QuittingAdderall.com Forums

When did you first realize it was a bad drug?

Whittering

This question is for everybody. Because I don't know when exactly I realized I had to get off this drug. I was on it for about five years and didn't realize anything was wrong until my sister-in-law said my brother had taken it and became anti-social. So he got off it. That was the first bad thing I'd heard. To me, I was taking the advice of my doctor on how to reduce stress. He said it wasn't addictive. I think I started realizing how it was affecting my husband first and then realized it was affecting me the same way. Irritable after work and snapping at everybody. Always in a hurry. Couldn't relax. Always put out that nobody else was working as hard as me. Then the next trigger occurred. My doctor was out of the office and I had to see the nurse practitioner and she didn't want to prescribe them. She did and told me I needed to see another doctor to make sure this was right for me. I was mad and thought she was all up in my business. I was in denial then. And that wasn't that long ago. Maybe 18 months ago. I don't know when the turning point was. I think it had to do with getting healthier and getting the toxins out of my system. Then realizing I didn't want to go to parties because I had to stay home so I could work on projects for my company and preferred that over parties. It sounded pretty rational then. I mean they WERE important projects. At the time. I guess it was gradual. I don't really know now.

I'm trying to figure out what it took for me to make this big grandiose decision to get off Adderall and hopefully find clues on how to approach my husband about his addiction. What's it going to take to make him realize it's got to be done?

• 2 weeks later...

The harder you try to "make him realize" he needs to quit taking adderall, the more reslove he will have to deny there is even a problem. Unless nagging your husband has worked well for you in the past, the best you can do is to stay off adderall yourself and give him the appropriate feedback when he starts to complain about the bad things adderall does to him and your family. If YOU try to tell him about those bad things, it will just create more denial and justification to keep taking his pills. Please don't nag the poor bastard and remember that addiction is a mental illness and a curable disease.