QuittingAdderall.com Forums

A new chapter

ashley6

I don't have any real advice for you, but I have moments of fear when contemplating any type of change at this point in recovery so I am very impressed by your excellent attitude and bravery!  I'm sure that you've said it before but my memory is crap, what is your career path?

• Like 2

It's great you get to enter your career with a clean slate off adderall. If you've never worked a 9-5 before, know that the first few weeks those hours always seem long and unbearable, not just for recovering adderall users but for everyone. You'll get used to it though. Other than that I don't have much advice. Ditto to Justin's question, what's your career path?

• Like 2

Congratulations on finishing your college degree. I know what a heavy weight this was for you. Now, on to the next chapter...  call it liberation, a time to experiment. Follow your heart, not the money. I know that's easier said than done, but you will be so much more engaged, if you love what you do. Don't be afraid to make some mistakes when seeking the right job. It will probably take some trial and error.

I love this quote by Ann Dillard that may be relevant for your situation: You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down.

• Like 4

Ashley, it is more than a new chapter - it is an entire section of your biography that you are beginning, and right now you are just drafting the outline.  Keep an open mind and look for something that both interests you and challenges you regardless of what field your degree was in.  If you are lucky, you will be working the rest of your life.  Might as well have a job or line of work you enjoy and the money will naturally follow.

• Like 1

Jon you are so wise. 

Congratulations on finishing your college degree. I know what a heavy weight this was for you. Now, on to the next chapter...  call it liberation, a time to experiment. Follow your heart, not the money. I know that's easier said than done, but you will be so much more engaged, if you love what you do. Don't be afraid to make some mistakes when seeking the right job. It will probably take some trial and error.

I love this quote by Ann Dillard that may be relevant for your situation: You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the feedback. There was some good advice from you all. To answer your question, my major was human development/family studies. I thought I wanted to go into social work, but I don't know anymore. I also thought I wanted to work with people dealing with addiction, but I don't know on that either. I wouldn't be surprised if I get a job completely out of my field. We shall see! I'll be keeping you all posted/asking for advice :)

• Like 3