QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Running Club

Greg

OK! This week I am officially joining the club!

Been averaging around 7-10 miles of hiking this summer but haven't been running. It's time!

This past week I've run ~4 miles, lifted some weights, did some planks and push ups, and 20 minutes of hard swimming yesterday. Not sure of the distance.

I'm also back on the alcohol-free train, which feels pretty great and is giving me tons of energy to work out.

This week I WILL get those 12 miles!!

• Like 1

We are very pleased to have you occastional1 :)

For all newbies, I recommend trying to get miles in early in the week so you are not cramming in miles at the very end of the week. In the beginning, i could not run as long distances so i paced myself throughout the week - 3 a day, 4x a week. Some other things I did..

a good pair of running shoes

an armband for my phone to listen to radio

headphones

A filled waterbottle

Suntan lotion

Puma running socks - this stopped me from getting blisters

I bring a duffelbag with me and an extra tee shirt

a Preworkout drink right before i go (I know, some people might not condone that)

An app like nikeplus to keep track of mileage

Also i listen to Sirius radio which has CNN, ESPN, Howard Stern and lots of talk radio shows and i get totally absorbed into the conversations so that Im not even paying attention to the fact that im running.

Im off to an early start this week. 6 yesterday and 5 today. Would have gotten to 6 today, but it started to thunderstorm and downpour so my last mile got cut off. And i got sopping drenched.

After getting accustomed to running on treadmill, running outside in the heat felt impossible at first. I had to run a mile, then walk a little, then run more. Ive been running outside the past couple days and slowly my endurance is coming back, but have had to mix in a lot of walking with the running. I only count the miles i run though toward the goal. I think its good to mix up running on treadmill and running outside.

• Like 1

We are very pleased to have you occastional1 :)

For all newbies, I recommend trying to get miles in early in the week so you are not cramming in miles at the very end of the week. In the beginning, i could not run as long distances so i paced myself throughout the week - 3 a day, 4x a week. Some other things I did..

a good pair of running shoes

an armband for my phone to listen to radio

headphones

A filled waterbottle

Suntan lotion

Puma running socks - this stopped me from getting blisters

I bring a duffelbag with me and an extra tee shirt

a Preworkout drink right before i go (I know, some people might not condone that)

An app like nikeplus to keep track of mileage

Also i listen to Sirius radio which has CNN, ESPN, Howard Stern and lots of talk radio shows and i get totally absorbed into the conversations so that Im not even paying attention to the fact that im running.

Im off to an early start this week. 6 yesterday and 5 today. Would have gotten to 6 today, but it started to thunderstorm and downpour so my last mile got cut off. And i got sopping drenched.

After getting accustomed to running on treadmill, running outside in the heat felt impossible at first. I had to run a mile, then walk a little, then run more. Ive been running outside the past couple days and slowly my endurance is coming back, but have had to mix in a lot of walking with the running. I only count the miles i run though toward the goal. I think its good to mix up running on treadmill and running outside.

Great advice. Definitely agree that running outside is a whole different ball game. I hate it. I listen to music when I run, and I've noticed particular songs really get me going, so I like to have a good playlist on hand.

• Like 1

Just did 4.13 miles. Night running outside, mostly on the grass next to the sidewalks. YEAH!

I like trail running the best. Maybe that will be for tomorrow or Wed.

Good job occasional1!!!! Our week begins on Saturday and ends on Friday.

Good job IR and Ashley!!! I'm excited to be joining this and it will definitely hold me accountable for sure since it's already going to be a stretch to get those miles in!

Any interest in a push-up club? Like 50 or 100 push ups a week? I'll probably add that to my 12 miles of running for core, back and upper body. Time to get back on it.

Let's get this!!!

I feel the same way Ashley, I need to do way more with my core. Let's do it all! What kind of abs stuff do you like? I'm into planks (side planks and regular), and push ups, and also hula hooping, and occasionally crunches on the balance ball, which I should do a lot more often. Maybe we could get a core/ab goal per week going!

Just did 25 push ups on my push up bars. I'm officially setting a personal goal of 100 per week.

We keep this up and we will be soooo fit by the end of the summer!

Occasional,

Ok sounds good. I'm kind of a fitness idiot. I don't really know specific exercises and what's best for what areas. I can do push ups, though :) I have friends who know a lot about what the best workouts are, so I will consult with them :) What kind of goals are you thinking? I'm kind of pumped to get in shape!

I'm open minded! It depends on the exercises. I like the weekly measurable goal idea, so for something like crunches or push ups we can measure it by #. For other exercises it might be better measured by time spent.

Let me know what your friends say! :)

I'm thinking:

12+ miles of running

50-100 push ups

100-200 crunches (could also include obliques, etc) and/or

3-5 minutes total of planks

2 hours of something else (like swimming, weights, hiking, biking, cleaning, or whatever we want.)

Overly ambitious?

OK! Just did my same 4.13 mile outdoor route which brings me to about 8.25 miles this week. Getting there!

There is NO WAY I would have done this tonight if it wasn't for joining the 12 miles a week club!!!

Occasional1 u are really doing this! I was a bit skeptical at first . Kudos to you. 8.25!!!

I knocked out 25 this week, lol. I'm totally up for doing workout stuff..what are planks? I might want to do a weight lifting routine to coincide with what you guys are doing, but also with the sit-ups. Anyway, I'm definitely up for doing more than just the running.

• Like 1

There is NO WAY I would have done this tonight if it wasn't for joining the 12 miles a week club!!!

I hear you. I would not have done a ton of running if not for Ashley asking for updates and this club. I wish I had a running trail nearby, that sounds like a lot of fun. Keep it up!! Did you all get to 12???

I know Ashley was at 6 and you are at 8 and its Friday...

25 miles!! IR that's so badass!

I can't wait to get back to that point. I used to do triathalons and climb mountains and stuff before adderall took over my life and I want to get that fitness level back.

Anyways, I was a little worried about getting to 12 miles by Friday because I was originally off on the weekly start/end days. BUT today I woke up at 5 am with a bunch of anxiety and took it all out on running those last 4 miles!! It's official, that's 12.3 miles!

Also did about an hour of swimming in a lake yesterday (probably like a mile?), paddleboarding for a half hour (SOO fun and a great full body workout), and also hula hooped for a half hr or so. Today I still plan to get those other 25 push ups so I can reach 50 for the week.

FEELING GREAT! :D

what are planks? I might want to do a weight lifting routine to coincide with what you guys are doing, but also with the sit-ups. Anyway, I'm definitely up for doing more than just the running.

I learned how to do planks in physical therapy years ago and it changed my life! It's harder than it looks and kind of torturous, but it WORKS.

You can do sets of 10 seconds each, or you can hold for a minute or two, or whatever. I recommend working your way up.

Side planks:

I wish I had a running trail nearby, that sounds like a lot of fun.

I've been just running around the neighborhoods near my house so no driving involved. The trails are like 10 minutes away so it's kind of special to go there, but so worth it. I bet you have some trails nearby, like in a park somewhere...? Nothing motivates me to keep going like the beauty of being out in nature.