QuittingAdderall.com Forums

What to do at work?

IJustWannaBeMe

Hello everyone :)

I'm new.  This is my first post and this is also my first day without adderall in my journey to quit it forever.

I have a lot of worries about the coming weeks and months but my main concern right now is how this is going to impact me at my job.

Having gone short periods before I know what it's going to be like (at least at first).  I know I'm going to be next to useless at work.  I'm afraid I'm going to get in trouble at my job, or get called out or questioned, or that coworkers will get annoyed with me or that they will question what the hell is going on with me or that I'll maybe even get fired... help!?

No one I work with knows I take adderall.  I'm a recent college grad, I'm the youngest person at my job, and I've only been at it for 4 months.  I don't feel comfortable at all sharing with my coworkers that I take adderall (even though I technically am diagnosed with ADHD and am prescribed it) and I certainly don't feel comfortable explaining to them that I am quitting it.  I don't feel comfortable telling my boss either.

I don't know what to do.

I am going to just try and sleep all day until work and go to bed right after work, and I suppose drink a ton of coffee but I just don't think that will be enough...

Does anyone have any suggestions or any personal experiences with this they can relate?

I'm nervous and dreading it...

Thanks

-A

Can you describe your job? I can probably give you tips because this was my biggest hang-up during the quitting process. It took me about a year to get used to working without it, but I managed not to get fired. People won't notice your performance dip as much as you think. It's mostly in your head, mentally adjusting to a completely different style of working and getting used to time moving at a slower pace. It feels really awkward and uncomfortable for awhile.

• Like 1

Congrats on your decision to quit and welcome to the forums.

Nobody you work with needs to know that you took (not take) Adderall.  The symptoms of Adderall withdrawal and influenza are pretty similar, so it is not a big stretch to say you have the flu if you just can't function at work.  That should be good for a few days off to begin your recovery.  And if you still feel out of sorts by the time you have to go back to work, well, that was a really bad case of the flu and it knocked the hell out of you.  Just showing up and trying to do your job will be good enough.  They have only known you for a few months so anything is possible.

If you really need chemical energy, caffeine will likely be your best friend.  Really.  Anything that is not a hardcore stimulant drug will help you through the times of low energy and low brain power.  Do Whatever it takes to stay off all stimulant drugs.  Do you have a long term plan for quitting?  Do you have pills stashed?  Are you willing to sever your supply channel?  Are there consequences if you relapse? 

Good luck and I wish you much success in your quitting endeavor! 

• Like 2

Congrats! Welcome!

I would recommend you read some of the articles on the site that have to do with developing healthy work habits. Also this a great time to start going to the gym or some form of exercise.  You may want to participate in the 30 day challenge thread. I'm almost seven months sober and while difficult at times this process is worth while.  Please post often and let us know how you are doing.

thank you all who replied!  i ended up taking my second to last pill yesterday for work because i felt totally helpless, totally dead and useless, n hadn't planned at all so i decided to just take it and save my last one for my double shift today.  somehow miraculously though i worked a full 16 hrs today and running on only 3 hrs of sleep and i didn't take it!  I was going to save it for halfway through but just kind of kept putting it off and i made it through the whole day and was pretty well functioning (considering the circumstances anyway...).  I think a minor miracle occurred. i hope i never have to take that last pill.  

so, day one down :)

• Like 2

Good for you in your decision to quit!  Learning how to be a productive worker again is a difficult process.  I had this article printed out and posted in my office for about 6 mos.  http://quittingadderall.com/regenerative-breaking-how-to-slack-off-productively/

Maybe it will help you too?

I re-read this article today Justin and think that it applies to me. Thank you for posting it. I need to be less lazy to create more energy.