QuittingAdderall.com Forums

20 Months Later

Kathleen

Anxiety is still sometimes an issue with me. I am currently taking Wellbutrin and kolonpin(only for panic attacks)..and I have seen great results. Zerokewl, stick with it...I call the months you're going through..the "struggle".....but after awhile....Adderall use becomes a nightmare from the past...and motivation...it comes naturally. It was hard, I am not going to lie...but I also had situations all around me that were stressful. After addy, I went through a terrible breakup, I was living in my grandmothers basement, I couldn't focus at work..and I was deeply depressed.

You can do this. I know you can:)

• Like 2

Thanks I plan on sticking with it. I too had a breakup early on and know depression all to well. The last few months I've been able to crawl out it.  Adderall destroyed everything in my life,so I am building a new life now. Though I struggle I am grateful for this opportunity to start again.    Stories like yours give me a immense amount of hope.  

• Like 2

Zerokewl, you've already started a new life by putting down the Adderall. That was BITCH for me...I was obsessed with my weight, that "euphoric" buzz, and how I felt so grandiose while on the drug. Once I let it go...and my body started feeling replenished with food, thought, sleep and yoga....I started feeling things again. The depression was painful, but I think the Adderall had been a blanket on it the whole time...basically I was covering up issues with drug use. I went to my doctor and cried and said that I just wanted to feel like there was light again and I was at the end of my rope. That's when I decided to start taking Wellbutrin..which also helped me with quitting cigs. I haven't smoked them since I quit adderall--I associate them with Adderall.

My Dad is a Pharmacist in the military. From day 1 of my Adderall journey--he was terrified...didn't want to see his daughter become a victim of amphetamine abuse. There's really just no winning with Adderall. You get to a point where you have to start taking a higher dose, sometimes you can feel it, sometimes you can't...and you start to become some person that is oddly motivated to do random things from a drug. I am rooting for all of you. I still struggle sometimes with the idea of how skinny I was and how I liked that--but it wasn't normal--it isn't normal.

JustinW, Thank you for your nice comment. There is hope for everyone in these forums. It just takes the desire to want a positive change. My heart is with you all. :)

• Like 3

Hi, Kathleen-

I remember that you and Ashley quit around the same time and I often wondered how you were doing.  I am so glad to hear from you again and that you are doing well.  You just said a couple of things that I completely agree with.  Adderall does mask depression and that is what I used it for too.  What I didn't realize, while using, was that it actually made my depression much worse by going up and down with my dosages.  Congrats for kicking the cigs.  I, too, kicked the cigs about the same as quitting Adderall and I believe that was actually the easiest time to make those big, life-long lifestyle changes.  I too associate Adderall with cigs and having them coupled in my mind creates the slippery slope starting with either drug which could lead to a full blown relapse if I fucked up and did either one of them.  Cigs can cloud your mind with poor judgment.  Nicotine drives my speed train.  I put that train in a museum about 2.5 years ago.

Thanks for the update and good luck continuing with your recovery!

• Like 2

Hi Kathleen, I think it was one of your older posts that I read in the middle of the night before my first day of quitting a year ago that really drove things home for me. You wrote that your pharmacist dad told you "if you can't enjoy a sunset without a pill that's not normal." I realized that was my life and it was so sad. I couldn't enjoy anything, whether seeing a sunset, being around friends, listening to music, watching a movie, nothing, without adderall. One year later I still remember reading your story and being inspired. Thank you and good to hear you are doing well!

• Like 4