QuittingAdderall.com Forums

DAY 6 without any. REFILL TODAY, tempted...advice?

ally

Hello, So after sleeping the past week away, (I was trying to go cold turkey) my refill was today. How does everyone else feel around day 6-7? Should I keep sweating it out? Or use my script for step down method? Please tell me what others have experienced around this time, and what to expect next. I feel like I cant even take a shower without one. Advice please?

Based on your story the step down method isn't going to work for you. It only works for people that have never abused the drug. If you've ever taken more than your prescribed dose, you know what more feels like and you will give into that voice that says "just a little more" whenever you feel like shit, which will be frequently. The addiction will be too strong. Yes, cold turkey is torturous, but not as torturous as fighting easily accessible temptation multiple times a day in addition to going through withdrawals. I needed to completely cut off my access to the drug to quit, and I think all of us who are successfully sober will tell you the same thing. I felt like complete shit for the first 3 months. Honestly, day 6 and day 60 felt no different to me. But you only have to go through the first crappy few months once and then it will get a little easier. Think of it as an investment in your future.

• Like 2

How bad do you really want or need to quit?

Getting a refill after being off the drug for six days is not "stepping down" at all - in fact getting another refill is just giving in to your addiction and going back to using.

Like Cassie said, you already have six days invested into a better future without adderall. Don't fuck that up by getting more pills.

• Like 3

Hi Ally,

If you truly want to quit, then don't get a refill. Just don't. I cannot stress this enough. Every pill you take will set you back. You are already 6 days into your recovery and even though those 6 days are some of the worst, your brain/body has already started healing. A refill is a pathway to relapse. The voice in your head that thinks you can step down is the voice of addiction trying to trick you into relapse. Don't give in to it.

If you truly want to quit, you're going to need to keep sweating it out. Keep sleeping, fuck showering if you don't want to right now. Eat some really good food and let yourself be lazy.

It's gonna take some time and the first month or two is pretty rough, but it's worth it.

For many people, quitting is only possible once you cut yourself off from your source. That's the only reason I quit, I got cut off. If you are serious about quitting, I'd strongly recommend cutting yourself off in whatever way you need to.

• Like 2

Thanks occasional01!!! EAT JUNK FOOD, LAY ON THE COUCH, AND WATCH FAMILY GUY!!! GOT IT! lol, I will continue to do as I am doing. You made me feel not so lazy, in a weird way, lol. I got rid of the script, its gone, and my last half pill is put in a safe my boyfriend has the keys, I wont take it again! YAY DAY 7!

• Like 2

Ally, you made it this far. Congratulations. Don't think another minute about turning back now. Just take it day by day, moment by moment, nap by nap. It does get easier, eventually. Staying on or going back to adderall though will only eventually make life much harder. Keep going!

• Like 1

The one thing I've heard over and over here that has given me faith in the quitting process is that quitting is not a linear process. It's not like every day you feel better and better. Just trudge through it. You can do it! Sleep if you need to sleep and don't feel guilty about it. Life itself has ups and downs, as does recovery. You will feel better....just hang in there.

• Like 3

DAY 9, NOT SO FINE! cravings came back badly, slept in til 2, idk what happened. I feel like shit an useless again.

Today I was just thinking to myself. Quitting is like a skill. You get better and better at it as you read other people's advice and experiences, hang around the forums, post advice and insights , and gain more clean time under your belt. Keep it strong!

• Like 3

Sleep in and enjoy it girl!!! Sounds amazing!! You have been working your mind/body way too hard for as long as you've been taking those amp's and now you are recovering and healing. What a beautiful thing, as much as it hurts, it's amazing that the brain can recover from adderall. GO YOU! Recovery is not linear and there are temptations and recovery days well into the process....... but it DOES GET BETTER. Overall. The roller coaster becomes more mellow, the more time you allow yourself to heal. Just PRESS ON!

Ally,

Congratulations on your decision. Remember: easy does it, but do it.

Today is day 54 for me. My disease had progressed to the point where I needed to go to rehab, and I am now about halfway through a 90-day inpatient transitional living program.

I thought spending 3 months with a bunch of "dopeheads and alcoholics" was a ridiculous proposition. I've come to learn we have more in common than I could have imagined. There are a lot of good resources here: http://www.na.org/

The decision to press pause on my life (parts of which were crumbling/imploding) and check myself into treatment is the best decision I have ever made. We have a long road ahead. Believe it will be worth it.

Best,

H-C

P.S. I learned a lot about my own chemical dependency, or addiction, in this video:

• Like 1

Dear H.C,

Congratulations on that amazing leap towards recovery. Sometimes I wish I had gone to rehab so I could learn more about the inner workings of the brain and how addiction affects it. My understanding is so rudimentary, based mostly on a few books and what I've picked up on this site.

Welcome to the forums and we would love you to check in as much as you want to. Share the ups and the downs; we all do. Recovery isn't linear, as I learned on this site as well.

Congratulations again,

• Like 1

Ally,

Congratulations on your decision. Remember: easy does it, but do it.

Today is day 54 for me. My disease had progressed to the point where I needed to go to rehab, and I am now about halfway through a 90-day inpatient transitional living program.

I thought spending 3 months with a bunch of "dopeheads and alcoholics" was a ridiculous proposition. I've come to learn we have more in common than I could have imagined. There are a lot of good resources here: http://www.na.org/

The decision to press pause on my life (parts of which were crumbling/imploding) and check myself into treatment is the best decision I have ever made. We have a long road ahead. Believe it will be worth it.

Best,

H-C

Hey HC. Congratulations on your quit. Do you think you could share with the group a little about what rehab is like -- like your day to day? I think a lot of addicts on here are trying to quit without rehab but curious about what goes on behind the rehab walls.