QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Disposal of adderall

Loquacious4Love

First I'd like to say what a gift it was in stumbling upon this site. I was totally moved by that video posted by the runner who lost 150lbs. I shared his story last night just as millions of people some serious some not on resolutions to BE the change you want to see. Anyway I'm feeling safe here as I've had add well forever....medicated for 7yrs on and off. I've been carrying this burden to be freed from MEDs. When I tell people it's adderall usually they "smile and wave" well my struggle story I'll post in right Forum heading and I apologize for the initial banter....

My question which I haven't finished looking into is what to do with all my remnant adderall (I have a lot) as I'd get on this Jeckle and Hyde relationship in regards to taking my daily dose....anybody out there like that? Can I safely flush away? And no on burying it? Any feedback or insight is great as I'm kinda a lone wolf in regards to support ect...

Have a great 2014 everyone!

• Like 1

Has anyone here actually taken their pills back to the pharmacist? I would never have quit adderall if that's what someone told me I needed to do. How about this quick and dirty option: stuff them in your kitchen trash so they're covered in garbage and you won't be tempted to fish them out.

• Like 4

Has anyone here actually taken their pills back to the pharmacist? I would never have quit adderall if that's what someone told me I needed to do. How about this quick and dirty option: stuff them in your kitchen trash so they're covered in garbage and you won't be tempted to fish them out.

That's an excellent point, mine went in the nasty trash.
  • Like 1

Cat,

Yes, I had the same train of thought. If I had to take pills to the pharmacy, it would give me an excuse to not get rid of them, because although maybe that's ideal for a non addict, us addicts think differently and can come up with any excuse to not chuck them. That's my personal experience, though, and I think it would feel awkward going to do that.

• Like 2

I have the same problem. I'm 10 days clean and still have my nasty bottle, a deadly 3 month supply. I haven't done anything to it yet and lucky haven't taken any since the big quit.

This quit for me has been a long time coming and I'm so proud of myself so far but I have a long way to go. I can't think of it in that form (the bigger picture) because that may scare the shit out of me and make me want to quit quitting so I set myself smaller goals. Literally, I take it a day at a time, just like while running, I take it a mile at a time (regardless my overall daily goal of 6 miles). This helps me a lot.

I was going to ask everyone a similar question so I'm glad you did. Everyone on here may think I'm nuts and this is so stupid and may lead to my relapse but I don't think I want to throw away my bottle. Yes, it is way easier to fall off the van wagon again but the way my mind works is if I don't have something -- I want it WAY more and can't stop thinking about. I feel this method is working for me because I'm gaining back my self control and will power. Which is something I never had -- I was a teen before taking addy and then addy gave me everything I wanted and then took it all away. I need to rebuild my willpower and control, motivation, concentration, and drive, etc.

I don't know what to do. Do you all think I'm crazy for hanging on to them and think I can't be successful at never taking them again if I have them in my mitts?

I think that at the back{or front} of your mind they are a security blanket just in case. That just in case might come in the form of overwhelming stress or sadness. If they are there, they will be used. I have flushed large quantities and it was painful, but for me the right thing to do. If your goal is to quit from here to eternity, they serve no purpose keeping them. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

Hey,

A HUGE thanks for everyone who shared with me in regards to my "leftovers" I took a pretty straight forward approach and bagged them in bags of all my coffee grinds and threw into trash! Friday was my last dose and I already have the Doctors calling me? I think anyone here cruising these topics and asking themselves can I do it? I say with an INFATIC YOU CAN DO IT, I know you can and so do the others on these forums whom are free.....will it be hard...Hell yes, Is it worth it???? Ask anyone here and they'll agree with me that once your out of the woods the "chem woods" of synthetic reality you'll have your inner fortitude and identity return once again! And this no man can take away from you! BELIEVE.....Wether you need to hold onto the bottle for mini trials as I did over a years time or you want to build a rocket and launch those "M*{^}^}F{*^}^*}^" into outter space where they belong..it matter little, what does matter is that you take action today and START BECOMING THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD....starting with the man or woman in the mirror!

• Like 2

I don't know what to do. Do you all think I'm crazy for hanging on to them and think I can't be successful at never taking them again if I have them in my mitts?

