QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Binge eating...

lunax

FYI: The enteric nervous system also makes use of more than 30 neurotransmitters, most of which are identical to the ones found in CNS, such as acetylcholine, dopamine, and serotonin. More than 90% of the body's serotonin lies in the gut, as well as about 50% of the body's dopamine, which is currently being studied to further our understanding of its utility in the brain.

Doesn't this sound familiar to what Adderall manipulates and therefore how we can enhance our very healing?

• Like 4

Great tips. I needed to hear that. Im gonna go to a farmers market tomorrow and stock up on good stuff. It's not like I don't know how to eat healthy, it's just that when I feel like pigging out all I can think about are salty cheesy/carby bad foods.

I can relate Lunax!  It's not my normal way of living, but it's just the past few weeks.  I normally eat REALLY healthy but lately I keep craving pizza, pie, ice cream, cookies, etc. and can't seem to stop.    I am hoping that with more protein and more veggies, (which I already eat plenty of, but OK I'll eat more if my body is still hungry), then these cravings will hopefully naturally stop.

Last night my friend was telling me she has an insatiable appetite for sugary/carby/ fatty foods lately too.  We were speculating that maybe it's winter on its way?  Every winter I gain weight, because apparently my body wants to be a bear.  Get really fat then go to sleep for a few months.  Must be nice.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses. I occasionally have these episodes of binge eating which can last anywhere Btwn a few hours to an entire week. I hit my breaking point when I posted this a few days ago but I'm feeling better now. I went shopping for healthy foods this weekend and hit up the gym which I have been paying for for the last two years and not using.

Adderall was great in the sense that I could starve for a couple of weeks then stop taking it and eat like a pig without gaining a significant amount of weight. Now that I'm off, I need to learn how to eat better on a consistent basis. I swear It's like a par time job!

Anyway, thank you all for your support. It's crazy how alike some of us are to one another. You guys are my rock!

• Like 1

The kids insisted on going to a buffet on Friday and Saturday this weekend, so I hear you on the binge eating thing. I know; bad parenting.

Not bad parenting at all. It's nice to treat your kids out as long as it's in moderation. I'm sure you're not pulling into a drive thru restaurant everyday...right? lol

A few years ago I lost about 60 pounds working with a personal trainer. I went from scary obese to chubby, people still stop me at gas stations to tell me I look like Drew Carey.  I developed some healthy eating habits. The 2 biggest rule I live by now is 'Thou shall not eat anything that comes out of a window' , no drive through anything.

• Like 3

FYI: The enteric nervous system also makes use of more than 30 neurotransmitters, most of which are identical to the ones found in CNS, such as acetylcholine, dopamine, and serotonin. More than 90% of the body's serotonin lies in the gut, as well as about 50% of the body's dopamine, which is currently being studied to further our understanding of its utility in the brain.

Doesn't this sound familiar to what Adderall manipulates and therefore how we can enhance our very healing?

Hey everyone,

I started eating only clean foods about a month ago and since then have discovered a noticeable difference in my motivation levels, ability to focus, and my overall feeling of well-being. I have always ate relatively healthy but since I have really cleaned up my diet for bodybuilding reasons, it has been worth it for many other reasons as well. Just a thought for people trying to get back on the right track; I think that eating extremely clean foods and exercising regularly can really make a huge difference in the time recovery takes. If anyone is looking to speed up their recovering I highly recommend regular exercise and a good diet! I don't crave fatty foods or sugar after a month of eating really clean either which is interesting. I think most people have a minor addiction to greasy and sugary foods but if you clean up your diet I'm sure you can easily enjoy those in moderation without going overboard. Keep in mind, the positive benefits are realized by changing your lifestyle not simply by trying to eat healthier. I totally changed my diet and am not planning on going back to my old one ever.

By the way, congrats to Lunax and FW for your guys progress. I know I haven't posted on this thread yet but I have been following it the whole way. Keep up the good work I have faith in you two! Same to you searching soul.

Dillon

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that Blesbro, even if you meant to post it in another forum lol.

I definitely agree that diet and exercise play a huge role in this whole thing. I also notice that when I eat anything too carby early in the morning I have a significantly harder time focusing.

The problem for me is that food is my first addiction. I get into healthy food kicks every few months but I never keep it up. I feel like I constantly relapse...on food! Anyways I'm just taking it one day at time.

