-8 days straight on binges. Has anyone else had this experience as well?

Nope, the max I have been awake is three nights. I remember feeling EXTREMELY strange and bland and retarded. Oddly enough, I remember everything smelling strange, too.

I've stayed awake 3 nights in a row on massive amounts of ritalin, a few times but never more than 3 nights... if I was younger though who knows ? Not something I'm proud of but somethimes I do feel like a recovering meth addict. I definitely looked like one.

• 11 months later...

Scares me that im the only one who has stayed uo for a week straight. It really takes a toll on ur body. Up for 3 days was the norm for me.

InRecovery do u have any addicting netflix series u could share?

3 days straight was pretty much the norm for me too. :( And Netflix was definitely part of my regimen for quitting.

For series..Here are some good shows on Netflix

Breaking Bad.. i thought it started out slow, but became excellent.

Walking Dead

The Following - the one with Kevin Bacon. This is my favorite show of the moment.

House of Cards was Great. So was Orange is the New Black.

I hear Dexter is also great and also Scandal.

• Like 2

Ive seen all of those except following...ill have to check it out.

I feel like ive done nothing but smoked weed and have seen every netflix series :\

Yet i dont feel like getting off the couch!!!

Idk i just dont feel completely ready, im sure all the weight gain has taken a toll on my body.

Is this normal for anyone else?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...