QuittingAdderall.com Forums

12 Miles a Week Runners Club - NEW

Greg

I did and thanks for asking Liltex… DAMN 26 miles last week, that is incredible. Your inspiring me to get my ass in gear and get on my Nike kicks and start hardcore running this week! I'm in FL now and not really feelin' the hot yoga while it's mid 80s outside lol

Does anyone else on here get really bad shin splints and calf cramps while running? I do and I use icy hot and this little balance machine you put your foot in and I stretch before... but it never seems to work, any recommendations? Sometimes I have to stop running because it hurts so bad. Thanks!

• Like 2

SweetCaroline I think u need NEW SHOES. I had terrible running problems with my feet, my knees all that. I iced my knees every night and my feet. And I wore knee braces. And I didnt know what was wrong until i realized it was my shoes. They have to be replaced. I splurged a real good pair and all my problems went away like that.

• Like 3

Great job everyone! 

Ashley,

Where is that motivation girl? lol  Come on now!

InRecovery,

WHOOO HOOO!!!  So proud of you!!  Way to go!!

Sweet Caroline, 

I think the best cure for any injury is yes I hate to say it, but REST.  OR anything that is non impacting like swimming, biking, etc.  I know for myself I was really struggling after this weeks 11 miler.  I did WAY too much too soon and now my body is yelling at me.  I biked yesterday and taking today off completely. 

I actually got the pleasure of running with Bart Yasso on Saturday (inventor of the Yasso 800's and one of chief execs of runners world) and so I asked him.....how many marathons have you done....@ 200.   He's been running since he was 22 and is now 59 and never suffered any major injuries.  And then I asked....and how have managed to stay injury free all this time...and his response.. "Listen to your body."  GENIUS!!!  LOL  This is so true for everything in life I swear!

Ok, I gotta get back to work. 

Tomorrow, I am back at it.  Stay strong my friends!  Just keep running!

• Like 3

InRecovery,

I can attest to the yasso 800's.  I did them back when I ran my first marathon in 2002.  My goal was to run a 3:30 marathon so I did the 800's at 3:30 pace during my training (along with other speedwork as well), but ended up running a 3:24 marathon.  They work! :)

Hey guys,

GREAT job this week everyone :) Ashley, hows the new job going lady!?

I'm a day late but I had work last night and thanks for all your answers.

I've gotten really bad shin splints and calf cramps all my life, every time I run but I love running and push threw it every time and I do space out my runs every 2-3 days. It hurts like a bitch the day after thow. I remember back in HS I was a runner (but not on the track team, just personal) and I got them then too.

I definitely want to do a half marathon and then a full one, it's on my bucket list and I would definitely like to do more than one of each. The longest I've run without stopping for anything is 10 miles on the beach so I know a half marathon is definitely doable! My dad was a marathon runner and run as exercise 5 miles 4-5 times a week up until he fell off our roof 4 years ago putting up Christmas lights, he broke both his ankles. My poor pops! He can walk and swim and use the stair master, he just can't run anymore. I guess it's in my blood.

Monday - 3.69 miles
Wednesday - 2.5 miles
Yesterday (Sunday) - 4.76
= 10.95 miles this week

And Thursday was the last day I took my Zoloft… I went from 75mg to 50mg for a week then 25mg for 1 day then just stopped and I've felt okay so far. I think the bad (side efforts) have started outweighing the good. I've been experiencing blurred version, nonstop hunger, weight gain, laziness, so sleepy all the time, etc. Don't get me wrong, in the beginning it worked AMAZINGLY but in the beginning (when I started it in Oct.) I was also still on Vyvanse -- which I think, mixed with drinking is what caused the hardcore depression, panic attacks and bad anxiety. Today, my head really hurts and I kind of feel like I got hit by a bus. I have work tomorrow night so hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and can try to get a run in. I just can't wait to have this shit out of my system.

• Like 2

You guys are doing great. I hear you...I need to get my shit together! Liltex, that's a cool story! I'll have to look him up sometime.

Sweetcarolinee,

Work is going well, but today kicked my butt! Today I worked from 7:45-6. It's probably not a big deal for most people, but it's a big adjustment for me. It's 8:30, and I'm like ready for bed! How is your new job going?

• Like 2

Good job everyone! I've been out of the loop... went on vacation and totally slacked on running. My half marathon is exactly one month from today on May 18. So far this week I'm at 7.5 and hope/plan to get in a 10 mile and 6 mile run this weekend.

• Like 3

Cat I use that strategy too!!!  It's the best!  Huge long loops and out-and-backs in the woods.

I found a new favorite route and ran it this week for the 2nd time.  It's 7.5 miles out and back, but it climbs a mountain very gradually, like 1000' elevation gain, and downhill the whole way back.  

I'm excited to start upping my mileage!  I'm so close to being able to run half-marathon lengths regularly, I just need that extra push.  

I'm at 12ish for this week but probably going to edit later because I need to run today :)

EDIT: Let's make that 17ish for this week!  What a gorgeous day!

• Like 3

Check in Sunday all-

Great job Occasional!!! I made it to 12 this week.  I cant run as much outside and Im not sure why. I think Ashley made me think this way, lol.(kidding Ashley!)  If im crunched for time and I need my 12, I head straight to the treadmill because i know that's where i will realistically get it done.  If i have tons of time, then I can do it around the track..

The strategy you guys are doing though makes a lot of sense. KEEP IT UP!!!

(Now Im about to consume all the calories i burned + more at The Cheesecake Factory tonight!)

• Like 3

Great job everyone!  You guys are ROCKING it!

I wanted to post my success and say that as of yesterday I've completed my 30 day challenge of getting back in shape.  I got up to a 12.5 mile run yesterday and totally stoked for my 2 back to back half marathon's in 2 weeks (sat/sun).  Crazy, lol!  I'm totally walking/running the 2nd one though.

Also, I bit the bullet and signed up for another half ironman in September.  I can't believe I signed up for yet another one of these races, but my friend is doing it and of course how could I let her do her first one without being there with her to slap high fives at the finish line.  Secretly, I really excited though.  These races make me feel excited about life for some reason.  Anyhow, just wanted to share.  Hoping, I can get someone from this website to join the band wagon someday.  ;)

• Like 3