QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Pills Anonymous

Cassie

I went to a Pills Anonymous meeting last night because being unemployed and not having a daily routine is making me feel a little 'relapsey.' There happens to be one of these groups right by my house. I was a little disappointed to discover it was exactly the same as AA/NA. I feel out of place in those 12 step groups because 1) they feel cultish and 2) they preach total abstinence and I'm a social drinker-glass of wine with dinner-kind of person. I fail to see why I would abstain from something that simply isn't an issue for me. So, that's my review of PA. I had a better experience with smart recovery, it's a non-religious, non 12 step support group. Has anyone been to Crystal Meth Anonymous? Probably also 12 step but the using/recovery issues are probably the most similar, and meth people usually don't have problems with alcohol either.

• Like 1

Cassie,

I'm glad you shared this. I actually googled pills anonymous a couple of days ago because I've been feeling meh....no PA in my area. I'm going through changes, going to school where my adderall use started and just haven't been in my normal routine either. I had a craving (or something like that) the other night while laying in bed, and it was VERY uncomfortable.....after 15 months, I'm like...really? Anyway, I'm thinking I might go to AA. I have similar thoughts on it as you, but I do think it does teach great coping skills and helps you realize you're not alone. I can relate to what people say in there. I'm just so uncomfortable in that setting, but it's worth it, if I can just make myself go. Again, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Cassie, 

When I was still using I went to an NA meeting. It was a little to hard core with ex crack heads etc. The 12 step method is the gold standard for recovery. There is no one size fits all solution for recovery. My Dad's a 30 year AA guy, I go to a meeting with him every once and a while. Try different meeting to find a group you mesh with.    

l went to a pills anonymous meeting in NYC.  I expected it to be jam-packed; NYC is full of people on something.  

When I arrived, I thought I was in the wrong place because I was the only one there, and the room was tiny.  After a while, a middle-aged guy who sounded kind of drunk (and definitely depressed) showed up.  The meeting ran exactly like an AA/NA meeting, which is fine (but I don't really know how those work because I've only been to a few AA and OA meetings in my life).  It was just the two of us, until... thank GOD, another woman around my age showed up.  She was pretty awesome actually.  Very smart, articulate, was struggling with benzos.  We couldn't wait til the meeting was over so we could actually talk.  I wanted to go out and get a coffee with her afterwards but both of us had to get home.

So anyway, that was my experience with Pills Anonymous.  It really makes me wonder why it is so unpopular?

l went to a pills anonymous meeting in NYC.  I expected it to be jam-packed; NYC is full of people on something.  

When I arrived, I thought I was in the wrong place because I was the only one there, and the room was tiny.  After a while, a middle-aged guy who sounded kind of drunk (and definitely depressed) showed up.  The meeting ran exactly like an AA/NA meeting, which is fine (but I don't really know how those work because I've only been to a few AA and OA meetings in my life).  It was just the two of us, until... thank GOD, another woman around my age showed up.  She was pretty awesome actually.  Very smart, articulate, was struggling with benzos.  We couldn't wait til the meeting was over so we could actually talk.  I wanted to go out and get a coffee with her afterwards but both of us had to get home.

So anyway, that was my experience with Pills Anonymous.  It really makes me wonder why it is so unpopular?

The meeting I went to was pretty full actually, but apparently Pills Anonymous was started in Phoenix, so maybe it's more popular here. I didn't dislike the meeting, I guess I was just hoping to meet other Adderallics. I got the feeling most of the people were dealing with opiates - there were many older people with injuries there - and many were alcoholics too so it was all about total sobriety. I guess I just feel like a hypocrite at 12 step meetings being that I'm a social drinker, like I have to keep that fact a secret or something. I don't have anything against 12 step programs in general.