QuittingAdderall.com Forums

questions about vitamins

I've been taking magnesium , vitamin e, biotin , fish oil and a multivitamin. does anyone think I'm overdoing it? And I know it varies but what is the typical/recommended daily dose for magnesium?

Also, The dollar store in my town has a selection of vitamins...I know quality matters. should I not even bother?

Kori, Yes quality matters, so the dollar store is probably out. Especially for the fish oil—quality matters. Always check the expiration date on fish oil capsules. They go rancid rather quickly, which you can smell by cutting one open. I use a double encapsulated fish oil capsule because the fish smell repeats on me if I use the regular capsules. They are a Costco variety (Kirkland is Costco's brand name).

I also use a Shaklee brand protein drink with Almond milk or organic rice or soy milk, but you can mix it with water too, if you are concerned about calories. The almond milk is only 60 calories per cup and rice milk is less than that. I believe that protein is an important part of rebuilding our brain function or any human cell, so I make sure I get protein from a shake in case I am not eating meat on any given day. My diet is mostly vegetarian.

I don't think you can over do it with taking too many vitamins, especially during recovery, but I would make my selection based on education or trial and error.

I hope this helps you a little.

Hi Jon,

Do you recommend any other foods? Also I am drinking sleepy time tea at night and taking 5mg melatonin. It doesn't work really. I am currently at the library looking up books on alkaline diets. I know almonds always made me feel better, and the potassium in bananas seemed to help a bit. 

Unfortunately I make less than $10/or (a LOT less). Jobs are scarce around here, especially in my field of "expertise" (haha ;) I would love to go to GNC or another reputable place but I'd have to probably spend my whole paycheck! Should I dump the Dollar store vitamins I got? lol probably... I was also told by my pharmacist to take a B-Complex. 

Have you heard of L-Tyrosine, and if so, what are your thoughts on it? I'd like to get my dopamine levels back up if possible!! Feeling like a zombie!! 

Thanks again Jon, take care my friend.

Hi Jon,

Do you recommend any other foods? Also I am drinking sleepy time tea at night and taking 5mg melatonin. It doesn't work really. I am currently at the library looking up books on alkaline diets. I know almonds always made me feel better, and the potassium in bananas seemed to help a bit. 

Unfortunately I make less than $10/or (a LOT less). Jobs are scarce around here, especially in my field of "expertise" (haha ;) I would love to go to GNC or another reputable place but I'd have to probably spend my whole paycheck! Should I dump the Dollar store vitamins I got? lol probably... I was also told by my pharmacist to take a B-Complex. 

Have you heard of L-Tyrosine, and if so, what are your thoughts on it? I'd like to get my dopamine levels back up if possible!! Feeling like a zombie!! 

Thanks again Jon, take care my friend.

Herbal tea is great. I love chamomile tea. It has a nice relaxing affect. I like the Stash brand of herbal teas. Amazon has them.

I try to balance my PH to Alkaline. Most "modern" foods we eat turn to ACID in the stomach. By adding a teaspoon of vinegar in a glass of water every day you can help switch your PH to alkaline. I use Bragg, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with The 'Mother', Raw-. It only costs $3.50 for 16 ounces. I have gotten so used to it that I add some to all my water containers. I notice a difference and have developed a taste for it, if you can believe it. No more gastric reflux is the most obvious benefit. Keeping an alkaline PH is supposed to have many health values. Research it. You will be surprised by what you find.

I use the L-Tyrosine but it only works for me when I haven't slept for days, due to insomnia, and my body is utterly exhausted. That is in line with studies too, but lots of people on this site recommend it for it's anti-depressant virtues. It is also recommended to take with B-Complex and all on an empty stomach. That part is important.

I wouldn't dump the dollar store vitamins unless they have a binding agent you can't tolorate. I think the fish oil would take top priority.

I am not aware of anything natural that will get your dopamine back to normal levels other then the passage of time. DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is a hormone produced by your body's adrenal glands. These are glands just above your kidneys. Claims say that it can help build your adrenal gland, improve energy, mood and memory. I take a small amount of it , but the claims haven't been substantiated.

I'm sorry to say that feeling like a zombie after quitting a powerful drug like Adderall is considered normal. I still feel that way for the first half of my day or longer, but I'm 59 years old...I will be in December. I think younger folks have a much faster recovery. I am amazed by the exercise routines that are picked up almost immediately after quitting!!! I walk and hike when I can, because I enjoy it, but you won't find me at any club lifting weights or doing crunches. When I start feeling more natural energy, I want to look into yoga. I have done some already and I really like it. 

Energy drinks worked for me initially, but have little or no effect now at 4 months. I had to give up coffee. That was a bit of a shake up for me! I take caffene pills now. 2 100mg pills a day in the AM.

I was juicing greens before quitting, but haven't juiced since I quit. I haven't had the time or energy. I am required to work a lot of overtime. I worked 65 hours this week, for example. I plan to start organic juicing again when conditions are better for me because I believe in it.

In my opinion, time and quality sleep are the best supplements for recovery. Add exercise if you can muster it and eat sensibly.

It appears like there is no end to talking about health and nutrition (Smiling).

• Like 3

The vitamins your taking isnt alot at all. I workout and take way more supplements. And avoid dollar stores lol. I get most of my stuff at gnc and online. If you're just going to dollar store to save money on vitamins, then use the coupons for here at http://www.growingdeals.com/drugstore-com-coupons/ for drugstore.com to get vitamins that are quality and cost about as much as dollar store.

• 3 weeks later...