QuittingAdderall.com Forums

What book are you reading?

Greg

How do you have time to read for pleasure?!

I'm reading "Multipliers" by Liz Wiseman.

Im on summer break!! And I have decided to fill my schedule with nothing to recuperate. (although subject to change if i decide to take summer classes. um.)

Pretty interesting reading experience I'd like to share: Re-reading a book I first read when I was cracked out on adderall.

I knew it was a good book even then, but it's exponentially better than my adderall mind could possibly have understood.

I almost feel like I'm reading a new book entirely. Probably partly because of the memory loss on adderall thing, but also partly because my heart, mind, and approach have all changed. No surprise, but I am amazed by all the things I missed back then. Last time, I must have just sped right through it and on to the next one.

I see more, understand more, appreciate more, think more with my sober brain. I have more of an emotional connection to the book, which helps me to understand it even more fully. (It's a history book full of narratives, so the emotional connection is important to understanding this history. On adderall, I was too emotionally numb to actually feel anything I was reading.)

The biggest reason I ever took adderall is because I thought I was basically illiterate without it. I also believed it helped me understand books on a deeper level. Turns out I was so wrong, and I'm only realizing this now that I'm re-reading this book. So, it DOES get better, MUCH better, if anyone considering quitting or first quitting is reading this.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The only thing that got me through any of the first time I tried quitting cold turkey was Lit by Mary Karr.  It's a memoir mostly about alcoholism but all the addiction stuff she goes through is the same.  I woke up to that book every morning for a month and it kept reminding me how I was wasting my life on adderall. Life on the drug is such a limited existence, like walking around in a space suit, separate from everyone. 

Here's one beautiful quote I always go back to. She's referring to booze but its the same for Adderall: "[Drugs] ensure that life gets lived in miniature. In lieu of the large feelings -- sorrow, fury, joy -- I had their junior counterparts -- anxiety, irritation, excitement."  

• Like 2