QuittingAdderall.com Forums

If I take Phentermine, does that mean I relapse?

Hey guys,

Hope all is well and everyone is having a great weekend so far.

I have to admit something to all of you because I want to keep it 100% and I want to be as honest as possible.

This morning I went to the wellness doctor/appointment my boyfriend got me for my birthday, which I asked for and wanted. It went well but I have to say, I have gained 20-very-unwanted-and-noticeable-lbs in the last 4 months and I am not happy about it and it's been driving me crazy (because I have been working out and eating kinda healthy). I guess not hard enough. I think it was the combo of quitting Adderall and being just on Zoloft and Birthcontrol, 2 medications known to make women gain weight -- me esp. The Zoloft made me crave crazy foods that I have never eaten and I wasn't even raised eating like white crabs and cookies and I would eat a full-balanced meal and still be hungry right after and it was very unnormal for me. But what is normal these days? And I don't want to make any excuses.

They put me on some crazy ass 800cals a day diet. Um what? And gave me a B12 shot in my ass. They also gave me a daily multi-vitiums, stronger B12 pills (because I can't come in for the shots the next 2 weeks; my boss is going out of town and I have to do all her events including mine) and an appetite suppressant called Phentermine.

Phentermine is a "…short-term (you can only take it a few weeks) adjunct in a regimen of weight reduction based on exercise, behavioral modification and caloric restriction…" and is a stimulate… I believe a Stage 4 and Adderall is a Stage 2. Way milder than Adderall but if I take it does this mean I relapse? And all that I have worked so hard for, will it all be gone and for nothing?

I have a 2 week supply, they just gave me it at the appointment with all the other supplements and I told them my history with Adderall. They said it's fine.

Part of me feels guilty as hell and I don't want to let you guys down or myself but another part of me just wants to take it for 2 weeks to get a jump start on my weightloss and help speed up my metabolism again. I don't know what to do.

If I knew the "appetite suppressant" was going to be a stimulate, I probably wouldn't have gone. Maybe I was just being naive because I am so desperate to lose the weight I put on. For my job, I am in front of or on a small stage of a large group of people, anywhere between 15-60 people (teaching them to paint) and I don't want to think people are staring at me and judging me. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again. Maybe I need to go talk to someone? But my new health insurance starts the beginning of June.

Words of advice, anyone who is in or has been in a similar situation or suggestions, please help and let me know. I just don't know what to do anymore.

P.S.  I highly doubt your students even notice your weight.    I can almost guarantee that you're more judgemental about your own weight than they are.  I mean I do understand the feeling though.   But just remember, they didn't sign up for an art class just to stare at you.  They're to learn from you! :)

• Like 4

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for your answers, it means a lot to me and I agree with ALL of you. I knew not to take this shit the whole time but was just being an idiot. Sadly to say, I did take it Saturday… I knew in my heart not too but it was an act of desperation and that fact I had access to something that will make me lose weight without even trying and fast but surely not the answer or true way to keep the weight off.

It's pretty ironic because up until I moved to FL, at the beginning of April, I still had my 3-month supply of 50mg of Vyvanse and never once touched it, looked at it or wanted to take it and I never did. Right before I left for FL, I gave the pills to my mom (who I know would never take them and would know what to do with them). But as soon as I got my hands on some appetite suppressant I went ape shit.

Saturday, I didn't eat anything and went to a house party, partied my ass off and drank way too much. Sunday, yesterday, I was super hungover and threw up 10 times, couldn't eat anything until 6pm and had to work last night but I got my shit together and taught an awesome Mother's Day Paint Nite class. My heart still hurts a little. I'm still trying to figure out what to do, I haven't taken it today nor do I want too. But if I have them I'm more likely to take them. I may call the doctor and bring them back or see if they have a herbal one instead. Thank you guys again, I feel so ashamed. Unfortunately, I've always known the only thing that would ever make me want to do a stimulate again is weight loss related.

When my new health insurance kicks in, in a few weeks and I'm still struggling maybe I will explore Wellbutrin.

And thanks for the articles, I didn't get time to read them yet, I have to go meet up with my boss in 15minutes but when I get back I plan on reading them.

• Like 2

I just want to say I'm really proud of you Sweet Caroline for your honesty.  You could've easily let you stimulant addiction sneak in the back door again, but you came here instead and shared.  That is so AWESOME!  You are truly on a great path to recovery. 

Cassie,

Loved the articles you posted!  Those once again remind me why I am not to turn to drugs for weight loss...EVER again.  Yes, it is the easy way out in the beginning, but eventually you get screwed in the end by this nasty drug.  I need to keep this in mind every time I struggle with weight issues.  THANK YOU!

• Like 2

Thank you again everyone for all your help and support. I haven't touched it since and don't plan too. I have come too far and fought too hard to go back down the rabbit hole. I went back to the doctors today and got another B-12 shot and some herbal supplements instead. I also hiked on this wildlife park on an island for 5 miles in the beautiful sunshine. My anxiety is up a little tonight and I'm not sure why and I hope this will pass soon. We'll see how it goes!!!

• Like 3

Hello Caroline! I just wanted to share I was almost a year off adderall, I was taking wellbutrin which helped a lot. Then one day, I started to take Phentermine which then led me to start taking adderall again! So I would recommend not to take it :)

• Like 4

I have battled my weight my entire life whether on adderall or off. Before I even heard of adderall I lost 90lbs with sheer willpower and discipline. Here's the one thing I've learned over the past decade that's always held true.

calories in vs calories out.

If you can manage to burn more calories than you take in then you will lose weight.

Start with this calculator http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. It'll give you your basal metabolic rate. Basically it tells you how many calories a day you burn doing nothing, which is pretty sweet because they're almost freebie calories. Once you get this baseline, just add the calories you burn from exercise and subtract the calories from this number that you eat.

for example: say with your body weight, height, and age you have a BMR of 1500 calories. You burn 350 calories running and eat 1600 calories. That means you are at -250 calories for the day.

once you reach -3500, you will lose 1 solid pound. It may take you 2 weeks or even a month but I promise you it will add up and you will lose weight that will stay off. This is the healthiest way to do it.

Best advice I can give you is to start a food journal or use a phone app to record your food/exercise intake daily for at least a month. This helps you track the calories and really makes you aware of what you are eating.

So far I've lost 16lbs doing this over the course of 2 months but i'm also alot heavier than you i'm sure ;)  so don't expect to lose that much in such a short time. 

Remember to not get discouraged. Much like our recovery, nutrition and exercise is a lifestyle change and results are not instantaneous.

• Like 1

Thank you so much MadHatter.

I really appreciate your feedback and advice on this, so much. I will definitely try this. I have tried in the past to "keep track of my food/calories" and workout but haven't given it 100%. And I have been drinking too much, which slows down your metabolism. Also, I haven't been able to workout as much as I wanted because I started a new job. I just need to stuck it up, stop making excuses, follow your advice and just do it. I definitely want to start going to yoga again, as well.

I will let you know how it goes a little later on and thanks again!

Also, congrats on losing all that weight, that is AMAZING and you should be so proud of yourself.

Cat Marnell has wrote extensively about adderall and addiction in a very honest way. Tragically, I think she currently is back in relapse. Thanks for sharing the links. I find reading these articles and knowing now after it comes full circle what it is really like helps on my trigger days.