QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Runners Club - NEW

Greg

Your pep talk is greatly appreciated, occasional. Seriously, it means a lot....and I think I needed it. I'll be a nervous wreck, but I've got to start somewhere. Interestingly enough, this interview is at the addiction rehab that I almost checked myself into when I decided I was ready to quit. I haven't decided if I would want to work in the addiction field, but I guess that's why we interview. Ughhhh.....I do not like interviews!!!

InRecovery,

Congratulations on the internship offer! Yes! I'm totally up for 3-5 a day! From what I've done so far, it doesn't seem like it would actually be too overwhelming to do, so I say Monday-Friday we do 3-5 daily. Great job on the miles! I'm at 0!!! Apparently I need to work on finding balance with all of this going on....or maybe that's an excuse....yeah, probably.

• Like 4

Ashley, WOW that sounds really intense.  I'm not sure I could handle working at a rehab place or in the addiction field..... On the other hand, you probably have even more to offer, and could be more helpful, as someone who's been through it..... I guess you'll find out at the interview right?  

Congrats on the offer InRecovery!!!!!!

OK check in Sunday.  I procrastinated this week!  Friday and Saturday I ran 6 miles total, plus 20 mins of rowing (4k) and 20 minutes of basically running on the stairmaster (climbed 145 floors.)    Some planks and push ups too.

Hmmmm..... To run 6 miles in the freezing cold tonight as I had planned, or to rest and save it for an even more freezing day/evening this week?  Decisions, decisions......  I'm going to just call it a week.  

Anyway, I have to sit still so much for my job, I realized today that working is a great running recovery time.  It helps me feel better and less fidgety while sitting still for hours on end. :)

• Like 2

Ashley,

I think you would be awesome in the addiction and recovery field.  It is an emerging science and Addiction Medicine has only been recognized as a field of study in medical school for a year or so.  Get in on the ground floor and you could go far.  Don't forget about that gig you did last year with the high school kids as part of your class or volunteer effort.  Also don't forget about all the progress you made in your public speaking class.    Too bad you can't use all of us as references, including our screen names, at Quitting Adderall.  Good Luck!

• Like 3

Ashley congratulations and thank u guys for the congrats. Ashley I'm so glad u are also up for the 3-5 a day.

I was surprised that I got it because it was my first interview. The internship was for marketing internship at a healthcare company and I am flexible between a career in marketing and finance or honestly anything interesting that comes my way. I have decided to turn it down for various reasons. So now I am at square zero and I hate it. But this is a marathon not a race and I told MFA so many times the average job search takes 8 months,

I am so thankful for the other thread we started because there is no way I would have touched the job search if it weren't for that thread. But today I forced myself to spend sometime doing it. I submitted some resumes, and read up on how to use linked in, how to find job openings and networking letters and informational interviews. All stuff I had totally forgotten about. For me job search equals anxiety and a feeling of ugh.. But the other thread will force me to do this and makes it feel more like a slow and steady course . Lol.

Ashley, what do you think about a career in addiction counseling?

• Like 2

It's nice to hear your feedback, InRecovery, occasional, and quit-once! I have been interested in addiction even before I realized I was an addict. I did an internship in a halfway house for women trying to stay sober, and it was so interesting! I had access to their entire files, reading about their background and histories, children, criminal history, etc. It was sometimes sad, but at the same time, was such an experience learning about those women's lives.

Anyway, I was also on adderall then, so I don't know if I would have the same perspective now. I'm getting reallllly nervous for the interview. To be honest, it's not about wanting the job, it's about hating interviewing and talking about myself.

What are some questions you all have gotten? This really will be my first real job interview. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, friends!!!

• Like 2

Ashley,

I've interviewed and hired a ton of people in my life, and the main things I've always looked for were:

1) Good attitude/enthusiasm for position

2) Resourcefulness - especially in the ability to solve problems and learn/find answers on their own

3) Computer skills! It's amazing how many people I hired ended up having crappy computer skills - I don't have time to teach you how to copy and paste, arrgh!

So, main things are just to have a good attitude, express interest, and tout your ability to learn and adapt to change. You want to focus on how you're going to benefit the company (with your resourcefulness, good attitude and adaptability!), and don't overtalk! Keep your answers short and to the point. Good interviews are like casual conversations, so no need to be nervous. If it's uncomfortable because the interviewer is just reading generic questions of a sheet of paper and writing down your answers, it means they're a bad interviewer! People that know what they're doing keep it casual like a regular conversation.

Also, the more you interview, the better you'll get at it! You'll have all your answers down pat like a professional. Google 'common interview questions' and prepare a little. Have like 2 or 3 scenarios ready in case they ask behavioral questions such as 'tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a customer and how you resolved it.. blah blah blah.' You can take the same 2 or 3 situations and spin a few angles. Good luck! :)

• Like 3

Hey Ashley, you will do great! Just think of it like practice.  I would google basic interview questions.  Read any information about the company online. 

They may ask you about your background or accomplishments (Maybe have a couple examples ready to go).   

Strengths and weaknesses is such a typical question that I would have a couple ideas about what to say for that. I actually didnt get that in my interview but that was the one question I prepared for..  

Get there early, dress professionally, have a couple copies of your resume. Keep it conversational, be a good fit.   :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

So many great tips from IR and Cassie, I can't really add much to the list.   But I just want to piggyback a little bit here.....

Read any information about the company online. 

Agreed!  On this note, I've been asked every time, and in several different lines of work, why I want to work for x company.  So in addition to reading up about it, think about why you want to be there (based on what you find out online) and be ready to talk about it.

