QuittingAdderall.com Forums

failure, anxiety, humiliation

Zerokewl

I just got fired from a project I was working on.  I was behind deadline and was taking forever to do stuff.  Partially because I was working on another project. But mostly because I spend hours everyday paralyzed with anxiety and  depression.  

Fighting through it I manage to get things done. But my to-do list grows and I am self employed and nothing is ever done.  It feel humiliated that I am unable to get done everything. So I procrastinate by smoking and telling myself I deserve a break.  

I experienced this anxiety before adderall and was one of the reasons I sought a solution through medication. Frozen in indecision and far to worried what others think. Every project I do is so laced with painful anxiety it is small wonder I complete anything.    

I need to find a way to overcome this and be able to get work done. I fell overwhelmed by everything and I'm not the sort to half ass something.

My life is a total mess and I can't deal with the things that are destroying me internally. 

ZK,

Sorry to hear you lost a project.  That's really rough.  At least you have others going?

I just wanted to say, I relate to what you said so much.  I'm paralyzed pretty much all day every day by anxiety and depression, with roots that extend so deep into my soul.  The problem is I'm wasting time and I'm really far behind on starting my thesis for grad school.  My time is very unstructured, it's almost like being self-employed, so I have to structure it myself.  I feel like I just CANT discipline myself now that I'm off adderall.   I try so many things.  I set schedules, then break them.  I try waking up early, and then I'm tired all day.  I try waking up late, and I can't get my day going.  I tell myself I deserve breaks and workouts and sleep and such, but I need to tighten up the slack here.  

I realized recently that the lack of productivity has its roots in lost self confidence, which my anxiety and depression are all about.  I can't even write for 15 minutes on my thesis, the writer's block and lack of confidence is so bad.   I just feel like whatever I have is automatically going to be a huge load of stinky crap.   Like it's never going to be good enough so why bother.   I just assume I have nothing worthwhile to say, that my ideas are of no value, that I'm not important, that I'm a fraud and a failure and my life is going to go nowhere.  Crap like that.   It's about to become a self-serving prophecy if I don't get my act together soon.  I'll probably get kicked out pretty soon, or something.  I know I have it in me somewhere, but I shoot myself down all the damn time.

Anyway, I'm here if you need to commiserate.

• Like 4

ZK,

Quit-once and Occasional1 gave very honest and painful feedback.  I was thinking about creating a post with similar feelings to the ones expressed by OC1 this morning.  My procrastination isn't driven by lack of confidence or self esteem it is driven by a lack of desire and I haven't been able to pinpoint the source yet.  But yeah, I still struggle with reading comprehension and writing anything much longer than a paragraph; this has made my schoolwork drag into Fridays, Saturdays, and even Sundays at this point.  Sorry that I don't have a solution.  It sucks to lose but these failures allow us the opportunity to forge our character and define who we really are.  Who will you be?  (I already know the answer, you're not so easily defeated)

I know that signatures can easily be overlooked; but maybe mine will give you a boost today?

• Like 4

Zerokel-I know that must of hurt but I truly believe that with every door closed another one opens. I also found that I have to schedule my days exp when I am not at work or I sink into a funk and can't seem to move from my room. I get brain fogs and I try to tell my self walk away and come back to it later because the more I try to try to complete a task when I am overwhelmed the more I procrastinate. I had to do a simple spreadsheet it took me forever and I just kept thinking this is only temporary (brain fog) someday I will be better. Going to meetings helps when you see people with a lot of clean time and see their accomplishments are amazing. You may have lost a client but you have given me and so many others encouragement and hope. To me that is priceless !

• Like 2

Really touched about all your responses. I need to process everything (especially what Cassie wrote), clearly i need to change something.  Readjusting to work life is part of recovery.  I just need to keep bashing my way through all of this.  Eventually something will work.  

• Like 2