QuittingAdderall.com Forums

NA Meetings

tinybuddha

Has anyone been to NA meeting while in recovery or trying to quit adderall? I have never been to a meeting myself but I know it would be extremely helpful for me to have some type of support with this. Especially because as with many other adderall abusers I have to fight the urge to isolate. I am just unsure if this type of meeting would be helpful or to more geared toward the issues that involve addiction to street drugs? There is no judgement(trust me with how I have messed up my life over last few years I wouldn't be in a place) Did anyone find it helpful? Or felt it didn't fit? Thanks

Hi tinybuddha and Mike --

I have experience with 12-step programs via my primary 'addiction,' food. I haven't been to NA, but from my 1.5+ years in the sister program I am a part of, I can say a couple things about the AA-based addiction treatment model in general if it helps.

First, it's been my experience that this approach really works. It is something, though, that has to be right for you and you have to want for yourself, as it's a very personal program. By that I mean that there is a general set of tenets and suggested plan of action but a lot of room for interpretation, and taking what works for you and leaving the rest is what a lot of people do. No set-in-stone hierarchy and no experts either, just people with more time in recovery who are ready and willing to help newcomers by telling them what's worked for them from having been there themselves (this can vary from person to person in the way of sponsors, but it's up to individuals to pick the style they gel with best). Also, fellow members don't so much tell you what to do beyond "don't pick up the drugs" and try to follow the steps with your sponsor however you and that person see fit -- they just try to focus on what the program suggests and suggest what they think would work or what they've seen work in their own lives.

The bulk of the work comes from you figuring out how the program fits best for you and letting that process develop over time -- some go a more explicitly spiritual route, others stay in the realm of the practical and/or secular, as it is adaptable that way. No two people do it exactly the same way, but there is a certain spirit to it that some people really take to and others don't. It's been great for me, but again, it's really a personal choice.

M

Hi Guys,

When I attended N/A, I couldn't find anyone who struggled with ritalin or adderall abuse. Not too many could relate with the whole aspect of taking the drug to "push oneself to achieve more" which was frustrating for me. Because I couldn't find answers on how to deal with that specific aspect of my addiction.

That being said, I still think NA is a great resource. There are many aspects of addiction the adderall addict can share with all of the other addicts - Painkiller addicts, cocaine addicts, heroin addicts - mainly the urge to use again and again and again. The program helps reinforces the message of staying clean on a constant basis. The literature is written in such a way that it applies to all addicts. If you tend to isolate it also is a great support group and network. It really forces you out the door to interact with others and I made a lot of friends.

When I was in N/A, I got in touch with some sponsors. And I read the literature over and over and over and OVER again, just praying for answers. The program definitely has a certain mentality and set of specific principles that it helps reinforce over and over again. I stopped the program when I relapsed. I'm not sure why I relapsed while in the program. I think it's because I had not fully resigned myself to quitting when I was attending NA. In the back of my mind, I always seem to be pondering using it again. It might be a lot different if I did it now, now that I'm fully resigned to quit. And I am always considering going back to meetings now.

Personally, this site has been really helpful to me in being able to reach out to fellow addicts specifically dependent on adderall. There certainly is a distinction between the adderall addiction and other addictions. And I feel like a lot of those distinctions are being addressed here.

• 2 months later...

I was actively involved in AA for 3 years and recently went to an NA meeting. Certain areas are more prone to have addicts of certain drugs, but i assure you there are plenty adderall junkies out there. the program offers instant support, sober people and immediate acceptance. I recommend going- I will be after I get my energy back