QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Vyvanse - A Smoother Fail

swervecity

Sorry for the length of these posts. I appreciate all who read them as I walk this journey.....

So, after quitting Adderall almost three weeks ago with little-to-no noticeable withdrawal side effects -- mostly due to the fact that the Klonopin withdrawal was overriding it -- some thing's have changed. As most of you know, I'm in a difficult position here. I decided to give up Adderall IR mid-semester. It got to a point where I noticed the crashes, coupled with the other medications I was taking (particularly Soma), had brought me to my knees after being on them for about a year. School was becoming an impossibility for this former dean's list student.

Went into the semester knowing in my gut I was entering a difficult situation. I did well for the first few weeks, but knew the Adderall had to go. It was creating an artificiality in both my work and personality, and ruining me. I would binge and crash so hard that I couldn't move or even eat for days at a time. And, uhh....food, sleep, social support, and routine are pretty fundamental to our health. So the rest of the semester was missed classes and assignments.

Asked my professors for some work to get started on during fall break. I noticed two things: The fog was lifting (I was happier and could see things in a less delusional way. "The grass was greener on the other side," if you will), but I was extremely anxious, and I couldn't focus at all.

Back to classes full-time, noticed the symptoms of restlessness, anxiety and inability to focus or sit still ten-fold. I was unsure of whether it was the post-acute withdrawal, or evidence of an actual need for medication (I've had these symptoms for years). Made an appointment with the doctor with the intention to be open about what was going on; however, I cannot lie -- deep within me, and I believe all human beings, is a conniving person which stems from our basic, primitive instinct to survive. Couple that with running the streets for 14 years, and feeling the way I was, I could probably convince a doctor that I'm an asexual alien from outer space with 6 penis' and 2 vagina's who needs heroin, xanax, dilaudid, LSD, and pure MDMA in order to reproduce and keep my race going on Planet Zzxyz.

I say the following statement without boasting, and with some regret: By understanding the complexities involved on both sides of manipulation, I developed my basic elementary instinct of this particular 'skill' into that of a doctorate level. I would compare this 'skill' of manipulation to that of becoming a Grandmaster in Chess. Helpful in some areas of life; extremely dangerous in others -- particularly for people like us.

After a long talk about my past, and what was happening, "we" came to the conclusion that I fit the "criteria" for a person who needs benzodiazapines long-term, especially right now under so much stress. I also mentioned that my inability to focus, the overload of work, and racing thoughts were going to make my head explode. So I mentioned Vyvanse. I'd had some "success" with this in 2011 when I was able to afford it. Part of the reason I went to Adderall IR was it's price. Now that I have good insurance, I can afford Vyvanse and "we" figured I would give it a try.

While I can't say it's been a total failure, as it has helped with focus, organization of thoughts, as well helped my depression. And it's smooth. It doesn't pack that powerful punch that Adderall does, which always inevitably led to a crash convincing my brain that I needed more...and more...and more... However, it has not been a great substitution thus far. I'm still way behind in work, and find that while I don't crash anywhere near as hard, I still notice its effects wearing off after about 3-4 hours. This creates a problem for me (and us). I don't know if the dose is wrong, or I need to avoid amphetamines altogether. Nothing else works for my socialization, attention and depression. And, I'm in school.

Meeting with the Dean to discuss the possibilities as far as classes go tomorrow at 2pm. I am hoping to drop (or take incompletes/extensions) in 1-2 classes, so I can focus on the other two and get 6-9 credits of quality work, as opposed to getting so overwhelmed by the work that I get paralyzed and give up altogether, which will only earn me F's.

Please keep me in your thoughts (and prayers if that's your thing) while I have these important meetings tomorrow. As always, input and insight appreciated, and I pray some of you can relate and were helped by this.

Warm Regards,

Overwhelmed

Couple that with running the streets for 14 years, and feeling the way I was, I could probably convince a doctor that I'm an asexual alien from outer space with 6 penis' and 2 vagina's who needs heroin, xanax, dilaudid, LSD, and pure MDMA in order to reproduce and keep my race going on Planet Zzxyz.

LOL I laughed hysterically at this line. HAHAHA.

Seriously though, Vyvanse is an amphetamine and all you're doing is replacing one amphetamine with another. Hopefully you see the fucked-up-ness of that. I actually preferred the high of Vyvanse to Adderall (because it lasted all day and it's purer amphetamine - dextroamph) and my addiction really got bad after I switched from Adderall to Vyvanse on a daily basis. Even if you don't like it as much as Adderall, it's just as reinforcing.

Also, you say '"we" came to the conclusion that I fit the "criteria" for a person who needs benzodiazapines long-term' but benzos are not supposed to be used long term. It sounds like you're falling into the trap of "this must be safe because it's prescribed by a doctor."  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14731058

I hope you have the strength to get off all these addictive drugs for good someday. You sound like a smart person - you don't need all this shit.

