QuittingAdderall.com Forums

20 minutes a day meditation club?

Cassie

I would like to join you. This is something I have never tried before but have always wanted to but for one reason or another I never bothered to even try. I have read article on meditating. But I will need to refresh my memory and read some more about it tonight. Even though you basically described how do to it. I know it is going to be difficult to keep my mind from wondering. But now that you said you just start counting over then.... Well.... I don't know I am EXCITED!!!! And now this will give me a reason to try something I have been wanting to learn for a long time. I know at this I do not have the energy to join the 12 mile club :( but...

maybe in a few months who knows. Just taking it one day at a time.

So Cassie if I have a question I might send you a message but YAY!!!

• Like 2

Cassie,

I read Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn and took the 8 week stress reduction program, while I was still using. It was at the very end of my using and it was a challenge to make it through the course, but the drug did give me the power to focus.

The classes were offered on Sundays and that worked for me because I work shift work, which I can hardly do anymore, but having a job at least provides my day with some structure, even if I hate the structure. Shift work sucks! It's on the list of known carcinogens.

I have to say that taking the course was awesome!!! It completely relieved me of stress, anxiety and depression. I was going through a really bad experience with my boss who was bullying me into an early grave. This bullying had been going on for years, giving me stomach aches and thought of suicide. The meditation practice cured my stress, anxiety and depression and due to a company restructure, the bully was demoted, so he is no longer my boss.

Since quitting, I haven't even tried meditating because it takes so much brain to stay focused on the breath and it doesn't take much to tire me out. All I can manage is about 12 breaths when I am laying in bed with anxiety, but still too tire to get out of bed. Granted, I'm gun shy for trying almost anything that takes effort, since I think I will fail. I am experiencing the total loss of confidence that Mike talked about in "Your Challange."

But, just maybe, you have planted a seed. Thank you for contributing this suggestion. I hope it takes root in me. I can testify that it works wonders when practiced with commitment. When I took the stress reduction program, I was 100% committed because I was accountable to the class and the teacher. Things always work better for me when I am held accountable.

I am on my hands and knees begging that this quitting process will loosen it's tight grip on me in every facet of my life.

• Like 2

The thing is, it's not that hard to focus on your breath when you're sitting upright. And it should be effortless. When you lose focus just gently start recounting your breath. I always used to do guided meditation in bed and i would fall asleep. You wont fall asleep if you are sitting upright and consciously trying to sit straighter. This is the element i was missing before, this and silence

• Like 3

This is so great Cassie. Thank you so much for sharing. This is amazing and I couldn't agree with you more :)

In college, I took an art history class based on religion and our teacher made us mediate as a class, every class and it was awesome. I can't remember but I think it was for 15mins. I really enjoyed it but I was on a lot of Adderall then so I couldn't just silent my mind but now I can.

While I'm in yoga, I feel like I am mediating the entire class (while doing hard intense cardio yoga moves in 105 degrees), my mind is blank and at peace. Just in the present, focusing on the moment and task at hand… the next yoga move or the current one. I'm listening to the instructor, focusing on my posture and breathing. During Bikram, you must breath threw your nose the entire time because you can control your breathing better and not get so out of breath. "Yoga has traditionally taught that breathing through the nose better maintains the correct balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood." And apparently, it clears the toxins out of your body better than breathing threw your mouth can. I just find this stuff so interesting but by breathing threw my nose I really do notice a difference.

I never want to be out of control of my body and mind like I was on Adderall. I now am starting to get control back and it feels so good and empowering. I want to never live like that again (how I was and did on Adderall). I'm so glad I quit when I did and my only regret is that I wish I had done it sooner.

• Like 3

All you have to do is sit in a quiet room, preferably on the floor crosslegged but you can sit upright on a chair if that's not possible. Try to keep sitting taller. Keeping your eyes open count your breaths 1 2 3 4... repeat. Focus on counting your breath and when your mind wanders start counting over at 1. The goal is to focus on your breath. That's it! No need for apps, you do this in silence.

• Like 2

This is so great Cassie. Thank you so much for sharing. This is amazing and I couldn't agree with you more :)

In college, I took an art history class based on religion and our teacher made us mediate as a class, every class and it was awesome. I can't remember but I think it was for 15mins. I really enjoyed it but I was on a lot of Adderall then so I couldn't just silent my mind but now I can.

While I'm in yoga, I feel like I am mediating the entire class (while doing hard intense cardio yoga moves in 105 degrees), my mind is blank and at peace. Just in the present, focusing on the moment and task at hand… the next yoga move or the current one. I'm listening to the instructor, focusing on my posture and breathing. During Bikram, you must breath threw your nose the entire time because you can control your breathing better and not get so out of breath. "Yoga has traditionally taught that breathing through the nose better maintains the correct balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood." And apparently, it clears the toxins out of your body better than breathing threw your mouth can. I just find this stuff so interesting but by breathing threw my nose I really do notice a difference.

I never want to be out of control of my body and mind like I was on Adderall. I now am starting to get control back and it feels so good and empowering. I want to never live like that again (how I was and did on Adderall). I'm so glad I quit when I did and my only regret is that I wish I had done it sooner.

I did Bikram yoga as well for the first 4 months after quitting, 2-3 times per week. I had groupons for it. It really helped me feel better. I also did it at home for a while after my passes ran out - you can download the 'talk track' on itunes.

After that I switched to more relaxing yoga that wasn't as 'high maintenance' as Bikram, i.e. having to wash clothes/towels all the time, making sure I was always properly hydrated, etc. I like more aerobic yoga from time to time but now prefer more yin/restorative postures.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just want to update that I've been meditating every day since I started this. Some days it's only 5 minutes, other days it's 30 minutes, but I've been doing it consistently every day. My anxiety and depression is completely gone now. It took a few weeks to see results, and research shows that after 7-8 weeks, your brain structure changes due to meditation, so I'm excited to see what happens.

• Like 2

Wow Cassie, that's so awesome! You go girl… I need to start medicating like asap. Thanks for sharing this with us and being so inspiring :)

I want my anxiety and depression gone too! I'm actually weening myself slowing off of Zoloft right now so I'm gonna be needing to go running and mediating a lot in the near future to keep my depression/anxiety at bay.