QuittingAdderall.com Forums

One Year Clean!!!

BeHereNow

Occasional, what an amazing post! It is so awesome to hear your perspective from one year out. I really liked your list of bad adderall formed habits that you are trying to work on.... makes me want to create my own once I hit the one year mark next week. Mega congrats on this milestone!

• Like 3

Congrats occasional! You made it through the worst of it and next year you will feel twice as good as you do now. I like that you said you still have a long ways to go, because I found that to be true after a year as well. At two years, I'm just starting to feel certain passions and motivations re-emerge, and my confidence is still improving. Now, I'm not making as many 'lists' of personal goals and tasks I need to accomplish in recovery - I'm just enjoying being pleasantly surprised by their natural resurgence.

Your posts are awesome and you have a great voice. I love reading your in-depth, well thought out posts.

• Like 2

Congratulations, Occasional! One year is a major accomplishment, and I've truly been impressed by all you've still managed to accomplish in this past year. It took me basically a full year just learning to live without adderall (still am learning), so I look up to you for that. "The worst damage happened while I was ON adderall, and was BECAUSE of adderall." I couldn't agree more!!

It was really great to read your self-reflection about your recovery. I'm so proud of you! Treat yourself because this is a major accomplishment!

• Like 1

I couldn't miss out on this one. CONGRATULATIONS Occaisional. I love your optimism. I hope it's contagious.

Thanks Jon!   I fully believe optimism and being positive are contagious.   I caught it from an old friend who was dealt a very bad hand in life, but who always chose to stay positive no matter what.  

To me, it doesn't mean being unrealistic, and it doesn't mean overlooking or denying the bad.  Being positive is just how I cope with it, and includes facing everything bad and working through it as best I can--or at least I try.   I strive to choose to stay positive, to focus on gratitude and hope and beauty, and hope it spreads to others.  It IS a challenge, and a choice.  Being depressed makes it harder to stay positive; I have to work for it, and I can't always get there.  But it DOES help when I'm mindful of it, and it makes the happy times in life so much better too.

I think negativity is contagious too...... it works both ways.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that with me Occaisional. My nephew just gave me a book called Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman. It's more of a workbook, but I am going to do the work.

Today is the first day in a LONG time that I have felt pretty good. I hope to string a few of these days together and also start having more good days.

I am happy you took the time to comment on how optimism has helped your recovery and that it's worth working towards. Progress not perfection is what we should strive for, eh? That's what they say in AA.

• Like 2

Thanks Jon! I fully believe optimism and being positive are contagious. I caught it from an old friend who was dealt a very bad hand in life, but who always chose to stay positive no matter what.

To me, it doesn't mean being unrealistic, and it doesn't mean overlooking or denying the bad. Being positive is just how I cope with it, and includes facing everything bad and working through it as best I can--or at least I try. I strive to choose to stay positive, to focus on gratitude and hope and beauty, and hope it spreads to others. It IS a challenge, and a choice. Being depressed makes it harder to stay positive; I have to work for it, and I can't always get there. But it DOES help when I'm mindful of it, and it makes the happy times in life so much better too.

I think negativity is contagious too...... it works both ways.

I love your thoughts on optimism! I should start focusing on working on this. I'm not a total pessimist, but I am a worrier by nature, so optimism is a struggle for me. Great post!

• Like 2