QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Weight changes

Great post.  It sounds like you were able to still make a lot of good decisions, even during the chaos of the whole process. 

My embarassment for thinking that Adderall was the solution to being thin increases by the day.

My favorite line in the whole post.  It goes to show that the fear of taking on a challenge like this can actually be tougher to get through than the challenge itself.  Congrats on seeing through your fears - it sounds like you are doing exceptionally well.

• Like 4

Dealing with changes in body weight is a huge factor in one's recovery.  It requires a higher level of self-acceptance. 

I timed my Quit to minimize rapid weight gain by quitting in the summer when I could be more active.

Kicking Adderall and cigs at the same time caused almost 20 lbs. of weight gain by month Ten.  I was back to my "using" weight by Month 15.  Oddly enough, I now weigh exactly what I weighed when I quit three years ago.  I had a lot of belly fat from lack of sleep and poor diet.  Now, more lean muscle & clothes fit better. 

Great topic.  I plan to start another discussion thread about the workout program I have embraced this spring: HICT (high intensity circuit training) + (power) yoga +  keeping a daily food/calorie journal and a daily activity score.

• Like 3

Alcohol has a LOT of calories and they are all empty.  Seven calories per gram (ml) of ethanol.   I never realized how many calories I got from drinking until I started keeping a calorie journal.  4 beers = 600 calories.  one mixed drink with one ounce of 80 proof liquor has almost 100 calories from the alcohol alone! 

• Like 1

I am on day 28 adderall free and I am up 10-12 pounds, depending on hydration and time of day. I have been sporadically exercising, and keeping my caffeine levels up in the afternoon. I have developed a sensitivity to most artificial sweeteners, so my only low cal caffeine option is coffee. Since Alabama afternoons are pretty hot, I'm thinking I should switch to iced coffee. I have tried to stay away from wheat (wheatbellyblog.com), but carbs are screaming my name!!!

Well, I'm going to try to get back on track, and I just wanted to thank you for the inspirational post.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I am dumbfounded by the weight thing in my situation. Had kids in between using episodes, so I really don't know what my true weight is/should be. I think I was around 110 in high school, I'm 5'3 though, pretty short. First pregnancy stopped adderall and weighed 114, shot up to 170 by term. Then after two kids, started using and dropped to 98. Stopped, had another kid, 11 months postpartum currently and 119. Who knows...

I only took adderall for a year but I lost 20-30 lbs while on it, and I am now 40 days clean from it yet I still haven't gained control of my eating. It seems like the first month of detox was so much easier and I ate so much less. Now I'm snacking all damn day and can feel the weight adding on. I just needed to vent this frustration because compared to others, I used for shorter duration yet it seems like my ability to just get to a healthier version of myself is taking far longer than expected and leaving me very frustrated with this never ending hunger/ still eating even when full.

I only took adderall for a year but I lost 20-30 lbs while on it, and I am now 40 days clean from it yet I still haven't gained control of my eating. It seems like the first month of detox was so much easier and I ate so much less. Now I'm snacking all damn day and can feel the weight adding on. I just needed to vent this frustration because compared to others, I used for shorter duration yet it seems like my ability to just get to a healthier version of myself is taking far longer than expected and leaving me very frustrated with this never ending hunger/ still eating even when full.

It's only been 40 days - that's not a long time to have quit something. I kept gaining weight for the first 3 months off Adderall, then my appetite and metabolism started to normalize and I lost the weight. Your body, mind and hormones will adjust over time.
  • Like 1

Great job! That's awesome.

I too started adderall mainly for weight-loss and feared gaining it all back once i stopped,

I was sickly thin on adderall and gained about 13 pounds over the course of a year and have just now dropped about 5 due to exercise and better eating.

I'll admit, i miss my adderall body, but i know it was not realistic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to be really careful about looking through my old photos. Without fail, I end up craving it every time I look at pictures of myself at the height of my adderall use two years ago. I have to remind myself that it wasn't the adderall that made me lose weight - it was the fewer calories and the increased exercise that I did during that time. Quitting has totally messed with my motivation to workout. I can't let myself sugarcoat it though - I initially lost weight on it, but then all the benefits gradually diminished and I gained it all back even while still on adderall. 

I'm trying to be patient with myself and be proud of another day off adderall, even if it's yet another day I didn't go to the gym. At some point I need to push myself a little and just get back into it, but I'm still struggling to get to that point. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...