QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Running Club

Greg

Occasional,

Good job! I'm glad you carved out some time for yourself to work out with your crazy schedule!

I went to gym tonight to fit in 2 more miles to make it to 12....got 12.5 in total :) Next week it's 12 miles only counting running...kind of excited for this 5K!

• Like 1

Starting out the week right!  Five mile trail run on a gorgeous day.  45 push ups.  Also spent 1/2 hour on my core yesterday (planks, sit ups, etc.)  

It was one of those runs where its just flowing and you feel so amazing and alive and STRONG.   I remembered again that I would NEVER EVER trade in my runner's high, not even for a lifetime supply of adderall.

• Like 2

Thanks, LilTex. That's awesome! What part of Ohio? I'd love to do a race or something with you. I don't think I could could keep up with the Ironman lady, but I'd do my best. Seriously, let me know when you'll be in Ohio. Good for you being closer to family!

Team- I only ran 6 miles this week :( Next week is a new week! How did you all do?

Good job Ashley, 6 miles is not bad at all!!!!!

All my running this past week was trail running.  On the trail I never run the steep uphills (achilles tendon risk!) and I also have to walk here and there, like where it gets rocky.  It's slower and more fun, and REALLY hard.    So anyways, I'm estimating a total of:

9 miles trail running

3 miles hardcore hiking - some mountains involved :)

3-4 hours total hooping and dancing

65 push ups

1/2 hr of sit ups, planks, etc

One arm wrestling contest WON!!!!   (A month ago I could not beat my friend at arm wrestling.  We had a re-match last night and it was a challenge but I totally won..... :D)

• Like 1

You all are doing fantastic!

Ashley, I'll be in Columbus, but again I'm waiting on the phone call.  The waiting is slowly driving me insane!   I will run with you..that would be so cool!!

In Recovery,  holy crap!  You did two long runs back to back?  How many weeks have you been training like that?  I'm worried you're going to injure yourself!  Are you following the ten percent rule I hope? :)

• Like 1

Hey everyone! You're all doing fantastic! Happy to read all your updates and see the club is going strong.

It's been a while since my last check in. I got married and then went on a honeymoon out of the country. Needless to say, I didn't have much time to get runs in this past month. But here's my update: I just signed up for a half marathon next May! Super excited. For the past several months the wedding was my main motivation for running, and it would have been easy to just quit now that it's over. So I'm proud of myself for setting this new goal. Plus, best part - it's something I'd NEVER consider doing if I were still on adderall.

So, training starts... tomorrow I guess?

• Like 1

Congratulations Cat on getting married!!!!

Li'l Tex, Ive been doing the 13.1 thing for a couple weeks now. i really like it. My knees were terrible with my old running shoes but ever since i got my new running shoes, my knees have gotten much better and i feel like i can run so much more. Maybe thats one of the reasons i stepped up to 13.1. 

I like it that I'm building this 13.1 thing into a habit. But of course I am not running it fast or anything or id pass out. I am really just taking my time doing it, and if i need to stop for a couple minutes ill do that. Sometimes ill alternate and do a faster mile then a slower mile or sometimes i run the whole thing slow. So its really not too intense at all!

I just looked up the 10% rule and for sure, I gradually worked up to this 13.1 thing. When i first started i could only do 1 mile! then slowly incrementally stepped up. 

• Like 1

12 will be a no go for me this week. Im getting buried in work right now.

And I think Ashley can relate but I have to participate in a debate on Monday and my nerves are going through the roof.

I have to debate the SEQUESTER, and the DEBT CEILING in congress and i did not pay attention to the news during those two things, well one of them is happening now. the stupid debt ceiling.

so now my nerves are really through roof. And the guy I am debating against is like ultra competitive, has a lot of experience debating, and his passion is watching Fox News. So i feel screwed. :(  :(  :(  :(

My stomach is getting queasy as i type this.

InRecovery,

How about tackling this debate in a different perspective. 

What are your strengths in debating?  Tell us!  Make a list and let's focus on those areas as you walk into the debate.  Capitalize on what you are good at and visualize yourself exactly as you want to see yourself in this debate. Lay on the floor if you have to and visualize yourself kicking some butt!

Also, there is no such thing as failure unless you don't try. Let's look at this as an opportunity that even if this guy is "more experienced" or "ultra competitive", try to focus on the fact that this debate will actually help you grow and see what you can learn from him.  You are going to walk away acquiring more skills, knowledge, and be a better debater in the end. 

You CAN handle this!  You GOT this!  Remember it doesn't have to be perfect.  You will be a victor for showing up and taking on someone who you see as stronger.  Think of it like going to the gym and maxing out on the bench press.  Just think how strong you'll be when it's over! 

You CAN DO IT!

• Like 2

Ok, one more thing..now it's my turn to vent my anxiety, LOL.

I am signed up for a Half Ironman in 2 weeks.  I have done bare minimal training.  I signed up for this thing in the spring thinking the guy I was sort of seeing at the time would be doing it with me.  Well, yeah, I didn't even like him that much anyhow and I'm glad it's over, but now I'm stuck doing this thing all by myself.

