QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How I got over my first love, Adderall

Wow, your post was so well-written, and I could relate to pretty much all of it. Especially studying for finals when a friend said "take this, it'll help." I thought I had fallen in love too. It was a long road to learning that this was the most sick and twisted relationship I could ever have, and it was with a pill. I'm glad you came here and posted. How long have you been adderall-free? Welcome!

• Like 1

Never fully recovering, I relapsed. But this time, the Adderall made me feel like shit the entire time.

That is interesting, after 10 weeks clean I slipped and took ritalin again, and felt like total crap too. It's like I lost the taste for it. I had a similar experience with marijuana when I was younger, when I went from daily use for about 1 year, then cold turkey for 8 months, then when I tried it again I felt only the negative effects of it. I'm grateful that that was the case, as I am with ritalin.

• Like 1

Wow, your post was so well-written, and I could relate to pretty much all of it. Especially studying for finals when a friend said "take this, it'll help." I thought I had fallen in love too. It was a long road to learning that this was the most sick and twisted relationship I could ever have, and it was with a pill. I'm glad you came here and posted. How long have you been adderall-free? Welcome!

Thank you! I completely agree! I had 4+ months clean when I relapsed. And now I have been free for about 5 weeks.

What about you?

Great story. How long were u taking adderall for? How exactly did u go about quitting? Cold turkey? Taper? Did u use any supplements or other meds to help?

I was taking Adderall at "normal" amounts for about 6 months, and the last six I spent tweaked out of my mind taking about 4x reccommended amount. So a year overall but it feels like longer. I quit cold turkey. I drank Yerba Mate tea that was supposed to be "Energy tea" and started taking HTC vitamins as well as a multivitamin. I was completely pill-free but my doctor suggested anti depressents. I opted against it because I knew I needed to feel the pain. I smoked a lot of marijuana to cope with the cravings and get my mind off of it, but honestly I don't think that any of that really helped. I just replaced substance with substance. What really helped was forcing myself to get out and do things that I used to love. One of those things being going to concerts/shows. While I still didn't feel completely like myself, it was a nice feeiling to get a little natural high hearing live music. Also I took up a new activity, hiking, and fell completely in love. I truly think the time outdoors is what got me to the point where I feel mentally "well".

• Like 4

I don't really have any Adderall triggers these days, but the other day I was in my bathroom and I smelled pot from the apartment below. Waves of emotions flooded over me as my previous life many many years ago flashed in and out. The good news was that it only lasted a minute or so as I left and got distracted by something else. ADD is good at times like this, lol!! ;)

• Like 1

There are also certain things that I cannot do anymore, and certain things that trigger me. These are smells, tastes, sounds, and feelings. Has anyone else experienced this? I smell a certain perfume and I think "I used to wear this when I was taking Adderall."

I've had this experience too! The feelings part is hard especially because some of them are unavoidable (places like work where I used to take adderall, but am now sober.) There are places where I can't be, perfumes I no longer wear, people I no longer associate with, things I no longer consume (green tea, sadly, but also that foul diet soda and candy habit I used to have). Being around people who are obviously peaking out on it makes me want to ask them for some, and I can't do that! I can also no longer run to the beer store at 2 am (and why would I even want to?? lol)

I can also no longer approach my life and work in the same way because it brings up those feelings. If I try to accomplish anything with an adderall mentality, it's a trigger. I have to just be my crazy ADD self about everything, and I'm finding tricks to manage it. But, life is so much fuller and more fun this way anyway! :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...