First of all, you sound like you have a lot on your plate, so I really hope it all works out for you. But I think you knew coming here to a site of people whose goal is to quit stimulants (all stimulants), were going to say Vyvanse was anything but a substitute and on the same level as adderall. I've taken it back when I ran out of adderall. It served the same purpose. I don't want to be hard on you, as you're struggling as it is, but we keep it real here. I believe ADHD is a real diagnosis, but I couldn't focus on much for months and months after quitting adderall. You have to decide your own path. Prayer is my thing, so I will keep you in mine. Hang in there!!!

• Like 1

Thanks. Sugar-coated words are not my thing, Ashley.

I guess I just needed reinforcement, and perhaps some suggestions, on what to do BESIDES use Vyvanse in the meantime to get out of the mess I made, because all other options seems impossible. This isn't a willpower thing. If I could will my way to read, understand and write about ancient texts and other things I don't care about then I wouldn't be taking the action I am. Plus, I still don't even know if I have ADD. Signs were there as a child and adolescent, but then I started taking hard drugs -- fast forward 14 years, and I'm back in college after two previous failed attempts. To get here the path was not pretty. Leaving out a decade, I'll skip to the last couple of years: I believe the chain of events leading me here was as follows: ex-girlfriends house, somewhere I can't remember, jail, rehab, hotel room, jail, hotel room, rehab (30 days), rehab (12 months), college IMMEDIATELY after rehab -- probably not the wisest choice. Did really well though. Then Adderall...6 months later, BAM! Downward spiral. I cannot go backwards, and have little options but to proceed with school.

There's no doubt that amphetamines calm the racing storm of thoughts in my head and make me want to get out of bed and live. Adderall made me want to be superman. Vyvanse seems to just make me want to be a man. So perhaps this is just a cry for help with answers I knew I'd receive from you guys. On the other hand, I'm sincerely confused and don't know what to expect from this medication.

A lot of this is just me journaling my path out of this for all of you to see. Each one, teach one...and I need help. And I look around and it's nowhere to be found on campus.

Hopefully I can pay it forward one day.

*On a positive side note, I truly believe I've learned more in this valley then I would have in the classroom. Unfortunately, the world doesn't care about life experiences, failures and redemption. That won't get me a job. A fucking piece of paper will.

Hi swervecity, it sounds like you already know deep down what you have to do. Quit all stimulants. I was on Adderall for two years and Vyvanse for two years. At first I was drawn to Vyvanse for the same reasons - smoother, lasts all day, crash wasn't as bad. But like Cassie my addiction got worse on Vyvanse as it became a daily, entrenched, reinforced habit - couldn't go a single day without taking one. When I finally quit I couldn't focus at all. However I was able to hold onto my job. Ten months later I'd say I'm getting as much or more done as pre-quit, the hardest part is doing it without the surge and thrill of amphetamine every morning. So making it through school while quitting isn't an impossibility, but it will be a lot easier if you can drop a class or two. 

You've obviously dealt with some struggles in your life and have overcome other addictions. You've got this. Good luck! 

• Like 2

Still in talks with the "authorities". So far there looks to be three options:

1. Withdrawal completely, lose $15,000. Go home, try to get healthy.

2. Withdrawal from two classes so I can focus on the other two.

3. Remain a full-time student, but basically tell my professors of one or two classes that if they don't give me extensions, I plan on failing the class.

No.2 sounds like the best option, but there are implications involved with financial aid (I was given a certain amount of money to be a full-time student that lives on campus). If I drop two, I become part-time and they'd have to figure something out. They have made exceptions in the past.

I don't mind #3 either. If I fail, I'll just take it over. Whatever, man. Our health has to come first.

#1 -- Meh. Not so much.

Lesson learned.

I did declare my major though. I'm pursuing a masters in Counseling. So eventually I can tell a future one of us the lesson's I did learn during this semester, and hopefully they can avoid the same trap.

Textbook counselors with little life experience...well, they're nice people. Thanks.

swervecity

Hay my brother if you are trying to justify the use of any type of stimulants its not going to work . This web sit is devoted for peapal who have quit using adderall or who want to stop using any type of stimulants so don’t go there brother you apparently what our permission so you can use VYVANSE its not going to happen .Your mind is already set and there is no one that can change your mind except for YOURSELF. I guess you have not hit the rock bottom jest yet hopefully you will never because its a fucked up place to be as most of our members have bin there and don that .Good luck in your education I sincerely hope the best for you in your journey to higher learning

THE FALCON

• 8 years later...
On 10/21/2013 at 11:22 PM, swervecity said:

say the following statement without boasting, and with some regret: By understanding the complexities involved on both sides of manipulation, I developed my basic elementary instinct of this particular 'skill' into that of a doctorate level. I would compare this 'skill' of manipulation to that of becoming a Grandmaster in Chess. Helpful in some areas of life; extremely dangerous in others -- particularly for people like us.