• Like 1

Blesbro, how do you define "clean foods"?  Can you give some examples of the clean foods you like to eat?

Hey quit-once,

I am still in the process of researching and finding new good foods and recipes that fit the category of clean foods. Basically clean foods are whole, healthy foods. I am no expert but this is what I have learned to eat in order to help shed fat quickly or gain muscle quickly depending on my current goal. The idea of clean eating is that carbohydrates, fats, and protein are all extremely healthy for you if you get them from a healthy source, in the right quantities, your body will begin recompositioning. The trick to maintaining or losing weight is really getting your required macro-nutrients from healthy sources. I find that if i get my required macros in for the day from all healthy sources, I can eat in a caloric deficit without any cravings or hunger.

For breakfast, scrambled eggs with cheese, salt and pepper, and two slices of multi-grain toast both topped with margarine and jam. This is an easy and super healthy meal. Basically the only other thing I have been eating for breakfast is oatmeal and protein shakes to mix it up. 

For lunch and dinner, grilled chicken breast, some almonds, baked potato with your favorite toppings, rice, noodles, broccoli, sweet potato, turkey sandwich with provolone cheese on multi-grain bread, fish filet, and steak are a few examples. I'm starting to learn that I can transform my body with the help of the science of healthy food.

Thanks for sharing that Blesbro, even if you meant to post it in another forum lol.

I definitely agree that diet and exercise play a huge role in this whole thing. I also notice that when I eat anything too carby early in the morning I have a significantly harder time focusing.

The problem for me is that food is my first addiction. I get into healthy food kicks every few months but I never keep it up. I feel like I constantly relapse...on food! Anyways I'm just taking it one day at time.

Lunax,

Haha it doesn't matter to me what thread, I just meant to say I've been following the 30 day and 60 day challenge the whole way. Anyways, I'm not sure why eating anything too carby makes you unfocused in the morning, but if you naturally aren't hungry in the morning I would recommend just skipping breakfast altogether and eat when you get hungry. I have been skipping breakfast (but still eat 3 large meals) due to this concept called intermittent fasting and have found that I have better focus in the morning without eating! I would really recommend doing some research on intermittent fasting in your case, as I have been "addicted to food" in my life at times and have that found intermittent fasting seriously gave me the ability to control my hunger and cravings. In fact, usually within 30 mins to an hour after a hunger pang/food craving people will feel satisfied. Do what you're comfortable with though because taking it one day at a time is absolutely essential.

Dillon

Blesbro, I just googled clean foods after reading your post and now I have a much better idea of what you mean.  Here is how I understand it:  a clean food is an an orange because it is all natural.  A less clean food is orange juice because it is somewhat processed, and a not clean food is orange jello because it is a mostly artificially flavored (fake) food.  I get it now.  I agree with the concept but eating only clean foods is easier said than done.

Regarding the eating only when hungry, I entirely agree.  Most of my life I have preferred to skip breakfast and eat my first meal of the day around noon.  That became really difficult to do during adderall recovery because my stomach was really twisted from years of abuse.  But, eventuallly, I was able to get back to eating two large meals a day and a late night munchie snack.  I can also tollerate a wider range of foods than I did right after quitting (even if some of them aren't very clean ;) )

• Like 2

Blesbro, I just googled clean foods after reading your post and now I have a much better idea of what you mean.  Here is how I understand it:  a clean food is an an orange because it is all natural.  A less clean food is orange juice because it is somewhat processed, and a not clean food is orange jello because it is a mostly artificially flavored (fake) food.  I get it now.  I agree with the concept but eating only clean foods is easier said than done.

Regarding the eating only when hungry, I entirely agree.  Most of my life I have preferred to skip breakfast and eat my first meal of the day around noon.  That became really difficult to do during adderall recovery because my stomach was really twisted from years of abuse.  But, eventuallly, I was able to get back to eating two large meals a day and a late night munchie snack.  I can also tollerate a wider range of foods than I did right after quitting (even if some of them aren't very clean ;) )

That's exactly correct. A good rule of thumb is that if a caveman could eat it you can too. Of course I still indulge in not so clean foods. 95% of the food I have been consuming has been clean though. Eating clean is easier said than done but after 3 weeks, it becomes habit and become much easier :) I also usually eat between noon and 2pm as my breakfast meal.

• Like 1