QuittingAdderall.com Forums

One Word Status Update

JustinW

I am not sure what to do. My job is requiring a skill level of excel that is just above my head. and there's no one to lead on for guidance. (that's a whole another story)

Sounds like a shitty company culture if people aren't willing to help each other. Maybe you can practice Excel a little on the weekends and look for new jobs on the side.
  • Like 2

Depressed. I turned in careless work and got yelled by my boss. But I'm being told to do excel stuff that is way too advanced for me even if I studied, it's too advanced. If I felt I could read a book and learn I would, ... But I will give it a shot. I'm drinking and depressed and I told my boss that I'm intermediate excel level and I wanted to set the expectations, and I will give this awful task a shot. Covered myself the best that I could,

• Like 1

Sounds like a shitty company culture if people aren't willing to help each other. Maybe you can practice Excel a little on the weekends and look for new jobs on the side.

The corporate culture is all over the place with such a big company! Remember last summer it was all about politics. Now in a different division it's less about politics and more about yelling at you and giving shit if you make mistakes. And asking for things that require a high level of intelligence.,,and that's what originally drew me to adderall. Trying to be more intelligent ..I thought adderall was the way....and...ugh now I'm drinking and depressed and giving myself a night off to watch tv and sleep :-( I don't want to face any more music tonight

• Like 1

Confused.

How do I act "operatically without singing"? Seriously, is that a thing? LOL, I rocked it last night, but the director wants me to do more...^^^ Not sure what he means, but I am going to go larger than life and see how it goes. Call time is 5 pm every Thursday-Friday in October. So much awesome!

This makes me smile! I'm happy you are doing what you love! Keep rocking it!

Operatically synonym for dramatically?

• Like 2

The corporate culture is all over the place with such a big company! Remember last summer it was all about politics. Now in a different division it's less about politics and more about yelling at you and giving shit if you make mistakes. And asking for things that require a high level of intelligence.,,and that's what originally drew me to adderall. Trying to be more intelligent ..I thought adderall was the way....and...ugh now I'm drinking and depressed and giving myself a night off to watch tv and sleep :-( I don't want to face any more music tonight

Sounds like a character building opportunity. Excel or any issues are all about approaching the problems many different ways. 

I feel like a fraud at my job all the time. I am sent into customer facilities and am purported to be an expert on the subject matter. If you need some excel guidance I am always willing to lend a helping hand.

One word for today and the week, Asheville! North Carolina is beautiful.

• Like 1

Sounds like a character building opportunity. Excel or any issues are all about approaching the problems many different ways. 

You are right. This is a skill building opportunity. Im definitely outside my confort zone. And I am being challenged to work outside my comfort zone and build new skills which will be extremely beneficial in long run. I wish i could sustain this great outlook throughout the day to day - lol. It's hard though. 

• Like 1

Thanks JustinW!

'A friend of mine who is really strong at excel sat down with me today and gave me some pointers. All i can do is strive to get better.

When I have to do an Excel or database report that I don't know how to do, I have someone show me and record the screencast. That way they only have to show me once and I don't need to remember - I can just watch the video of it next time.
  • Like 3

You are right. This is a skill building opportunity. Im definitely outside my confort zone. And I am being challenged to work outside my comfort zone and build new skills which will be extremely beneficial in long run. I wish i could sustain this great outlook throughout the day to day - lol. It's hard though. 

Just focus on intensely and then forget it. Amazing synapses happen in subconscious this is one of those situations. 

When I have to do an Excel or database report that I don't know how to do, I have someone show me and record the screencast. That way they only have to show me once and I don't need to remember - I can just watch the video of it next time.

OMG! i wish i got this advice sooner. That is such an incredibly good idea!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you use for your screencast? 

OMG! i wish i got this advice sooner. That is such an incredibly good idea!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you use for your screencast?

I use Zoom, my company's web conferencing software. I think you can get a free version. You could also use Screencastomatic. I pretty much record any task someone has to show me how to do that's more than a few steps.

thanks for the motivation, ive been able to build a complex excel model of pivot tables and pivot charts, and my excel skills have gone up tremendously. I spent two hours every morning at work just studying pivot tables --

I've also had to learn very advanced power point. Its been a big climb. But i guess my skills have gone up. I had no choice to learn. Did lots of googling. I cranked out 49 page powerpoint of pure graphs, bar charts, tables etc...from an excel model of pivot tables that I built from a data file i cleaned up. Im surprised Ive been able to push myself to this level. It really felt impossible.

The good thing though is that more you learn and understand the easier it gets. 

If i were to look at this optimistically - my line of thinking should be this:

Ive been challenged and forced outside of my comfort zone..forced to develop skills in areas that Im weaker in but have become a stronger employee because im more well rounded. Im also learning and getting very 'meaty' assignments and i'm building skill sets and contributing on a high level. And that's important for my learning, and development as an employee and my future growth.

i need to repeat that to myself every day when i feel like quitting lol because i hate excel, i feel hopeless, frustrated and and i want to SCREAM at my boss for doing this to me.

• Like 1