QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Long term side effects of Adderall

Whittering

Freespirit, you got this. The list of really wierd health problems from adderall abuse is a long one. Most of the problems are not listed as "official" side effects because they only consider "prescribed" dosages when making that list. My best friend got MRSA in a sensitive and critical area of his body. Took the antibiotics and cured it; continued taking adderall and it came back a second time. Still didn't quit adderall, until he went into psychosis and that scared him straight. Sometimes it takes a really bad health event to prompt change. I believe that you believe adderall caused your Lupus and I agree 100%. Fuck, I don't even know what Lupus is but it can't be good. I wish you the best of luck and success with quitting.

• 4 months later...

On Adderall I've developed a really disgusting disease called Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS)--which is a skin disease that affects parts of your body bearing apocrine sweat glands or sebaceous glands (in my case it’s in the arm pits--ugh!) basically causing permanent abscesses and then lesions in the afflicted area … The disease is not contagious and is NOT caused by poor hygiene (I personally am one of the cleanest person’s I know [at least with the Adderall]) … After well into developing the HS I started suspecting that Adderall had something to do with … At first I thought WTF is going on! Then I did some research and found out about HS … I’ve always had very sensitive skin and skin problems—though you wouldn’t necessarily know it to look at me … In adulthood I’ve developed, I’d say, an above average level of body hair for males … The thing that really got me suspecting the Adderall was knowing that it caused me hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) … one of the speculative causes of HS (since no one knows for sure what causes it) is excessive sweating …

• Like 1

I was reading this post and decided to register so I could reply. I've been working myself off of adderall. I'm sure there are plenty of side effects related to how the brain works, but I learned that the adderall was actually covering up poor health and poor diet for years! Things got so bad even with the adderall, that I had to do something. Doctors were making me worse. I finally went to a functional medicine doctor and have been cleaning up my system. I learned what a truely healthy diet actually is. I found out my brain was starving for nutrition as was the rest of my body, allowing all kinds of bad things to take hold. My chronic fatigue included reduced thyroid function (doctors seem to only know diseased vs. healthy and have no idea of the range of function so many of us continue to suffer), adrenal fatigue, and lots of infection from a weakened immune system.

I'm here, a year later much healthier. When I started, I was taking 60mg adderall XR in the morning, 15mg in the afternoon and had added wellbutrin a year before this (another stimulant.) Naturally, I've been working to get off the adderall. I'm now down to like 3 30mg pills which I only take on the days I work out with my trainer. I feel great the days I take them, but not so great on the other days. My doctor retired and I don't really want to go to a new doctor (I'm without insurance now) or spend more money on medication. I'm thinking of breaking down the capsules I have left into multiple capsules. I've even learned that when I eat is important to recovery. Vegetable juicing is awesome for healing too.

I'll make a post later with more details of my story. I just wanted to point out that it is just withdrawl of the amphetamine - it is also the uncovering of the health problems the amphetamines were disguising that make getting off them a journey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Adderall I've developed a really disgusting disease called Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS)-

From what I've read, this condition is like so many others. It is caused by diet. GMOs are more and more prevalent and food is becoming less and less nutritious. Additionally, food companies are lying to us about what is good for us. I bed a good functional medicine doctor could help you overcome this. If you can't afford that, then think about following a paleo diet or something like that. Organic foods (you can read about which foods are important to eat only organic, etc.) and avoiding processed foods will help a great deal, I'm sure. Omega 3 fats are important as are all healthy fats (extra virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and other cold pressed, unprocessed oils.) There is a lot to learn online about such things.

Midwestmad,

Check out the forum on supplements and I think there is a really good discussion thread on "food". We kept adding tidbits to it for a couple of months or so last winter. I happen to agree with you that it is all about eating good wholesome unprocessed food. I am a big fan of eating paleo and growing my own food.