QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Running Club

Greg

Good job you two!! I I did 5.5 total today. I think I ran 4-4.5 of it. So I'm about 9.5 or 10. I can't imagine running out in this heat! I've been fighting some hard core depression the past couple weeks, and the gym is the last thing I want to do, but it's the best place for me to be! I'm glad we have our club to motivate me.

Great job Ashley and Greg!!  Well my # from last week remained at 7 miles.    I won't blame the heat or anything else (even though it's been weighing me down), I'm just going to focus on moving forward this week.  Hiked 2 miles yesterday (all stairs the first mile), and planning a night run tonight.  And a gym membership this week!    Our club is still motivating me!!

• Like 1

You guys are amazing. Occasional, what a motivational superstar you are!

MFA so good to hear an update from u.mi quickly scanned because I was really worried u relapsed and breathesd a sigh of relief when I saw you hadn't. I'm sorry it's been tough and yes, I agree with what u said somewhere else that a lot of it had to do with PAWS which comes with no rhyme or reason sometimes.

Ashley, I'm also sorry to hear u are having a rough couple weeks. And I'm sure PAWS is not helping on that front either. :(

I just want to update that I'm at 6.5 miles, I have had a lot of family activities since I've been back and have been running anywhere I can. Today I dropped my niece off to paint pottery in a strip mall and found a gym Two doors down in the same shopping center. The owner said I could use the treadmill for 5 bucks and so I knocked out 4 miles today there.

InRecovery,

I just got so sick of being down and lethargic. I KNOW this is why I got hooked on adderall. I decided I needed to be proactive because I've been pretty bad. I sometimes think mental health is something that gets pushed by the wayside for me. Anyway, I started Wellbutrin today along with Lexapro that I'm already on. I don't particularly like being on medication, but I truly believe a lot of the anxiety and depression are genetic. I'll keep you all posted!

I'm going to the gym tomorrow. In Recovery, Good job hunting a gym down....true dedication! And Occasional, very impressed with you as well. Keep it up!

HI friends!! Thanks so much for all the encouragement and motivation!  Ashley I'm really sorry to hear you're going through a rough time.  I hope things start getting better for you and hope that the Wellbutrin works out.  I agree with you that the anxiety seems to be pretty genetic.

I've been getting really into running off my anxiety!  Back in the adderall days I used to wonder what was wrong with all those morning workout people, lol.  But lately, when I wake up at 4 am having my usual morning panic attack, it helps me to take a klonopin and then go running at dawn.  I only do that when it's REALLY bad.  But I usually start feeling better at around mile 3-4, and then can sleep a little more afterwards.  I don't know if thats helpful to you, but it works for me.

Well anyways, I just wanted to update that I'm up to 10 miles for this week. But that includes walking and hiking.  I think I'm at around 8 miles of running.  Just did a 4-5 mile trail run/hike and felt great! Extra challenging with the roots and rocks I had to maneuver, and added a steep hill too.  Anyways I'm totally getting those last 4 tomorrow!  

You all amaze me!!!

Wow occasional! I'm sooo impressed. You are doing this big time. Very proud of you. I think running in the morning would be better for me, because I'm not a morning person, and it's when I'm most anxious. I'm at 7.5 for the week, but that includes walking and running. Keep up the amazing work.

• Like 1

Ashley, I was thinking maybe that you gave up the Kolonopin that has maybe given you some anxiety and depression side effects? And of course PAWS which is always running its depression claws in the background. I really hope you are feeling better now. is the wellbutrin working for you? Running is definitely important for the lethargy since running tends to energize people. Take care of yourself. When i get depressed i just force myself to keep going through the motions until it goes away. And it will go away. you are a recovering addict, always be gentle on yourself. I guess depression can be caused or magnified by PAWS. But no matter how bad it is you can still function and get things done. And you are moving back to school to finish your degree and have a new chapter and challenge ahead of you to look forward to. feel better!

Im at 12.5 for the week.

Keep it up guys :)

• Like 1

InRecovery,

I haven't quit klonopin. I've wanted to, but I don't want to cause more anxiety for myself right now. I only started the Wellbutrin like Monday, but I do see a small improvement. It works a lot different than other antidepressants because it doesn't make you tired. I actually feel a little more energized. It has made me a little jittery and almost more alert, and I don't want ANYTHING that mocks adderall, but I just think it how it works on the body in the beginning. I've always battled depression off and on my whole life, so when breakups or big changes occur in my life (simultaneously happening right now), it seems overwhelming. Oh yeah, and lovely PAWS that I sometimes forget about. I'm going to get through it!!! Thanks for the kind words :) Good job on 12.5!

Ashley I'm so happy the Wellbutrin is helping, even if only just a little! 

Soo...... guess who's back in the club!!   :)  I'm at 14 miles total for the week, 12 were running.  And as usual..... tonight's run only happened because our club is keeping me accountable.   

