QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Binge eating...

lunax

I can totally relate to the binge eating/overeating. and mine are all comfort foods...pizza, a ton of Taco Bell, macaroni, I feel like such A fatass bc once I start eating I can't stop until I'm sick usually. I don't cook a lot but I'm going to try to start cooking for myself more so I'll have healthier foods to eat. I cooked chicken last night so I will have left overs to take to lunch today instead of pigging out at Taco Bell. Need to join a gym too

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a couple tips a friend shared with me that have helped me to lose weight over the years, and for the most part keep it off (my time in adderall addiction stage 7a/b excluded.)  

1) The moment your body starts to feel full, STOP EATING.    (I know, pretty radical advice right? ;)    

The same thing works for beer.  If you don't want to finish it, don't drink it! 

2) Whenever I'm tempted to overeat, my mantra is "It doesn't feel nice!"  I repeat it over and over.  Overeating feels horrible!!  

Really, these two tips have become part of my daily life.  I used to overeat a lot more often, and for reasons other than hunger (like depression or boredom), when I was younger.   But now I'm pretty balanced, just by these tips (and running).  Portion control is KEY.   :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I know exactly what you mean!

This may be the mood swings...but at the moment I find the insatiable appetite i had two days ago a little funny. just picturing my behavior is nuts...and if i dont laugh a little bit at it then ill dwell on it FOREVER and HATE myself and jump on the self pity band wagon. 

here was my appetite this week. quit 7 days ago (cold turkey)...

day 1- ate pretty much nothing

day 2- same

day 3- protein shakes and vegan veggie supplement shake/drink

day 4- a quart of ice cream (BY MYSELF!), a pizza, toast, toast again with peanut butter, spaghetti, more ice cream, a whole mango, cinnamon rolls, chips, and i was STILL hungry at the end!! lol i felt like dave chappelle in half baked. talk about being erratic!

day 5- protein shake

day 6- chinese food

day 7- now- typing out my diet this past week has made me realize how disgusting and unhealthy this is and even though i havent gained any weight i am certainly headed in that direction. and honestly, i could stand to gain a couple pounds at this point. id rather be healthy and have my curves back!

its a miracle i woke up with a pillow lol i swear on day 4 i wanted it to be made of marshallows

I know we don't want to stop and weigh out the consequences when we're amidst all of these feelings. Feeling like we're starving...malnourished...deprived...then the ups and downs/crashes of carbs and sugar. we just want to feel good. no matter what. but if you can just stop yourself for a moment and think "is this really beneficial? am i trading one addiction for another?" you can..thought by thought..start to regain control over your actions.

right now it feels like i am not sitting in the drivers seat of my own life. and you must feel this way too, im sure. it all starts with our thoughts. the more we introduce rational thinking, the more we start to "come alive" again. its like adderall numbed us out so bad that we werent even in control of our own thoughts. the power lies within you to change. you are more powerful than you even realize. isn't that kind of exciting? if you continue on this path of abstinence, you will discover just how powerful and strong you really are.

the longer youre off it, the more you will stabilize, in every way: spirtutally, mentally, physically, etc. Just try to gain control over what you choose to eat by focusing on moderation. no one forces you to eat- we all choose what we consume and what we don't consume. with each choice you can gain control and before you know it, it wont be so much work, but a lifestyle.

• Like 1

day 4- a quart of ice cream (BY MYSELF!), a pizza, toast, toast again with peanut butter, spaghetti, more ice cream, a whole mango, cinnamon rolls, chips, and i was STILL hungry at the end!! lol i felt like dave chappelle in half baked. talk about being erratic!

day 7- now- typing out my diet this past week has made me realize how disgusting and unhealthy this is and even though i havent gained any weight i am certainly headed in that direction. and honestly, i could stand to gain a couple pounds at this point. id rather be healthy and have my curves back!

Day 4 - Funions rule!

Day 7 - So do curves!

• Like 1

"Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s'mores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons"

"And what was that thing we used to eat back in the day?"

Sorry, but that is one of my favorite all time movies, up there with Super Troopers, Office Space, and Idiocracy

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you all for your responses. I occasionally have these episodes of binge eating which can last anywhere Btwn a few hours to an entire week. I hit my breaking point when I posted this a few days ago but I'm feeling better now. I went shopping for healthy foods this weekend and hit up the gym which I have been paying for for the last two years and not using.

Adderall was great in the sense that I could starve for a couple of weeks then stop taking it and eat like a pig without gaining a significant amount of weight. Now that I'm off, I need to learn how to eat better on a consistent basis. I swear It's like a par time job!

Anyway, thank you all for your support. It's crazy how alike some of us are to one another. You guys are my rock!

Lunax,

Not sure if you still frequent this site anymore, but I can totally relate to what you said here.  I basically used adderall as a way to control my weight.  I was able to pop a pill and eat *just one* cookie.  I ate like a bird.  Now, off adderall, if someone puts a cookie in front of me, I need to eat an entire tray.  I don't have as much willpower, but that's something I need to learn to do now that I'm off drugs.  I loved using adderall to binge eat for a day, and then have a week gauranteed where I wouldn't need to eat.  It was just so easy to keep up my body.  That's the thing I miss most about adderall, is the weight maintenance. 

Eating disorders and addiction go hand-in-hand because eating disorders *are* an addiction.  Also, not sure if you've heard this before, but women with ADHD are more prone to eating disorders because of the impulsivity that comes with ADHD.  So, double whammy.  Also, the FDA just approved Vyvanse to use in Binge Eating Disorders.

I guess bottom line is: we have a lot of obstacles to overcome, and a lot of things to re-learn (like how to eat healthy and exercise and stave off binges and not give-in to cravings), but it's doable.  We can do it!  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...