QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How I quit Adderall

quit-once

Congrats, quit once! It's funny, when I quit it seemed like you and inrecovery were eons ahead of me in the recovery process. Now that I'm at 1.5 years I feel like we're all sort of on the same wavelength. Good for you for staying off speed and the cigs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It has been about four years since I quit and two years since I updated this thread.  I'm not seeking any messages or replies of "congratulations".....because I believe that congratulations should be saved for rewarding one's accomplishments.  I have not achieved anything big since quitting  - just a better life beyond my Adderall and nicotine addictions.  I am concerned that my relationship with alcohol has become increasingly abusive, especially during the last two years.  And I am clueless on what to do about it.  Even though alcohol has not caused any disruptions in my life, I don't like how anticipate an occasion to drink and drink more than intended when I do.  I would welcome any suggestions on how to handle this developing problem so I can avoid a train wreck later on.  Before using Adderall, I drank a lot of alcohol, during Adderall, I basically quit drinking and now I can feel this alcohol addiction returning.

I just wanted to update my thread and thank all of you who contribute to these forums.  New content and new stories as well as regular comments and updates from all of our members is what keeps these forums interesting and entertaining.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but I have to say it anyway whether you like it or not.  Congratulations on conquering the demon of adderall.  You are a great role model.

This may or may not be even slightly helpful, but for what it's worth:

I realized a long time ago that I'm not the kind of person that can go to the pub and just enjoy a single pint of beer.  If I go out with a friend for a beer, I can expect to leave around 12-1am with between 6-8 pints on my tab.  On the bright side, this has certainly led to a lot of fun evenings in my 20s, but in general, my whole next day is ruined as a result.

I haven't quit drinking entirely, but have come to terms with this realization and just drink very rarely (once every 2-3 months, or on special occasions), and am careful in what settings I allow myself to take the chance.  I still go to pubs fairly often with friends but just indulge in food specials and appetizers instead, and just order water (I'm sure the servers hate me :unsure: ).

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I am concerned that my relationship with alcohol has become increasingly abusive, especially during the last two years.  And I am clueless on what to do about it.  Even though alcohol has not caused any disruptions in my life, I don't like how anticipate an occasion to drink and drink more than intended when I do.  I would welcome any suggestions on how to handle this developing problem so I can avoid a train wreck later on.  Before using Adderall, I drank a lot of alcohol, during Adderall, I basically quit drinking and now I can feel this alcohol addiction returning.

I just wanted to update my thread and thank all of you who contribute to these forums.  New content and new stories as well as regular comments and updates from all of our members is what keeps these forums interesting and entertaining.

Quit once - can I suggest you check out some forums with recovering alcoholics and see if you can relate to them? If you can relate ... It's time to start dealing with something that could spiral out of control. If you can't relate, then maybe you just need to cut back or try going a month sober and see how you feel.

To Greg, Grumpycat and AlwaysAwsome, thank you for your feedback and perspectives on alcohol.  It is a difficult subject for me to discuss and I sincerely appreciate you all engaging me in this conversation.  Had I not experienced an Adderall addiction, I would be in solid denial that I might have a problem.  I'm still not sure it is a problem....yet.  But I recognize all the early symptoms of an addiction and I know it is something I will eventually need to deal with.

Greg, your suggestion of quitting for a month (or even a week) scares the hell out of me because I am afraid of failure and what that might mean.  It feels the same way as when I tried not to take Adderall and realized the addiction was stronger than I ever imagined.  I might be an alcoholic or have an alcohol dependency.  There.  I said it and now I feel better.

AlwaysAwsome -  that ice cream churn might just be the enabler you didn't need for your ice cream addiction! :P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Five Years!

It was five years ago today that I divorced all stimulants and my addiction died of natural causes.  Looking at my addiction in such final terms has helped me maintain my freedom and regain my life.  I am equally proud of quitting smoking at that same time frame, as I was addicted to cigarettes for over 30 years.  I have also been lucky enough to enjoy a life without major medical issues or anything pharmaceutical since quitting.   Life beyond addiction is a better life indeed.  Thanks to everyone reading this for celebrating today with me!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...