QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Starting to wonder about fish oil

I never eat fish but my wife made salmon last week and I felt pretty decent for the following 2 days or so.  It was a feeling of positivity.  I'm wondering if it was coincidence or the fish and if it was the fish, can I get the same relief from fish oil?

• Like 1

I believe it was the fish that gave you that feeling of positivity.

I have taken fish oil in small amounts since quitting.  Last winter I quit taking it because I think it made my ears ring and I experienced a few "fishy burps".  In March, I noticed a decline in my memory and overall sense of control and well-being.  Since resuming almost daily fish oil therapy I have felt a return of my positivity and I have noticed a sharper memory and clearer thinking.  Also greater confidence and better emotional stability.  This post by Mike is old but still relevant: http://forum.quittingadderall.com/topic/120-omega-3-leveled-me-out/   I feel like my brain really benefits from daily doses of fish oil, lions mane and tyrosine.

• Like 2

I was hoping that you would chime in on this quit-once because I seem to recall you talking about fish oil in the past and thank you for the link.

I have to admit that I am scared about the fish burps; it makes me nauseous to think about it.  Have you tried krill oil instead?

I went to a homeopathy doctor on March 31st to try to help with my sleep and energy issues and my extensive GI issues since quitting. The Omega-3 fatty acids found in some fish, flaxseed oil, walnuts, chia seeds and high end (read expensive) fish oil capsules taken 4 times a day were part of the doctors 5 page prescription for me.

I had been taking one enteric coated fish oil capsule daily before going to this doctor. It had no noticible effect on me. The doctor told me that omega-3 fatty acids are in every cell in the human body. I guess that was enough to get me to shell out the big bucks for a host of homeopathic remedies, herbal remedies and nutritional supplements that the doctor listed. The fish oil she recommended was made by Life Extension. They are available at my local co-op and on the web at www.lef.org. Another brand that was touted by the co-op rep was Nordic. I found that the high end fish oil caps do not cause any fishy burps. I guess you get what you pay for. Who knew? Mike tried to tell us. Another case of "I'll do it my way" in rocovery. I'll listen, but won't really take the advice given. It was another rookie mistake on my part. I should know better.

I am not 100% compliant yet. I can't seem to get that 4th fish oil pill in me and I'm still working on squeezing in the flaxseed oil (one tablespoon daily), and chia seeds (about one tablespoon daily). I am snacking on 12 walnut halves every day as prescribed. 12 walnut halves makes one serving.

I have noticed some improvement since starting the doctors regimene 3 weeks ago, especially on the GI issues, but it's still too soon to tell if it is going to change the face of my recovery. One thing is clear: Omega-3 fatty acids are a crutial piece of my recovery puzzle.

• Like 1

Jon, Did your doctor have any thoughts on the amounts of the different types of Omega 3's in the fish oil - like EPA vs. DHA?

How many mg's of total fish oil or omega 3's did she recommend daily?

Did you notice any differences in your mental state since taking more and better fish oils?

Walnuts are great.  I eat one little package of Emerald natural almonds and walnuts every day.

• Like 1

I love me some fish oil! Justin, I say go for it and/or try to eat fish at least 2-3 times a week and you can get it maybe that way. If you don't like it, just stop taking them.

The kind I take has a "burp-free enteric coating" so I don't notice any fishy burps. Check the labels for this kind of fish oil! I also take double the amount because I'm still healing.

All you vegetarians: I just found out at the health food store, you should be taking a fish oil with DHA because that is the type we are missing by being vegetarian or something. And the guy suggested "Norwegian Gold Advanced Fish Oils - Critical DHA" It's ultra-concentrated omega-3 DHA and is 1200mg fish oil and 480mg of Omega-3 DHA per pill.

^I really really like it so far. It's a royal blue glass bottle.

• Like 2

Jon, how are you getting in your 1tb flaxseed oil and 1tb chia seeds daily?

I add the chia seeds to my "overnite oats" (mixed with 1/2 cup rolled oats, 3/4 cup coconut milk, splash of cinnamon and/or pumpkin pie spice and chia seeds in a jar (stir), over nite in the fridge) then take it out and I add a tb almond butter and a cut up banana and fresh berries. That is my jam. Soo good!

Or you can make a chia seed spritzers and drink them. That is what my dad was doing and he loved it. The texture of the seeds become very "jelly" like once in liquid so beware. If your alright with that texture, you can add them to your tea.

I would make a salad and after tossing on the dressing, tossing on some chia seeds.

You can mix them into your yogurt or apple sauce or a smoothie even. Or your eggs.

Or make chia seed pudding (I've been really wanting to make/try this) or salad dressing (which you can probably add the flaxseed oil into too, as the base, without really noticing)!

Check out these websites:

I'm glad your starting to feel better, my friend :)

• Like 2

Jon, Did your doctor have any thoughts on the amounts of the different types of Omega 3's in the fish oil - like EPA vs. DHA?

How many mg's of total fish oil or omega 3's did she recommend daily?

Did you notice any differences in your mental state since taking more and better fish oils?

Walnuts are great.  I eat one little package of Emerald natural almonds and walnuts every day.

Quitonce, The doctor didn't have specific EPA and DHA numbers. The doctor didn't say how much total Omega 3's, just the varied forms of it. Some are plant based instead of fish based. You can see that it is suggested I take quite a bit. You could say that I was prescribed to take a mountain of it in almost all it's forms, including eating the fatty fishes: salmon, lake trout, herring, sardines and tuna.

I have only been on the program for about 3 weeks. The only difference I've noticed is an improvement in my GI issues, which cover the entire GI tract and were getting very serious. I suppose that has improved my mental outlook some, having less stomach ache, heartburn and elimination issues. Overall, my mental and physical states are weary and challanged every day. Don't forget, I work rotating shifts and will have my 60th birthday this year. Not exactly ideal conditions for enduring an Adderall quit after 12 years of use. I wish I had been taking more Omega 3's since the beginning of my quit, but it's never too late to start.

• Like 3

Jon, how are you getting in your 1tb flaxseed oil and 1tb chia seeds daily?

I add the chia seeds to my "overnite oats" (mixed with 1/2 cup rolled oats, 3/4 cup coconut milk, splash of cinnamon and/or pumpkin pie spice and chia seeds in a jar (stir), over nite in the fridge) then take it out and I add a tb almond butter and a cut up banana and fresh berries. That is my jam. Soo good!

Or you can make a chia seed spritzers and drink them. That is what my dad was doing and he loved it. The texture of the seeds become very "jelly" like once in liquid so beware. If your alright with that texture, you can add them to your tea.

I would make a salad and after tossing on the dressing, tossing on some chia seeds.

You can mix them into your yogurt or apple sauce or a smoothie even. Or your eggs.

Or make chia seed pudding (I've been really wanting to make/try this) or salad dressing (which you can probably add the flaxseed oil into too, as the base, without really noticing)!

Check out these websites:

I'm glad your starting to feel better, my friend :)

Thank you SweetC for all of this additional info. I'm glad you noticed that I was having difficulty being 100% compliant. You have outlined some great ideas for getting the chia seeds and flaxseed oil into my body.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been taking fish oil now for about a week and I definitely notice a difference.  I still get discouraged at times but it is not as bad as it was.

I am noticing a difference too, Justin. I am really glad you started this thread. Thank you. It's wonderful to feel even slightly better. Renewed hope!

Pills before the meal do help prevent the burps, I had one or two last night but no where near as bad as I had experienced before.

I would also like to mention that I am buying the cheap stuff at Wal-mart and I am satisfied with the results / value.  [flame jacket on]