QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Why adderall and work don't mix

Greg

I just thought I'd create a list of why adderall and work don't mix. Feel free to add.

1 compelled to smoke at inopportune times

2. Taking too much during the day and not being able to sleep that night and waking early the next day unrested,,,and repeating that trend over and over.

3 pulse pounding anxious behavior (in front of the boss and coworkers)

4. Messed up sleep cycles,

• Like 4

I couldn't talk to people without breaking out into a panic attack (or at least thinking I would). My job involves a lot of organization. I'm not great now, (working on it), but I feel like I lacked the ability to be organized whatsoever on adderall. My mind was way too scattered. I probably wouldn't keep my scheduled appointments. I rarely followed through with anything on adderall, and if I did, it was usually weird, unimportant stuff.

• Like 2

There are so many reasons above that have me really nodding my head ...like overly aggressive..too many to list..

-Too much nervous energy and nervous energy used unproductively

-information overload + nervous energy =Confusion

-As adderall wears off.distracted behavior

-overly persistent on one task when many tasks need to be done

-unreliable

• Like 4

More to add...

Dry mouth = bad breath!! I forgot about that.

Feeling invincible at work not reflecting well on coworkers or your team

Insanely passionate or enthusiastic about work (even the most mundane tasks) not reflecting well on coworkers

Intensely Thinking about work after the work day is over,

Really Poor soft skills

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My observation today. It's important at work to be able to switch focus quickly in an office. Like if someone walks by your desk either to say hi or with an urgent task and you are totally zoned in on your email or whatever thing you are working on, it is impossible to switch focus on adderall. Which is a pretty bad thing in an office.

Off adderall, if I'm in the middle of something, I can pretty easily switch focus and talk to someone, and then go back to my task. On adderall it was so difficult to do that. I had no flexibility in my focus,

• Like 3

Poor overall performance.  Adderall made me perform poorly at all levels.  Before I became a daily user, I was always in withdrawals during the work week.  As my binge addiction became a daily habit, my cognition declined.  Poor memory.  Poor organizational skills.  Always losing things.  Being careless and dropping or breaking things.  Couldn't remember anything.  Missed appointments.  Misspeaking, or saying weird, off the wall stuff.  I was starting to become mentally and emotionally unstable.  Trouble remembering things.  Using lots of sick leave just because I could.  Using work time to go the Dr. or refill my prescription.  Not performing well in the mornings.  Too paranoid to answer the phone.  Taking lots of smoke breaks.  Always forgetting things.

My job is more mentally demanding than physically demanding.  I couldn't afford to lose my job to a stupid addiction.  Nor could I afford to lose my mind!

• Like 3

Quit once, all you said hit home. I had a general gradual cognitive deterioration until psychosis. I felt invincible but performed inefficiently and in a totally disorganized way.

I think I spent three quarters of my day taking cigarette breaks on adderall. Also I got no sleep bc I was always popping pills past 7pm!!! I would sleep POORLY because I was pumped up with amphetamines, maybe sleep for four hours a night and then pop adderall to get me running during the day. What a weird cycle, how did I think that was sustainable?I was so self absorbed, and so into my ideas and so unapproachable because I was so absorbed into whatever I was doing.

Adderall and work do not mix.

• Like 2

In recovery & Quit Once your descriptions of work life on Adderall were very similar to my own. I eventually got fired from a career job that I loved and invested most of my life in. I still miss my old job , time heals all things but I wish I could've avoided this life lesson.

• Like 3

True Justin but I like to think I am a cautionary tale of what can go seriously wrong. I took adderall because of my job , I lost my job because of adderall. Life gave me a break I needed a break, over the last year I've built a nice freelance business I am turning it around. I just can't help wondering what would happen if I hadn't taken that first pill. I guess in a few years I'll look back and say that had to happen for this to happen perspective is everything. Today is really the only thing that matters anyhow.

• Like 2

Zerokewl, I got fired from my dream job and that haunted me for years. I lost it because I went into psychosis. I also built such a huge work gap on my resume it was not even funny. But now I'm in a place that is three times as good as any job I've ever worked. So my advice is.,,to know that you have options and if you want to find a job similar to the one you loved...well jump back into the three resume a day club.

Edit - I somehow missed a few of the preceding posts on this thread. But Zerokewl..it looks like you've found a new happiness being your own boss with your freelancing.

Edited by InRecovery
  • Like 1