QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Running Club

Greg

BTW, I had another really-wanna-relapse moment this morning.   I was crying and everything about how stressed out I am and how far behind in my work and much easier it would be to have no emotions and no libido, and blah blah blah.  

@Blesbro, I was inspired by you to take some "after" pics.   Then I went through and found a "before" pic.  The "before" is when I was at the peak of my adderall addiction.    It's pretty motivating.    In the "before" shot I'm out of shape and HEAVY.  Wow I had no idea how heavy I was, even though I had to buy new pants.  I didn't even recognize that adderall --> lowered metabolism, sedentary life & beer combination was the culprit!   It was probably peak weight of my life.  So weird.   The "after" photos from this morning are like night and day.  Maybe I'll get the courage to post them. 

Taking those pics and comparing made me feel so much better about quitting, and re-invigorated about staying quit.  I'm almost at one year!!!!   

Thanks for sharing that occasional! I think for a lot of us, adderall stripped us of our self-control and thus once we quit we actually started to gain some willpower and the ability to change our bodies to the way we actually want them to be. It doesn't happen overnight but in the long run, staying off adderall is so good for not only our minds but our bodies as well! Go ahead and post them if you feel up to it! It doesn't matter where you're at, all that matters is where you're going. I'm starting to train some friends for free because I'm thinking about getting certified as a personal trainer and that's what I tell them. Everybody has to start somewhere. I've been lifting for 5 years, along with sports, etc. so I'm in pretty good shape but the bottom line is that was after 5 years of hard work. Nothing worth having happens overnight.

Congrats on getting close to one year! I'm only 9 days away from my 12 month anniversary as well! Very exciting. Stick with it everyone. My greatest piece of advice to anyone who wants to transform their body is this: consistency is key. Even if you don't feel like working out one day, just go workout for at least 2 minutes, that's it. Even if you just go to the gym, walk in the door, then go back home without even working out, I'd still commend you for that. As long as you're consistent, you'll increase intensity over time as you feel up to it and eventually you'll look back and be amazed by the progress you've made. It takes 21 straight days (supposedly) to form a habit so no need to kill yourself every day just get out there and do something! I'm trying to apply that concept to other areas of my life like school as well. Like yesterday, I went to the library and read like 10-15 pages in my book then went on the internet and did nothing else school related. Basically I got next to nothing done but I felt like shit yesterday so I'm cutting myself some slack. At least I did something.

• Like 2

InRecovery,

Yes!!!! I'm D-O-N-E!!!! It doesn't even seem real that I have my undergraduate degree that I had put off for so many years! While it might not be considered a big accomplishment to some, this degree something much bigger to me. I'm finally moving forward with my life post-adderall. I know in my heart that I wouldn't have gotten back on track had it not been for my quit. While more challenges lie ahead of me (job searching, working a 9-5, etc.), I thank God to be here!

How did your finals go?!

• Like 3

That is so AWESOME!! Congratulations. What a huge milestone and accomplishment. You got your degree!!! woohoo!  I know how much you wanted it, how hard you worked for this and how tough it was for you to get here. I am so very PROUD Of you. EXCELLENT JOB!!!  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

That is so AWESOME!! Congratulations. What a huge milestone and accomplishment. You got your degree!!! woohoo!  I know how much you wanted it, how hard you worked for this and how tough it was for you to get here. I am so very PROUD Of you. EXCELLENT JOB!!!  :D  :D  :D

Yes,........what he said!  Way to Go Ashley!

• Like 1

I just got in another 8 miles. And I am at 16 for the week but I HAVE to run much much more than 16 this week.

I am home for break and for some reason I have been SERIOUSLY craving foods that Im not getting enough at school. 

1) Ice cream!!

2) Cheese - (not slices of cheese but real cheese)

3) pizza! not dining hall pizza.

Binge eating when quitting adderall is different from binge eating when you have been off adderall for a while. After quitting adderall, I remember i was just starving all the time. My recent binge eating has just been not caring about eating better because i want to indulge.

