QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Runners Club - NEW

Greg

Ashley, that's great you're doing all those races. That's definitely a good way to be accountable! I signed up for a half marathon in May for the same reason. I got 12 miles in last week but two of them, yesterday, were walking because I was SO SORE from stacking a cord of wood on Saturday.

• Like 2

ice is really preventing from walking. I am going to Canadian Tire  to get some ice skates. I haven't been skating since I was 12 years old wish me luck.  

LOL, I had been considering ice skates too!   I got some cheap stabilizers I just tried out.  They are pretty helpful on ice.... as long as it's not tooo icy/slippery.  You can also get higher quality similar products like mini crampons depending on your budget.  

ANYWAYS, Check in Sunday!!!  I'm finally happy to post this time!

Running: 12.7 miles total.  2 of these were on the treadmill, the rest were outside :)

Rowing machine: 4.5 miles

Hardcore ladder/climbing machine: 5300 vertical feet/ virtual elevation gain total.

Planks: 3 or 4 days I remembered to do about 2 minutes each time

Worked out a total of 4 days this week :)  Hooray! I feel so much better about myself!!

How did everyone else do?!

• Like 4

Daaaaang, occasional! You seriously brought it this week. Awesome! I ran 4 again. This week I'm going to have to run outside a time or two (I haven't ever run in this cold, I don't think), and the 5K is Saturday. Hopefully I'll get some more miles on the board next week!!!

InRecovery, just saw your post. You two rocked it!

• Like 3

Check-in Sunday!!  How did Team Quitters do this week?!?!   (LOL, Also, can we please meet up for a 10k or team-based run race or something someday?!  :D )

Anyways, second week in a row I made the goal!  Yay! :)

Running: 12.9 miles.  4.1 of these were on the treadmill.  (BTW, I injured the outside of my foot on the treadmill and I now officially hate the treadmill more than ever!!!!  I was sprinting hard to make the most of my measly 20 minutes before I got kicked off, and I guess I wasn't paying much attention to my form because all of a sudden I was in SERIOUS pain.  Luckily, taking a couple days off, rest, heat, ice, anti-inflammatories, and HOPE that it's not a stress fracture (I'm now pretty sure it's not) got me back running, outside, with almost no pain for the weekend!) 

Ladder machine: 3300 feet elevation gain / 38 minutes

Rowing machine: 5 miles total

Planks: 3 days this week, a little over 2 minutes each time.  Sides and front.

Sit ups: Did 50 yesterday.  Super sore today.

Push ups:  20 yesterday, on the push up bars. Gotta get back on that!  :)

• Like 3

Very nice, occasional!!!

I got in 7 this week....3 of it being that 5K yesterday. It was like 23 degrees and snowing, but I really liked it! It made me realize running in the cold isn't so bad! I plan on doing more formal runs. There's something great about the atmosphere and being around people with the same goal...really motivational!

• Like 4

Good job you all! I got in zero miles this week. I caught a cold and have been overstressed with all my classes. I took the easy classes last semester and all the hard ones are this semester...the PAWS has been really, really bad. Also, at work I had a nightmare of a boss come in, who was -- a total nightmare and made my life miserable. Really, Really bad. But her bosses couldn't take her anymore and she was fired!  :(  Thank goodness. So some things are improving. 

Well hopefully Ill get in miles this week! 

(Yes, Occasional, we all need to do a 10K together absolutely!!)

• Like 1

Hey guys! Sorry I'm a day late...

monday - ran 5 miles
tuesday - bikram yoga (1 & 1/2hr.)
wednesday - rest day
thursday - ran 2 miles and bikram yoga (1 & 1/2hr.)
friday - rest day
saturday - bikram yoga (1 & 1/2hr.)
sunday (today) - rest day because I was hungover. oops and I had a "cheat day" off my healthy/clean eating. I ate pizza and ice cream and IT WAS AMAZING.

Great job everyone, keep up the good work!!!

• Like 2

Tips for running in the cold?

Seems like the bitter cold has held a lot of us back this winter.  I know it's held me back all winter and I'm only now really pushing myself to brave the cold.  I just forced myself to run 4.2 miles in 18 degrees F.   Glad I did but wow that was REALLY COLD.

Anyone have good tips for running in the winter?

Here are things that help me...... I'd be curious if any of you have other tricks or ideas.

• Wearing hardcore outdoor clothing meant for winter.   NO COTTON.  Base layers, at least 2 of them.  I often wear a long sleeved thick skiing base layer.  A layer or 2 of fleece over this, and a windbreaker type garment on top.  Down vest.  Thick fleece tights, maybe with pants over them.  
  • Moisturizer on any exposed skin. A really good thick moisturizer. Even coconut oil.  This helps protect your face etc from the wind.   (I just can't bring myself to get a ski mask......)
  • When I step outside I remind myself that it's normal/good to be somewhat cold at first, because I'll warm up. Just get moving and keep moving! 
  • Cheap stabilizers to give my shoes extra traction when it's icy/snowy
  • Soup or other hot food when you come home!  And I like to turn the heat up before heading out.
  • Know when it's too cold to be safe outside.  (Frostbite within 30 minutes?  3 degrees with a wind chill?--NO THANKS!!)   :)
  • Like 2