That is a very personal decision.  I held onto mine for five months until I could no longer see any possible reason for needing them again.  But they were not accessible to me.  I was not strong enough to just keep an open pill bottle sitting around when I first quit so I locked them up.  It is the weirdest kind of security blanket.  How can we be so attached to an inanimate fucking pill? 

• Like 1

I really think everyone is different in regards to having pills around after quitting, as you can see from the responses, but I personally believe getting rid of them is for the best. There are bad days in recovery and not having easy access would be more ideal. I had NO control when adderall was around me; therefore, I quit after I ran out of pills. I think figuring out the reason why you don't want to part with them is important. It it's anything like "what if I need them" then they should go, in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

If someone handed me a pill today I could see myself taking it, and I've been off it for two years. So, for me it needs to be out of sight, out of mind, and very inconvenient to obtain in any way. I had no self control in the end of my addiction. If there were pills left when I quit, I would have taken them for sure.

• Like 2

Someone in my family has a prescription for Vyvanse and to this day when we're together, a year and a half later, I ask her to make sure they are nowhere in my reach or sight. The powerlessness I have over those pills and always will, is real. I think about recovering alcoholics and how hard it must be with the constant easy access.

• Like 1

this is a bit off-topic.... but the last time I was around some of my tweaker friends, and they were smoking meth.....and I briefly thought "I wonder if I could catch a harmless buzz from the second hand smoke".  It scared the hell out of me and I instantly left the room. 

I came back later on and they were still smoking.  I said "I cant even be around that shit" and left again.  They seemed offended but I didn't care.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, advice, etc. It really helps me. so much. I'm on day 11 :) And today has to be one of the hardest days so far. I woke up, my head hurts, I'm so tired and have no energy. This sucks. I quit over the Christmas/New Years holiday break and have been visiting my bf in FL for new years, I was supposed to fly back home Monday but my flight got canceled (from the weather) so I'm flying back home tomorrow. Since my quit I haven't had work so I'm scared quitting is going to be way harder once I'm home again/Friday when I have to go to work again. Ugh, I'm not looking forward to it.

This is the longest in 6-7 years I gone without taking the "a" or "v" words. I don't think at the end here (b4 quitting) I was most addicted, I think I was more so the first 4-5 years when I was on Adderall and still in college. The last 2 (years) I have been on Vyvanse. I just try to keep reminding myself all the reasons why I quit -- wellness, to be alive and healthy again, to not be crazy, to be naturally kind and loving again, to get my energy and hyperness back (again hopefully one day), to not overthink things and think everyone is out to get me, and to not be depressed or have OCD negative thoughts anymore. Which I have never had or been in my life until being on Adderall and Vyvanse, that totally saids something!

I really think everyone is different in regards to having pills around after quitting, as you can see from the responses, but I personally believe getting rid of them is for the best. There are bad days in recovery and not having easy access would be more ideal. I had NO control when adderall was around me; therefore, I quit after I ran out of pills. I think figuring out the reason why you don't want to part with them is important. It it's anything like "what if I need them" then they should go, in my humble opinion.

Ashely -- that is so true. I never thought or asked myself "why am I hanging on to them?" I think what you said is dead on ("what if I need them"); esp. since I have to go back to work soon. I probably should get rid of them asap. Thanks for looking out!

• Like 1

The safest way to dispose of unwanted pills, patches or other unwanted medications is to do a little work and find the most convenient "Take Back" program your state offers. Many states offer this free service through local pharmacies. My state is one that doesn't, but they do have a quarterly program that handles all kinds of hazardous wastes (including pharmaceuticals). My drop off location was a local hospital. If you care one iota about the environment, here is your big chance to make a difference.

A caveat for this would be the case where a person is powerless over the medication and finds a few pills and decides to flush, or even better put in coffee grinds and then into the trash. It is the lessor of two evils to flush (just a few pills) than risk relapse.

As far as what to do with your remaining stash while you find a drop off site or wait for a take back date is up to the individual. I know that Mike has mentioned in one of his articles or posts that he still has his last bottle.

I know of some guys, my brother was one, who quit smoking with a pack of Lucky Strikes in their shirt pockets. I'm not suggesting that this approach is right for everyone, but for some people their stash doesn't threaten their sobriety. They have simply had enough.

• Like 2