QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Pill Cleanse

I can't join you right now, but I would like to work on overcoming my pill-popping mentality in general.   Between the vitamins, supplements, and meds I feel like I'm popping pills for everything.   I want to get past that.  It's more of a long term goal, but this seems to be a great approach I could try someday.   

Anyway, I'd love to hear updates on how this works out for you! 

Yes, I am abstaining from all pills including vitamins and other supplements.   I need a break from the 'taking" mentality mindset.  I realize that some people must take some pills, like antihistamines, antibiotics and birth control.  I  want to establish a baseline for how I feel without taking any pills for about three weeks.  I have been 100%  pill free for four days now and I am already sleeping better.  Why three weeks?  no idea-it just sounded like a good cleansing time frame

Lil Tex I am glad to hear you are drug-pill free.  After being a slave to adderall for nine years, I still relish my freedom from having to take a pill, despite not really wanting to at some point prior to caving in to the addiction or temptation.. 

• Like 2

Week one. I have not croaked without my vitamins, tyrosine, lions mane, chromium, fish oil, or caffeine pills. In fact I do not really feel any different than when I took all that shit. I drink even less coffee and red bull, and my sleep and energy levels are about the same. The hardest thing to kick is the habit of taking the stupid things in the first place. I think about taking a pill everytime I was used to taking them, but don't really miss them. Total freedom

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Today will mark three weeks of not taking pills.  I didn't make it 100% pill free.  I took Lions Mane on three different days last week because I felt like I needed more of my brain to plan a training thing for work.  Not sure they helped.  And yesterday my dog had a porcupine encounter and a trip to the vet at 2 AM so I took an ativan to wind down and get some sleep.  Other than that, I stayed off the vitamins, tyrosine, and the caffeine supplements (in pill and liquid form) and everything else.  I felt hung over from the ativan and I could tell I had taken a drug.  I was almost addicted to that evil drug during adderall.

Some observations:  sleep was better.  I slept through the night without getting up to pee - I think that any pills, even vitamins, put an extra load on the kidneys.  Also, I forgot about the bath scales and only weighed myself once or twice (no change in my body weight during this cleanse) instead of daily.

I don't plan on restarting any pills unless I think I really need them.  This cleanse has proven to me that I do not neeed to be taking any pills that are not essential and none are for me at this time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I read this as, "Also, I forgot about the bath salts.." LOL.

I know this is off topic, but I just felt like putting it out there. I was starting to become addicted to bath salts while I was already addicted to adderall. I've never tried cocaine but I would assume that cocaine is in every way like bath salts. Too crazy. I'm glad the government got that shit off the market or else I might have wound up with two stimulant addictions. I remember the last day I went to the store and they no longer had bath salts. I was very upset. Then I realized it was a good thing. At least my sober brain today is smart enough to stay away from all those types of things. I always will have a weakness for stimulants.

• Like 2

I never tried the bath salts, but I did smoke a fair amount of spice before they outlawed it.  Actually I quit smoking spice when I realized it was fucking up my lungs, about six month before quitting Adderall.  It was good practice because I really hadn't been successful quitting anything until then and it gave me the sense of confidence I needed to quit Adderall.

So while we are off topic, there is something bugging me about the spell checker around here.  I recently downloaded some computer updates and one of them was a new version of internet explorer.  Ever since then, the spell checker on this site has kicked in and started working.  For the most part it is good, but now the goddamn thing always wants to capitalize the word Adderall, and I don't believe it is worthy of being capitalized because it is such a fucked up drug.   

• Like 2

Ever since quitting, I have had these bouts of insomnia caused by sore muscles in the middle of  my back in the middle of the night.  During my pill cleanse in September, I posted that I was sleeping better.  Something I was taking was likely causing my insomnia.  I stayed away from most of my supplements except tyrosine and lions mane, but I have been taking a few more lately.

The other day, I took only a multivitamin (GNC Ultramega with iron) and I had the sore back in the middle of the night for the next two nights.  It was even worse the second night, and I did not take any other pills. The last two nights I have slept just fine.  I believe there is something in this vitamin/mineral supplement causing my back pain and insomnia, and I will eventually verify or confirm it and share my final opinion with this forum.  I have also discovered that calcium supplements also cause me insomnia by giving me "hot flashes" in the middle of the night.  But could it be other minerals in the calcium supplements too?  I never dreamed that nutritional supplements could have such intense side effects. 

Update 12/17/13:  The multivitamin with minerals definitely causes back muscle cramps resulting in less than a full nights sleep, for two nights in a row.  I am going to throw the rest of those pills away.

@ Chelle: regarding your question on lions mane, I don't know if it will help you this early in your recovery.  I didn't discover lions mane until about two years after quitting, The results were subtle and sustained.  My mental focus, memory, and clarity have finally returned.  I have taken it for the last six months with great results.  But for early recovery you might want to focus on brain repair with fish oil, although I really have not found a down side to taking the lions mane mushroom, although it is kind of expensive.

Quit-once,

Now I'm wondering if I even capitalize adderall? I'll have to check, but I so get it! I hate the word addy for adderall now (no offense to anyone who says that, just a personal thing). It sounds like an endearing nickname, and it deserves nothing of the sort.

I agree with everything you said, but OCD compels me to capitalize it.  I'm a work in progress but I will try not to capitalize "that which shall not be named" from now on.