QuittingAdderall.com Forums

On Day 1

txbadger

Today is day 1.  After discussing it at length with my wife last night, and getting her support, I have decided to quit.  So far I feel okay, but feel somewhat sleepy.  It is taking a lot of effort just to become a member and even write on this forum.  After what I read yesterday on the different forums about ADD/Adderall, I decided that I had to quit.  I have two little boys, a 4 and 1 yr old.  I have been having crazy side effects, like Dermititis Urticaria, a skin rash indicating an allergic reaction, anti social behavior and the onset of joint pain.  Oddly enough, today my joint pain in my hands and feet are nonexistent today.  I also read that if you get the allergic reaction that you are at risk of having a sever cardio-respiratory failure.  

I am trying to force my self to write on this forum so that I can train myself to be more more focused without being on meds.  My biggest fear is becoming lethargic and having the need to sleep all the time, and having to go through sever withdrawl symptoms.  I was RX medication when I was 26 and  have been on them for 13 yrs.  I originally took 30 mgs twice a day, but upon my request later reduced it to 20 mgs, twice a day.  So if anyone has any tips or advice on how to maintain my level of energy and focus, please share.  I know I am about to face some tough days, and I already have several obligations this Memorial Day Weekend, that are going to require me to have a lot of focus and determination to get through.  

• Like 3

Welcome aboard!  My suggestion is to read all the wonderful articles that Mike has put together and apply whatever you can from his advice.  The recovery process sucks at times but you will stop being a heartless zombie and that is so worth it for your family.  You'll know what I mean the first time that you realize you are having fun goofing off with your kids naturally.

• Like 2

The side effects of quitting are severly under-rated.

Have no doubt, txbadger, there are no tips or advice on how to maintain your current level of energy and focus. You will not have these resources in short time after you quit. Given your history of use, you will face the challange of a lifetime. You have great support here, but ultimately your own determination and perseverance will see you through.

• Like 4

Hello and welcome!!! Today is my 11th day adderall free!!! I was taking 120 mg a day. The first 5 days were the hardest for me. I just cried and slept a lot. I think a lot of the struggle with the withdrawal is mind over matter!! You have to motivate yourself and try to stay as positive as possible. Ask for support and help when needed!!! Reach out to your loved ones. I have a one and a half yr old daughter and she is the most helpful during this process to a healthy life style. I quit my job a month ago to stay home with my daughter so I am fortunate not to have to go to work while I'm in my early stages of recovery. I stopped taking adderall because my husband didn't give me a choice. I'm starting to do the things I use to when I was all jacked up on adderall. I'm still very tired but fight through it every minute of everyday!!!! Fight fight and fight!!!! Your worth it and so are your children!!!! Good luck to you and feel free to reach out any time!!!!!

• Like 4

Day 2

Today, I am amazed at the fact I can clench my hands and make a hard fist with out pain.  I am totally blown away and happy that I no longer am having any heart palpitations and rashes.  Hardest part has been having to wake up at 430 am for work, but thought to myself if this is the hardest part and I can conquer this, and that I can put my mind over anything.  I remember the days when I would gulp down 3 or 4 30 mgs pills and feel that euphoria.  Today, I actually feel better and have that sense of satisfaction of beating my need to be on Adderall.  I feel like I am back to my old self and being friendly and outgoing like I used to be.  It is wonderful, I just hope it stays this way and I don't go into "zombie" mode.  Thanks to everyone who has posted and the words or encouragement.  

• Like 1

On Day 3

Okay it is my third day.  Now I remember why they said I was ADHD, hyperactivity disorder.  Not really sure if that just means I have a lot of energy or what.   But one thing is for sure, once I am up I have a good amount of energy and cannot simply sit still.  It is more difficult being still and having the ability to focus on any one task.  Even as a write, I am continually resisting the urge to get up and walk around or do something else.  So far I have leaned back in my chair three times already to look around to see if I should go do something else.  Instead I am not allowing my self to get out of this chair for just 10 mins.  Okay, so now I finally do have to get up, just got a call for some work to be done.  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on hunting, guess that was why i loved bird hunting so much.  Getting up early and all that action.  Miss it, cant wait for the fall again.

Day 6, May 27th

I am very grateful that I made it through this weekend with out the need for Adderall.  I can't lie to the fact there were a couple of times that I really wanted to take one.  I think it was more mental than anything else.  Was able to take a short power on Sunday after taking the family strawberry picking.  I woke up 20 minutes later feeling recharged and energized.  So I took the boys swimming and let them spend all of their energy while I floated around in the pool with them.  

Yesterday was a little different, my wife was sick and I had to pick up the slack.  It didn't seem all that hard doing the small chores, except for the fact that I felt like I couldn't stay focused on a given chore.   I would vacuum, then see something that needed to be dusted, and before you knew it I was trying to do ten different things without actually getting one complete.  So I decided to have my four yr old help me stay on track, and that was a lot of fun.  

I feel very fortunate that things have been going well.  It is already 545 am, and I have gotten quite a bit of work complete.  Need to log off and get back at it.  Thanks to everyone reading and giving me support.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day 16

Wow, I can't believe I have gone this long with out the need for my meds.  Been super busy with work, but I feel like I have taken my life back.  Thank you to everyone who has posted up here to help me going.  I thought I would write just let everyone know that although it hasn't been easy it is definitely doable.  Don't get me wrong, I had a couple of days where I was tempted to take one, but I was able to keep my urges in check.  I have gained about five lbs, but here recently I have started to exercise again and feel stronger and more energized than when I was on Adderall.   I can't say enough about how grateful I am about being off and also thanks again to all the positive people on this forum.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day 27

Just wanted to give an update.  I had a wonderful Father's day, and my body has gotten used to life without meds.  Once I reach my 30 days I will try to remember to post up again.   I don't even notice that I wake up without it, and I have started to regain my energetic old self.  I even take the stair at work 3-4 times a day, approx 10 flights.  It is great to be clear headed again, not losing my temper, freaking about not getting my meds, and constantly worrying about the shortage and wondering if I will be able to fill my script.  Life has been awesome without Add.  Thanks to everyone who have given their support.  

• Like 2