I know this post is like 10 years old but I related to it so much.  This is me.  And I am an addiction counselor so I'm particularly savvy.  It's very helpful at times.  And allows me to manipulate like a crazy person against my own best interest at times.  I found this old post by searching Vyvanse (for reassurance it isn't the answer) bc I so fucking want it to be the answer.  Or Concerta.  Or some other pill that will help but I don't have so much control over having to decide whether or not I need another 5mg. I know these things are not the answer.  Fuck.

• Like 2

@DelaneyJulietteSame. I want to take a pill. Nothing works or makes me feel better though - even wellbutrin, melatonin. This just sucks. I am a professional self sabotager. I will eat clean, work out, not take adderall, drink, be nice to everyone around me, get 7-8 hours of sleep for a few days and then I mess up on one damn thing and it is like a domino effect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hopefulily said:

@DelaneyJulietteSame. I want to take a pill. Nothing works or makes me feel better though - even wellbutrin, melatonin. This just sucks. I am a professional self sabotager. I will eat clean, work out, not take adderall, drink, be nice to everyone around me, get 7-8 hours of sleep for a few days and then I mess up on one damn thing and it is like a domino effect.

OMG i am so angry at my brain for the domino affect!!!!  One 5mg that really helped at the time turned into a weeklong bender.  I have an appt with a recovery coach and a therapist tomorrow, both of whom I have worked with in the past.  I hope I can stop this train before it gains much more momentum.  It's like... this huge part of me doesn't WANT TO STOP IT!  I mean, a huge part of me does, which is why i am doing all this.  But when i'm in it... UGH!!!!!

Same!!! I want to stop it soooo bad but also another part doesn't and I hate both parts of me weirdly enough!!! A thought I try to remember - my friend recently lost her dad and had to write his obituary. She said as morbid of a thought as it is to think about writing her own it also helped her gain clarity on focusing on the things that really matter and not the things that don't. I do NOT want my obituary to have that sense of well she took adderall her whole life and kind of was this weird zombie robot of a human who lost the ability to connect with people in her once quirky but caring way.

Maybe I will finish this exercise. Write one with adderall in my life and one without... Attention: A Love Story is really, really good. I have a hard time though because I feel like it was so different to wean off when I didn't have kids... But then again I have hardly given it a full try...

1 hour ago, Hopefulily said:

Same!!! I want to stop it soooo bad but also another part doesn't and I hate both parts of me weirdly enough!!! A thought I try to remember - my friend recently lost her dad and had to write his obituary. She said as morbid of a thought as it is to think about writing her own it also helped her gain clarity on focusing on the things that really matter and not the things that don't. I do NOT want my obituary to have that sense of well she took adderall her whole life and kind of was this weird zombie robot of a human who lost the ability to connect with people in her once quirky but caring way.

Maybe I will finish this exercise. Write one with adderall in my life and one without... Attention: A Love Story is really, really good. I have a hard time though because I feel like it was so different to wean off when I didn't have kids... But then again I have hardly given it a full try...

I'll be doing so well and then there are a series of cues which make it almost impossible for me to stay stopped.  One of them is feeling trapped in wherever I am.  When I take the stuff I just don't care and I can find things interesting again.  But it's not real.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Resonate with all the feelings here. I'm 40 days out and all I want to do is refill my prescription. I have a psych follow-up appointment next week to see how things are going without taking concerta. I just want to know how y'all are doing now in 2023. I feel like if people go back to taking their meds they tend not to respond, but just looking for some hope.  

1 hour ago, ALA said:

Resonate with all the feelings here. I'm 40 days out and all I want to do is refill my prescription. I have a psych follow-up appointment next week to see how things are going without taking concerta. I just want to know how y'all are doing now in 2023. I feel like if people go back to taking their meds they tend not to respond, but just looking for some hope.  

40 days is a ton of progress ALA. Great Job!  Revisit all of the troubles that adderall caused for you and hold on to those. Of course going to see you psych you are going to want to tell them how much life sucks right now. Remember your life is supposed to suck right now. You are on a journey back to your true self. A journey toward clarity and fulfillment. I'm 35 days off myself from a long weaning process.  Our brains are healing and will take some time to recuperate. We have to go through some "pain" to reach our goal and that's okay. 

• Like 2

ALA don’t give up!!  It’s going to be painful for awhile because your brain chemistry is all messed up.  It’s going to take time.. do exactly what Jon B said.  Think about all the cons of adderall and why you quit.  For me it was because I wanted to be present with my kids/ family and also want them to have a healthier mom.  The more adderal you give your brain the longer it’s going to take to get to where you want to be.  I don’t feel wonderful but I no longer feel like I need the meds to function. You can do it !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon B said:

Remember your life is supposed to suck right now. You are on a journey back to your true self. A journey toward clarity and fulfillment. 

Thank you for the reminder, Jon B. You sound a lot like my husband who is also John B. You must be a wise soul. :)

• Like 1