QuittingAdderall.com Forums

To Recovering Addicts

nosleep_ox

Thank you guys all so much for your responses. I really appreciate you taking your time to give me feedback. I've known I have to quit for a while now I just feel like there's always a part inside of me that's not really fully committed. It's like when I'm crashing at the end of my supply I hate myself and every part of me realizes how vital it is for me to quit for good. Then a couple days pass and I'm over the initial major sleepiness and go about my days without any problems. But then a week or so later it's time I can fill my script again and I start getting physically excited before I even get to the pharmacy. I know that's just my cravings and my addiction, but I don't know what it's gunna take for me to really fully commit, it's like I'm waiting for rock bottom. THAT makes no sense but that's how my addiction and my self are constantly battling. When and how can my self trump my addiction and not the other way around. Do you guys remember the moment you decided to REALLY quit? How was that time different than other times you tried to quit.

The "excitement" you are seeking is simply not possible in a life of sobriety. Adderall made me excited for just about anything...hell, even laundry and dishes were "exciting". But it is a drug-induced excitement that only lasts the few magical moments after you take that first pill, or even when you are planning to take that first dose. You may need to lower the bar for your expectations because nothing duplicates that drug-induced excitement. You have already answered your own question: it can be better but just a different kind of normal" It is not normal to be hyper-excited for every single day, or excited for doing things that are mundane and not entirely enjoyable.

"I don't want to rely on anything for motivation" You have borrowed from your future motivation (during recovery) while pursuing your addiction the last few years. These are the "dues" we all have to pay as recovering addicts. Your motivation will return, and it will eventually be a better and more sustained motivation than Adderall ever gave you, but it takes a lot of time. Think years, not weeks or months.

"How can I be content living my life free from substances?" This is a question only you can answer and it is something you must actively work on every day after quitting. For me, I was so relieved to be free from the burden of that awful addiction that I was content with life shortly after the physical withdrawals wore off and life without pills just gradually became the new normal. Of course there will be ups and downs during your recovery and dealing with those downs is how you grow and become a better, wiser and more mature person.

Quit once..this is so true. It makes us excited and giddy about everything. Whenever I am talking to my mom, and I'm in a good mood or excited about something she sometimes gets suspicious and fears I have started taking adderall again. This is the same with my sister. When I get too excited it makes them worried. Understandable.
  • Like 2

nosleep_ox,

Your bottom is whenever you stop digging. 

All of us here are proof that you can do it.

I had to accept that getting clean was going to be a long process that I couldn't control, and decide to take suggestions, even if I didn't understand or agree, from people who knew more about recovering from addiction than I did. 

My best friend had become my worst enemy. I had to let go of what was making me miserable, and by all rights should have killed me.

Keep asking for help. None of us can do this on our own.

• Like 4

This is a great thread! There is so much wisdom here and it is all within your reach, nosleep_ox. To pick up where Ashley left off, you never know when you are going to have your Aha moment, but if you keep asking questions like "what's it really like to live life sober?" you will have it sooner rather than later. Sooner means you are curious and involved. You are activly learning about your addiction. Later means you just let the drug run your life until you come crashing into your bottom. I think that's as aweful as it sounds, and it's you life you are talking about, not some character in a movie.

For me, my Aha moment came when I found this website and realized that quitting was possible. It was as simple as that. My doctor had me convinced that I could stay on Adderall for the rest of my life, but I knew from experience that it was not working out as easily as he was able to say it. I was quite sick and totally exhausted from using the drug for so long. I was tired of digging. I was ready to quit after I learned the truth on these threads.

Hang around, read everything you can here. The most important thing you can do to help yourself in addiction is to take action. That can mean a lot of things; like being open, learning from others, taking suggestions. Don't wait for your bottom. Choose to quit for yourself. You deserve it!

• Like 4

From this thread I have learned two things, so far:

Everybody who has successfully quit has had their "ahah moment".  (mine was when I realized than an addiction to speed was simply unsustainable over the long term).

We all had to dig some kind of hole with our addictions before quitting and getting better.  Some people dig a mud puddle and others dig the Grand Canyon.

• Like 3