QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Freedom's Wings,

It's a health supplement: an amino acid.

Check it out for a explanation and unfortunately an advertisment at:

www.5htp.com

I remember taking it a long time ago and it made me too drowsey. I was trying to take it for depression. Maybe I should look at it again for my nights of insomnia, which have improved since the begining of my quit.

Keeping you in my prayers. It will pass.

I had a bout of insomnia last summer and I took it and it helped me to fall asleep and sleep all night.  It is supposed to help your mood too.  It contains melatonin, tryptophan (the protein in turkey meat that makes you sleepy) and phenylalanine (which gets made into serotonin) and some other things.  There was a post in the supplements forum on 5 HTP about a year ago.  You can get it at any supplement shop - I saw it at Whole Foods last weekend.  I bet GNC has it too.

I am glad your insomnia is getting better, Jon.  If you have any 5 HTP left, it might be worth another try at a reduced dosage. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of the I-Pledge challange. I would like to see seperate I-Pledge categories, so that various pledges don't discourage anyone. Maybe each of us will come up with a thread that suits us and maybe others too. Like an I-pledge yoga: I will practice yoga for 5 minutes of light yoga a day. Whereas a more general I-Pledge exercise might be too broad and mix in pledges of 30 pull-ups on M,W,&F with 200 push-ups on T, T & S. (that's you Blesbro :o ).

Ideas:

I-Pledge reading:  for 15 minutes a day.

I-Pledge not watching TV an hour before going to bed.

Anyway, for me all my pledges must be baby pledges, because that's just where I'm at in recovery. I'm just doing some brainstorming here. There are better minds out there that can create something where we can all participate, without feeling less than.

Overall, I think it is a stellar idea for nudging our recoveries along. It makes us an active participant rather than just waiting it out. That being said, there are some things, I believe, where all we can do is wait it out. That's one of my biggest concerns: to push or to rest. We need both.

• Like 3

Sounds gud. It is beautiful to see how we are coming together. Will people be able to join other peoples pledges? For instance, if LuLu does "iPledge: Yoga 15 min daily challange" Can others join if the category is fitting?

Yes. That's the idea, I think. This is a take off on Justin's idea for an I-Pledge Challange.

Justin can you add anything that would make your great idea fun and workable based on the feedback you received so far? You are the idea man!

Well, I can't take credit for the "I Pledge" concept and I'm more of a big picture kind of guy but I'll try to offer some sort of response. First, let me say that you guys are awesome for taking my random mutterings and running with them! Second, I was thinking that having multiple threads will divide the community and not bring it together (but I can see how a certain amount of segregation could help maintain order). I've been mulling this over for a couple of days and the main components that I would like to see are:

Provide a way for self improvement / empowerment that is accessible to any member of our community no matter what stage of recovery they are at

must be a challenge

make the world a better place

allow for honesty and transparency

engage the community for support of those who decide to take up the challenge

OK, maybe I'm completely crass but what do you expect from someone who just spent 4 hours in the woods while it was -17 degrees? Take care of yourself everyone.

• Like 2

Way to go Lunax!

Things for me have been lets just say a struggle, I recently got into a car accident and my work hours have been cut so Im a bit all over right now. Im trying to keep it together one day at a time. I have an appt with the therapist later today. Thank God. When things improve I still have some ideas on creating a new forum so hopefully things turn soon. Well for now I suppose this is my update. I wish everyone blessed and LuLu you keep blazing that trail girlie:-)

• Like 1