Good job friends!   :)

• Like 1

Did a few miles last night.  Not sure the exact mileage because I was out of town visiting friends and I just kept going.  

I'm dealing with a lot of very heavy life stuff right now and this was definitely an anxiety/grieving run.   It was really late at night (like 12:30) when I said to my friend, "I can't take it anymore, I know this sounds crazy but I just need to go running."  She gave me a flashlight and some mace and I ran until around 2 am. 

It was really beautiful, with the moon out and a thunderstorm at the very end.   

And I had this major epiphany out there in the darkness: that I AM A RUNNER.  This is a side of me I lost on adderall, and now I am reclaiming it.

I know this sounds pretty great and maybe enviable for people who struggle to get moving (a struggle I definitely relate to.)   It's weird though, because I experienced this realization as a burden in some sense-- an obligation.  A burden, a challenging and joyful one.  Its NOT optional for me.  Just as maintaining my core/back strength is not optional because of my car accident, running is also just not optional, it's required.  I'm going to need to be running miles upon miles every day of my precious short life.   It's the only sustainable method I have for dealing with my own mind.  

This moment reminded me of when I realized that I needed to be a teacher, even though it's one of the harder life paths I could have chosen.   Because despite everything I have to deal with every day for my job, it's what I need to do in order to be and become myself.  And yeah, I'm one of those people who is lucky enough to love their job, but it's a lot of work and a lot of politics.  When I realized I needed to take this path, it was the same kind of epiphany.  The same dread of knowing how hard it would be-- how hard I would need to push myself every day.  But also the same sense of joy, knowing that it's a good path and it doesn't matter how hard it is because it's fucking worth it.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your support Ashley!!! <3

How's everyone doing?!

Went for an amazing 5-mile evening trail run, on top of a little mountain that you have to climb first (1/2 mile, ~500 feet gain).  Got to watch the sunset at the end and it was really beautiful.

Haven't been keeping up with my push up goal as much, but did 30 today and those are getting easier.

I remember doing this run last year, when I was taking adderall (both on and off adderall days.)  I'm feeling sooo much fitter now.  I ran the whole loop this time and in the past I used to walk several sections.   And then, I remember having a horrible running hangover afterwards because of adderall and dehydration.   I love that I get to actually enjoy the runner's high now.

Hey! I'll join this club. It's cool to read about other people's runs and experiences. My goal is to run 30 minutes or more every weekday, but 12 miles/week also feels like a good goal. So far this week I'm at 5.5 miles. I have always found the evenings to be my favorite running time, but unfortunately it's hard to fit evening runs into my schedule because I often have after work plans. Trying to run in the morning or at lunch but it just seems harder and I get tired faster. Is it possible to acclimate your body to get used to running at a different time of day?

Edit: I am also doing light lifting daily for about 20 minutes. Doing four different types of lifts with 20 reps x 3 sets, with 5 lb weights. I'm trying to get my arms a little more toned between now and September.

• Like 1

Yeah Cat!!!  I'm so happy you're joining! :)

I really like having a weekly goal better than a daily goal.  I've made up thousands of daily goals but they never work out because my schedule is always changing, or because some days I just don't feel like it, and then I fall off the bandwagon, feel hopeless, and give up.   The weekly goal lets me be flexible.  It's also fun to read about people's experiences and check in here.  It really helps hold me accountable.

Maybe the weekly goal could help you with your evening workout?  If you run 3 miles, 4x a week, or 4 miles 3x, or 6 miles 2x, that could let you work around your evening plans and just go when you want.

In terms of your question about switching your workout time, I think it's possible.  When I was on adderall it HAD to be in the evenings (which eventually became never).  But now I can go in the mornings too and I'm fine with it.  Actually, I kind enjoy morning running now.  I feel great all day, endorphines + knowing that I already worked out + no time to talk myself out of it! :)

Occasional,

I had one of those fuck-this-anxiety workouts tonight. All night at work I was full of it. I had no desire to go to the gym, but I got on the treadmill, and it was almost like I could feel the stress calming down with each stride. I did 5.5....mostly running, but some walking. I can't keep track of how much is running when I'm on the treadmill, and if I'm moving I'm better, so I'm just going to count 5.5 toward my weekly goal :) good job cat!

• Like 1

OK update!

I got another piece of crappy news in the form of a mean email from a family member.  It made me cry for hours and it made me really angry, so I took it out on working out.   I wanted to run longer, but I just did a quick 20 minutes because I had plans to see live music with a friend. 

I ran maybe a mile and a half which felt great.  Gonna run more tonight. Then I brought my hoop to the show and hoop-danced for around 45 minutes or an hour.  I used to hoop every day and I'd like to start doing that more so I can keep getting better and learning new moves.  It's fun, burns the same # of calories as running, and its an amazing core workout that's not boring (unlike sit ups etc.)  Oh yeah, also did 10 push ups which brings me to 40 for this week! 

How's everyone doing?   Happy Friday!