It is now 2 weeks before the race and I only know a handful of people even doing it.  My mom is not coming as she's going to fly out soon once I find out about the job and help me move...and I really don't have anyone here I feel comfortable asking to come support me.  I could ask a few people, but I haven' talked to them in awhile and I feel like it would be asking too much.

So anyhow, I am feeling very alone in this endeavor and thought maybe I could share it with all of you for support.  PRAY FOR ME PLEASE!

Ok, now off for my 12 mile run.  :) 

I've had more weeks than I should in "reset" mode. I was so good for awhile, but I've been slacking a little....maybe more than a little. Ok, Ashley, time to get your shit together....and GO!

So this week it's happening. If I recommit to it here, I'll do it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, LilTex :)

InRecovery I am dying to hear how it went!!!

Seriously, if this guy's passion is watching Fox News, then his information and perspective are going to be really limited.  So if you can draw on multiple news sources, you'll be at an advantage.  I think you will do great!!   

I mean, our government is full of "PROFESSIONAL" and highly paid politicians who can't even stay on topic for thirty seconds.  So as long as you don't debate like those clowns, you're golden :D

Okay friends so here's my update.....  I ran 8 miles on Sunday to get my 12 in for last week. Ha!  It was a huge loop on some old country roads.  And it was literally UPHILL BOTH WAYS.   But really beautiful!!  It was getting dark when I was still a couple miles out, in the middle of nowhere, which was super scary so I started sprinting.  I had so much adrenaline going, sprinting wasn't even hard at that point; it felt effortless.

Note to self:  recovering from a run like that with a couple of IPA's is not a good idea!!!  Oops!  :D

Last week:

12.5 miles of running

Probably about 8 miles of bike commuting

65 push ups

TODAY:

6.2 miles of running, also on some dirt roads in the woods.  I really couldn't believe I went that far, the miles just flew right by.  

Conclusion: In the past few days I've discovered 2 beautiful new outdoor running routes nearby.  So inspirational and theraputic, I might need to start upping my mileage.  :D

ALSO:   I didn't even mean to, but thanks to running and healthy food I have lost somewhere between 10 and 15 pounds since I quit adderall.   

• Like 1

We were obliterated. the vote was 14 for them 1 for us. But I had to press it out of people how the vote turned out because no one wanted to tell us. They just said we lost. I was really depressed for a while. He did really really really good. Hewas so competitive about this thing that he's said now the debate is over we can be friends again. I felt so low on myself but tomorrow I hope I am over it. My teammate was well..,not the strongest teammate. And we were up against a really strong team. So ...sigh...yeah. I was proud that I could converse in politics even though I do not pay attention to congress stuff. I don't know why I felt SO down. I want to make it personal goal to get better at presentations and stuff. Also I'm glad this thing is over.

Overall though, grades in general are good. I have been so slammed with work that I have been craving adderall every day. I hate it that after all this time my mind craves adderall STILL.

Sorry to hear it IR!   At least you know that you did better than you would have if you were still tweaking!

I would be really down for a few days too if that happened to me.  It's so hard.  Every time I've "lost" at something, or dealt with harsh criticism, etc. since quitting, it's been really hard to take.  Harder than before I started taking adderall; I used to just brush it off.    It might be a PAWS-related thing.  We work sooo hard throughout recovery to rebuild our self confidence, and then the world finds some way to jab away at it.   Plus quitting adderall seems to make people extra sensitive.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear you're thinking about the positives, and what you did well.    I don't even think you even failed. I think you were successful in your own right EVEN IF the vote didn't go in your team's favor.  You still put yourself out there and WENT FOR IT.  You're in grad school while quitting adderall and nobody can understand how hard that is, so the fact that you're even doing all of this at all is AMAZING.   YOU ARE ONE OF MY HEROES, GREG!!!

“Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.â€
George Edward Woodberry

“You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don’t try to forget the mistakes, but you don’t dwell on it. You don’t let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.â€
Johnny Cash

• Like 1

thanks Occasional! I was SO down, that i actually woke up in the middle of the night and started thinking about it for like an hour. And i concluded that it was just not a fair matchup of teams. I totally knew that going in we were going to lose and after we lost I forgot that. LOL.

Anyway, I think i am sort of over it today. It was such a small percentage of my grade. And now i have gotten my debate over with i dont have to worry about it anymore. our class will be doing these every week for the next couple weeks and i can just sit back relax and watch the debates.

I hope by the end of the day i will have brushed it all off completely. LOL.

your message made me feel better. :D

Well-said, occasional. InRecovery,

I was so stressed about a 5-7 minute speech and here you are debating politics! It's easy to look from the outside and say I don't view this as failure at all! I don't think anyone on this site would, but I can understand you feeling down about it. Apparently debating is this guy's forte....and he loves it. You don't love it, in fact, you kind of hate it and it's NOT your passion like this guy. You still got up there knowing all of that. Way to go! Your interests are elsewhere.

Sorry you're craving adderall. Cravings are sooo frustrating....like what the fuck, why can't our brains just forget?! You've got this, man. You're paving the way for myself and fellow quitters!

• Like 1