QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Running Club

Greg

Guys,

Occasional, Im so sorry to hear you are having a rough time :( I hope you feel better soon.

Cat- Great to have you in the club!

just quickly chiming in before heading out. been super busy, seeing relatives almost every day..went canoing and capsized twice in the lake.

every chance i get I keep leaving them to go for a run. They all know I am doing the 12 mile a week thing. And my little nephew is always asking me how many miles i have to go. Everybody is getting in on the running thing. And we all entered into a 5k run this weekend. Anyway, I got 12 in! 

It is Friday..updates guys!!

• Like 1

I'm so impressed by you all! I just tried to get creative on the treadmill since I'm kind of a slow runner. I decided I was going to run 3 songs much quicker than my normal pace, then walk a song. Maybe it was an excuse to walk a little too...ha. Anyway, by the end I thought my legs were going to stop working...wow. Still got 5.5 in (mostly running) so that puts me at 11 this week so far. InRecovery, that's very cool about your family getting in on it too! Occasional, sorry to hear about family drama. And Cat, so glad you joined us!

• Like 1

Thanks so much friends.  Your support means a lot, and its also helpful also to write about working out, my relationship with my workouts, and their theraputic role in my life.  Makes me wanna work out more!

InRecovery I love that your family is asking about how many miles you've done so far! Cute!   Haha now you have a little kid keeping you accountable in addition to us....lol.

Yay Cat!! I'm so proud of you for instantly racking up those miles! So great to have you join us!

Ashley I like your technique! I"m a slow runner too.  Slow everything actually lol.  Tortoise style!  Hey it's not a bad way to be, I think that's how endurance goes.  I've heard interval training like what you just did is actually really good for you.  And you get to push yourself a little too.  Amazing!

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

Here's my update:

Did another 4 miles and 10 push-ups tonight-- Bringing this week's total to:

50 push ups (met that goal for the first time!!!!)

16 miles (approx)

1 hour of hooping

:)

Ashley - that's awesome. I am so impressed by people who can run that far all at once. I can only go like 30 minutes at a time. Maybe I will try your technique on the next run. Anyway, I ran 3 miles exactly today and then rode my bike to meet up with a friend, about 6 miles round trip.

Hooray!  Let's see.  I got an early start too.  Saturday, I did a short 2.7 miles.  Sunday I went for a hardcore 5 mile hike, fast paced, up a mountain, with a little running thrown in there but not much.  Yesterday I ran 2.8 miles (I think). 

So, total mileage approx. 10 miles including hiking. 5 miles of running.  I also already hit my 50 push-ups for the week!  Feeling stronger! 

Great job everyone! :D

Just a quick check in guys. Its Friday. I am at 7 miles. Technically I could run 5 today, but tomorrow morning is my Charity 5K run (which is only 3.1 miles, lol) but i really don't want to have potentially really sore legs for tomorrow so im going to rest them up a little tonight. Hope everyone is making it to the 12 mile goal! :)

• Like 1

It's not Friday! It's only Thursday! Unless you are overseas? Good to hear the update. I am at 9 miles for the week so far. Today was a first - I ran 3 miles without walking at all. I've also biked about 12 miles and done my lifting routine... once.  ^_^

• Like 1

It's not Friday! It's only Thursday! Unless you are overseas? Good to hear the update. I am at 9 miles for the week so far. Today was a first - I ran 3 miles without walking at all. I've also biked about 12 miles and done my lifting routine... once.  ^_^

Lol, don't know where my head is right now. Keep up the good work you all.

Nice work Cat! I just did 3.5 miles at the gym...running at a much faster pace than usual, then walking some. I really like this type of cardio. Anyway, that means 12.5 for the week for me. It's almost 11 pm on Sunday, so I barely snuck it in....procrastination :) Great job all!

• Like 1

Feeling stronger and more capable of running longer distances!  I have our club to thank for this serious increase in my strength and endurance.

Just ran 7.24 miles consecutively and I haven't run that far in, umm, years.  I really pushed myself and it felt great. Once I got going and the endorphines were flowing I just decided to take the long way. 

Also, did 30 push ups.  Maybe I'll aim for 100 for this week!

How's everyone doing?!?!

That is SO impressive.....over 7 miles of consecutive running?! Daaaaamn girl :) I've done 0 this week so far, but I'll get on it tomorrow. I can't believe how much you've improved in this short period of time. Keep it up, woman!

I'm curious...have you noticed a change mentally as well? I mean, I'm sure you have, I'm just curious as to how much of an impact the exercise has had on your mind. They aren't lying about exercise being an anti-depressant :)

Thanks Ashley! :)  I seriously can't believe it either! 

I think part of the reason I improved so fast is because it's become my main outlet. I take it all out on running and it really helps.  I come home with a huge runner's high that I enjoy so much.  I've started making it a habit, mainly for the overall mental benefits, so I go before I even start having a panic attack or otherwise feeling crappy.

I'm also taking klonopin and wellbutrin, so it's hard to pinpoint what's meds and what's from exercise, but I think that running has been helping me with everything.   Running used to be my only medication, way back when.  Hopefully one day it will again.

I've been sleeping better and longer.  (Being alcohol-free helps with this too.)  

While running, I get a lot of good thinking done.  (Especially if I'm on a trail or someplace beautiful.)  It's very meditative. 

I think it definitely does help with anxiety, (though there are exceptions, like if I'm having a really major panic attack.) 

Instant mood boost that lasts.   I think it is definitely a natural antidepressant. 

I feel better about myself, more comfortable in my own skin.  Feeling/being strong helps me with my body image issues.  Why worry about my size or weight when my body is strong?  :)

Soo, good question Ashley!  What about you? Do you think it's helping?

• Like 1

Love that response! And yes, I agree with all of it. My problem is I haven't quit made it my main outlet for stress. I think I let myself get a little anxious or depressed first, when just picking up and running or walking before that happens is ideal, because it works wonders. Anywaaaaay....

I just did 5 miles outside. I'll be honest...a good chunk (like half) of it was walking, so I'm at 5 for the week :)

• Like 1

sorry i have been SO MIA!!! i was crazy busy with family. I am finally back at school. I wanted to tell you all about my first 5K run too. there were 80 people. but first i have to go run. I am only at 3 miles and it is thursday.

edit - i have to post as Greg again because my InRecovery account is having posting issues again..still me though :)

5K was great guys. It was a "Go for the Gold" run for the mens Olympic Rowing Team. They were all there signing posters and taking photos. And teaching people how to use the rowing machine. They just won the Gold in this years World Cup.

Everyone BOLTED in the beginning of the run. And i was like WHAT??? I thought would be more of a liesurely type job. I was so slow. I was just really not expecting everyone to be running so fast. The fastest time was 6:59 a mile. I finished with 9:20 a mile in the middle but the lower part of the middle LOL. Double LOL. because in the pack there were runners who started 10 minutes LATE and there were also ones running with baby carriages.

I NEED to work on my SPEED. I just run too slow i guess and I am not pushing myself hard enough. I am just trying to get the distance in, and not really paying attention to how fast i am running. But that has to CHANGE. 

Spent the rest of the day picnicing, playing baseball, cards, kayaking and tennis. Was lots of fun!

• Like 1