QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Pharmacophobia

I'm still taking pharacetucial drugs post adderall. Advil, zoloft, and the occasional acid reducer. I'm certainly not afraid of pharmaceuticals. What I'm afraid of is doctors who prescribe drugs with  little care for their patients. I'm afraid of poorly researched drugs that cause wild side effects. 

• Like 4

I had really bad OCD as a child that I eventually outgrew.... but I had a really bad experience with the medication they put me on to control it and hated it...and for about 8 years after that experience I refused/ was so against taking prescription medications even birth control when I got older. The funny thing is, is that when I went to college and I took my first adderall thats when I stopped caring about whether or not I took prescribed medications... don't know if its the exact same thing but sounded related.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I had really terrible experiences with birth control (pills and Copper IUD).  The copper IUD is what scared me the most.  I literally thought about driving my car into a telephone pole every time i was in it while I had a copper IUD.  I also experience horrible weight gain, acne, and constant hunger.  What's worse is that everyone tells me I'm crazy for this--that there is no way the copper IUD could have caused all of this.  yet as soon as it was removed i felt better.  the very day it was taken out i felt better.  i think the fact that the whole medical/pharmaceutical industry continues to be so dishonest about the side effects of the copper IUD is what makes me scared of pharmaceuticals now.  i mean, the warnings with adderall are all (kind of) there.  i think we all enjoy it so much at first that we just have a blind spot for seeing the risks.  but with the IUD there was just a complete blanket denial that I could be experiencing what i was.  the same was true to a lesser degree with the birth control pills--they made me extremely depressed and irritable--the only warning they have is that if you suffer from depression prior to taking them you should be monitored carefully on them.  however, doctors at least recognize that if you are progesterone intolerant--as i apparently am--birth control pills will turn you into a raging maniac; basically like having PMS all the time.  anyway, it was that bold faced dishonesty while i was suffering that really scares me.  it makes me wonder if the drugs have even been adequately tested and/or how transparent the drug companies are with this shit. i'm scared to try new drugs.  i want to try straterra for the ADD, but i'm scared shitless.  

• 3 months later...

I do. I had bad experiences with an anti depressant in the past which is why it's suprising I would go and touch something else like Adderall. :/ Anyhow, after all these terrible experiences and horrible withdrawal symptoms(thanks for the insomnia, Klonopin) I won't be taking any pharamecuticals again. I'll pass on the temporary relief.

• Like 1

DangerBean,

My daughter takes Strattera for her ADD.  I took her off Concerta the day after I quit Adderall.  Anyhow, it seems to help her a lot and doesn't wear off in the evening.  She is crazy as a bat without meds, so it is hard to judge what is a bad side effect for her. 

I don't advocate meds if you don't really need them, but the girl can't function in society without drugs.  She is one of those people who would be chained in an attic or in a mental institution back in the olden days.

It is not only the calming needs.   I wish I could make people understand.  Just know that I have tried everything and more.  Her psychiatrist has stopped just short of diagnosing  an autism spectrum disorder PDD-NOS.  I am wary of labels that follow you forever.  Cannabis oil, that would make her post stimulant munchies worse!  LOL!