Ice cream - Alright in the past WEEK (one week), I have gone to Cold Stone Creamery, Haagan Daas, and then I had three scoops of ice cream at The Trump Tower Ice Cream Parlor in NYC.  THEN I ate TWO of these. One I finished in less than 1 day

Cheese - OK, then i got a triple cream wedge brie and ate the whole thing in a day and finished the entire box of crackers.And I have almost finished a block of cracker barrel vermont sharp cheddar and almost finished another box of crackers. Then I finished a package of sliced swiss cheese I found in the fridge and polished off the crackers.

Pizza - I ate entire 1 and 3 quarters thin crust pizzas from dominoes.

Misc - And then food on top of my cravings....  :blink:  :blink: I ate an ENTIRE box of Lindt chocolates my brother in law brought back from Switzerland, and also a giant size godiva chocolate bar I got at the movie theater.

I have also eaten out three times since I have gotten home.

I will try and run more tomorrow. Im going to shoot for at least 24 miles by Sunday :unsure:  :unsure: But i think i need to run more than that! haha

do you feel any guilt for all those bad food choices?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea how deprived of ice cream I would feel... must. put. stop. to. this. :huh:

Edit _ I forgot to mention an entire bag of milkways...an XL ghiradelli white chocolate bar and going out to eat three times. Writing this all out is making me feel super excited to get to the gym today!!

(gasp...breath) OK, I only had an hour to run in the gym (it closed at 7pm)  so I like SPRINTED 4 miles. I realized I can run faster now than ever before!! It took about a year to get to this point, lol!

writing down all that crap I ate has been surprisingly motivating at the gym when im tired but begin to think about it.

OK, im off to See Gravity in 3D..

• Like 1

InRecovery,

Yes!!!! I'm D-O-N-E!!!! It doesn't even seem real that I have my undergraduate degree that I had put off for so many years! While it might not be considered a big accomplishment to some, this degree something much bigger to me. I'm finally moving forward with my life post-adderall. I know in my heart that I wouldn't have gotten back on track had it not been for my quit. While more challenges lie ahead of me (job searching, working a 9-5, etc.), I thank God to be here!

How did your finals go?!

Congratulations Ashley!!!  It is a HUGE accomplishment, especially after quitting adderall!!!   I'm so proud of you for having the courage and willpower to back there and facing the place that was such a source of dread and adderall-filled memories.  You are so amazing!!   I hope you have time to really celebrate and enjoy this moment in your life   :D

• Like 1

Hi friends!  OK here's my late check in!

Last week: I DID get my 12 in.  I also did some rowing and push ups and planks and stuff at the gym.  Hooray!  

This week:  I'm only at 4 miles.  I just did them, so if I can crank out 8 more tomorrow I'll be there.  It's a stretch, especially with finals still weighing on me.........

Today:  Motivated by my friend who used to be in the US Army, I decided to see if I'm fit enough to pass the army physical fitness test.  FAIL!     

I passed on the push ups and the 2 mile run. I did 31 push ups in 2 minutes and the minimum for my age/sex is 17. I ran 2 miles outdoors in 17 minutes and the minimum is 20:30. So I was pretty happy with those results. I only failed on the sit-ups. Probably because I've always hated them and never do them; they hurt my back. I need to be able to do 45 sit-ups in 2 minutes and I only got 31.  Something to work on!

If anyone is interested, here's the link to the army standards:  

http://usarmybasic.com/army-physical-fitness/apft-standards#.UrY0mmRDtgK

• Like 1

Wow, Occasional - you got SUPER FIT. all u would need to do is work on the situps and you are fit to join the army! that is awesome!!!  :D  :D You got those 8 miles tomorrow!!

edit - im kind of confused with the chart.. are their two minimums? u mentioned 17.1 and 20:30. and what's the maximum mean? 

edit 2- wait i think i get it now.

