QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Punk, counter culture... americanos

Zerokewl

So I've been flirting with this cute punk barista at the coffee shop I frequent for a while now. She's been a constant during my almost 9 months of recovery. Though her hair colour changes I can always count on her for a Americano and some intelligent conversation. I've got a bit of a crush on her though I'm likely 10 years her senior and no where near punk enough.  I probably should ask her out but I'm chicken shit and really like the coffee there. 

It got me thinking though, about punk. In a world where it seems like everybody is on some form of psychoactive medication adderall or otherwise. Being sober and not taking anything is counter culture. We are against the grain.  Throwing up a giant middle finger to the pharmaceutical industry and being real people again. Freeing our mind grapes.  We embody the philosophy that is punk or counter culture. 

I've given up trying to fit in to the corporate world I once thrived in. I no longer think about most the pointless material shit that kept me up at night a mere 9 months ago. I really don't give a fuck what people think and their endless stream of gossip. I really don't want a new Lexus anymore. Emerging anew from a very painful depression and redefining myself post adderall. I'd like to think of myself as punk, at least on the inside. 

Anyways a strange rant but I'm in a good mood and inspired by pining all day over a girl who gave me free cookies and discount Americano today. A girl who will never know how much she inspires me and my resolve to stay sober. 

The below Playlist is inspired by her T-shirts. 

http://youtu.be/xie6zBYIv9E

• Like 3

I smell a punk concert in the air, filled with mosh pits, chuck tailors, coffee grinds, and making out. She may like you too but like you, is too scared to say anything.  Remember, all the dudes her age are probably just pervs and want… you know. So you have the upper hand. My bf is 5 years older than me.

When the time is right, I think you should go for it and ask her out!!!!! Or tell her your headed later to a local punk show and ask her if she wants to meet ya there… or you could be like "I have an extra ticket…" my friend bailed, are you interested?

Seriously, life is too fuckin' short, my friend. And if she saids "no" and shit gets awkward, go to the coffee shop on the days she's off or stay friends.

Okay sorry, I will stop playing cupid now.

I just love love and think life is too short to not go after what you want, because you never know and it never hurts trying (well, maybe a little). You'll be in the same place you were before you went for it.

• Like 1

I agree, Sweetcarolinee. Zerokewl, you have good conversation, and she obviously enjoys talking to you. As a woman, if a guy who I consider to be a friend or at least an acquaintance asks me out, if I'm not interested, I'm still not freaked out by it. Fear of rejection is far too powerful in life, so go for it!!! My boyfriend is 8 years older than me....dealing with a little older men is so much better in my opinion. Go for it and report back to us!!!!

• Like 1

During a conversation casually ask her if she has a boyfriend. This lets her know you like her and primes her for being hit on. If she's not interested it will give her a chance to say yes without making any future conversation awkward. If she says no then you can go from there and ask her if she wants to hang out.

I always appreciated this approach from guys because there's no awkwardness of saying directly 'i'm not interested in you like that' if I wasn't interested. Just my opinion!