Don't forget to come up with some good questions for them!

I've been told (and I think it's true) that interviewers want to get a sense of your personality. (Part of the casual conversation thing.)   It's the ineffable things that help them figure out if you'd be a good fit and if you'd be someone they want to work with.  So as cheesy it sounds, be confident, and be YOU.  (I know my nervousness/anxiety sometimes closes me off from being my real self, so if you can avoid that, you'll be a lot better off.)

When they ask you about your strengths and weaknesses, you might want to try framing your "weaknesses" as potential strengths, and as things you're working on.  But also stay honest.   (Someone once advised me to say my weakness was that I'm "too organized/neat/ and a clean freak."  But that's such a blatant lie, I couldn't actually say it.... You get the idea though.)

I've helped with a few interviews in the past, and I remember a few things being major dealbreakers (these are extreme examples I know you wouldn't do anyway, but worth sharing I think):  One guy used every chance he had to talk about his religion and prosthelytizing activities, and he just rambled on and on and on and got really off topic.  So don't ramble, mix up your responses, and unless this is a religious place I'd keep religion in the background.    Also, and this one is really obvious, I helped interview a lady who wore a horrifyingly low V-neck shirt that showed her cleavage.   All 3 interviewers, myself included, knew that she wasn't a good fit from the moment she walked in the door.  

OK and on a workout-related note......

Is anyone here a morning workout person?  If so, what's your secret?  I'm thinking of making the switch.  

I became an evening workout person when I was on adderall; I would run off the comedown.  

So now, workouts still signify the end of the day and the end of work for me.  My bodily memory always makes me really tired after a good workout.  But some people say morning workouts energize them and get the blood flowing, and are great to get your mind going before studying.

I tend to work out REALLY hard, so that might be part of it.  But I'm not about to stop that!  I'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts or tips on this.......

I also realized it's a good way to motivate me to go to campus early, workout when it's relatively empty, then go to the library.  Rather than starting right into hardcore work.   I keep hearing how important it is to schedule different activities according to your body's clock.  But maybe it's time to switch it up.

Tuesdays are usually really hard for me, unscheduled and kind of PAWSy.  So today I went to the gym first thing in the morning.  Ran 4 miles, rowed 3.5k, did 39 push ups and 2:30 of planks.   Was pretty exhausted afterwards, but eventually and oh so slowly, with food and coffee and lots of breaks, I started settling into work.   This might be the new Tues/Thurs schedule for me.... Does anyone know if it gets easier to function after a morning workout?

Thanks friends! :)

• Like 2

I wish I was a morning workout person. It's still really hard for me. I have more energy later in the day and the run/workout feels easier and more fun. Plus, it's so hard to force yourself out of bed early to go work out. I've just accepted that my body's clock is more primed for afternoon/evening exercise. But I do it occasionally, and it does give me an accomplished feeling for the rest of the day. And some people say it gets easier if you make it a habit.

• Like 1

Occasional, I did the morning workout thing a for maybe a week. but I am definitely a late afternoon/early evening or evening workout person. But i would think it would be a great thing to get into, and it will get your blood pumping for the rest of the day!

• Like 1

I don't know what's happened to me. Running has seemed like an insurmountable task lately. I'll think "I really need to go get my miles," then I don't. I guess it's simply laziness and there's only one cure....just doing it. I spend more time mad at myself for not going then it would take to go run. I've got to get out of this rut. I'm kind of just thinking out loud....but I'm also committing to going for a run tomorrow. That means I have to do it.

Oh yeah, and I stepped on the scale the other day to see I weigh more now than I ever have, so there's that. Ahhhh.

Hey Ashley!  Good to hear from you as well!  I did read a bunch of the posts, but was having a hard time trying to figure out exactly what the position was...addiction therapy intern or something like that?  I always wanted to get into the field, but have just stayed with my current job for now.  Sounds like it would be an awesome career field though.

I haven't been on the board in so long because I got really down when I moved back to Ohio.  I have been spoiled by outdoor weather in t-shirts year round. I got back here and a week later it started snowing. I've been trapped working from home in my apartment for 4 months and just feeling ANGRY at the world.  I just felt so sad I gave up Texas I didn't know what to do on top of seeing my 2 ex's, old friends, etc.

ANYHOW, I'm doing better now and really miss talking to everyone.

I am going to spinning class in the morning with my mom.  Need to start exercising again.  Half marathon May 2nd in Columbus.  I am at square one right now.  You should sign up and run it with me!  :)

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  Good to hear from you as well. :) 

I never really "joined the club" on here before so today I am officially signing up! 

Goal for this week:  15 miles

InRecovery, I love the strategy about running just one mile. I do this a lot, but will sometimes just say, "10 mins of cardio at the gym."  It works like a charm!

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  Good to hear from you as well. :)

I never really "joined the club" on here before so today I am officially signing up! 

Goal for this week:  15 miles

InRecovery, I love the strategy about running just one mile. I do this a lot, but will sometimes just say, "10 mins of cardio at the gym."  It works like a charm!

awesome liltex!!! glad to have u on board! i am only at 5 miles for the week. 

I will go for another "one" mile run today (hopefully I will actually run 7 so I can make it to 12)

• Like 2

Hey Liltex, I'm doing a half marathon in May too! Mine's May 18. I've been on and off with hitting 12 miles a week the past few months due to lots of work travel, but can't really use that as an excuse anymore as I've got to start "training."

• Like 3