...It goes with a point system. So for me to get the minimum amout of points Id have to run at least a mile at 8 minutes and 30 seconds per mile for 2 miles

...to get the minimum number of points. Id have to run at 6 minutes and 39 seconds per mile.

I can do the minimum. Maybe a goal for me should be to get to the maximum. 

• Like 1

Yea it's a point system and YES there is an app for it!  Haha  Called AFPT.   You enter your age height weight etc, it also does body fat % calculations, and it tells you automatically what your range would be, and how many points you got for each category.  It def makes it easier. 

I don't really understand why there's a maximum either.  Maybe it's like the equivalent of getting a 100% for a grade, and anything above that is extra credit?    So this means that the top score would be 300 points because each is worth 100.

I like your goal!  Wow IR that would be crazy fit if you could get a 6:30 mile!   You're super fit already though so I bet you could do it!!!    My goal is to get the sit ups for sure, and maybe even increase my points in each category by certain amounts over time.    

Also, I'm finding that setting the timer for 2 minutes has an extremely motivating effect, way more than just counting push ups without timing them.  And then it only takes a short time: Okay, it's just for two minutes.  You know, the classic timer technique.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words, occasional!

Lots of good stuff on this thread since I checked last! InRecovery, your list of foods you've eaten kind of made me hungry...ha. Occasional, that's pretty impressive. I'm confident you'll get the sit-ups part...I'm guessing in like a week, because that's how you roll! I'm at 7 miles for the week. I've noticed since I slacked for awhile, it's definitely made a difference in my stamina. It feels so good to run, but my brain wants it more than my body....ha. I've been sore the last two times I ran for the first time in so long....obviously got out of shape!

Ashley watch out for the shoes...

bad shoes == soreness

Learned the lesson the hard way when i could barely walk for weeks.

By the way I forgot to add additional food to my list of foods consumed this past WEEK...an entire movie theater bag of popcorn (by MYSELF and all the way to the kernels at the bottom of the bag) hee hee.

I might aim for 24 miles next week to run off all this junk i have consumed

Thanks for your kind words, occasional!

Lots of good stuff on this thread since I checked last! InRecovery, your list of foods you've eaten kind of made me hungry...ha. Occasional, that's pretty impressive. I'm confident you'll get the sit-ups part...I'm guessing in like a week, because that's how you roll! I'm at 7 miles for the week. I've noticed since I slacked for awhile, it's definitely made a difference in my stamina. It feels so good to run, but my brain wants it more than my body....ha. I've been sore the last two times I ran for the first time in so long....obviously got out of shape!

Ashley you can't possibly be that out of shape.  You've still been checking in!  And remember that running is really mostly mental!!

p.s. thanks for the vote of confidence!!  I hope I can do that in like a week, or maybe two. we'll see :)

hahaha I agree with Occasional. Ashley you cannot possibly be out of shape!!! not possible.

occasional - are you considering entering the army? or just want to see if you can pass the fitness test?

asking because I have a friend who wants to finish grad school and then go into the air force (which is definitely an unusualy path, but people do want to do it)

PS: Ashley, you are NOT out of shape!

Thanks, you guys! I guess you're right, but I still haven't kicked my smoking habit, and I'm so not proud of that because it makes it feel worthless to even try to get "healthy," but until I do the mental benefits of running have paid off for me. Ugh, it's hard to talk about smoking and running in the same post. I think it's time for new shoes ASAP. And maybe my mentality is I'm out of shape. Running is SO mental....good points. I reallllly hope I can make it to the gym after work tonight to get in more miles. 7 is more than I've done in awhile, and I'd like to keep it up! Thanks for the input, you two!

if you can quit adderall which is like 50,000 trillion times harder - you CAN QUIT SMOKING.

There is group outside my building and they ALL smoke and play cards and chat. And I just sit there and enjoy their company but I have no desire to smoke anymore. Just like adderall, the desire goes away with time.

I know its easier said than done.  But all I can say, is that after years of trying to quit, the desire for cigarettes just vanishes eventually.   

• Like 1