Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Perullo

The Root Cause

12 posts in this topic

I've been addy free for about 2 1/2 months now.  Most of the physical signs of detox have waned substantially (over-tiredness, mega-hunger, etc.), much to my surprise and appreciation.

However, I am left with one major problem, which is the root cause as to why I was on addy in the first place: ADD.

Like I said, most of the detox symptoms have faded.  But I'm left exactly where I was at square one - i.e. problems with attention, impulse control, concentration, boredeom, and so on.

So I did some Googling to see what kinds of things one can do to keep the ADD/ADHD at bay, ranging from medical sites to news articles.  About 99% of them came to the same (bullshit) conclusion: "Thems the breaks, you're victim - take meds".

Livid, I come to you guys for support.  How are some of you all living/coping with ADD/ADHD without meds?

What I mean to express is that part of my recovery has been accepting the reality that there is no  cure or a fix for my disorganized thinking, or whatever. For me, learning to live with that takes a one-day-at-a-time approach.

1 person likes this

I agree it is frustrating.  Every book on ADHD/ADD recommends getting medicated ASAP. Something the books talk about are making lifestyle modifications that support your ADD.  Marry the right person and have the right job are 2 of the biggest decisions an ADDer can make.  It take time to readjust to life off medication. 2.5 months is still relatively early . 

3 people like this

I think you all know how i feel about ADHD. But I used to think I did have it and I have READ all the books on it including that series of Driven to Distraction, Answers to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction.  I don't believe they all offer advice of taking pills as the only solution. They give many tips for staying organized.

This one I would say would be the type of book you are looking for - its called ADD Friendly Ways to Organize your life. It doesn't focus on medication at all.  I think people who are just disorganized can also benefit from it. It gives you simple ways to organize your life - tips that I still use today. Like if you always lose your keys, they give a great idea of leaving a box by your door for you to always drop your keys in as soon as you walk in the door so you always know where they are. I still use that tip today.

http://www.amazon.com/ADD-Friendly-Ways-Organize-Your-Life-ebook/dp/B006G7H6TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411955273&sr=8-1&keywords=organize+for+adhd

3 people like this

Believe it or not I actually used to attend an adhd support group (I know) and we all bought that book and we used to work through a section of that book each week.

That's  a good one, Greg. Just started working through it these last couple weeks, actually.

Its a great a book and i definitely recommend you work through it. I think a lot of people on this site are looking for non medicated ways to handle ADHD. Or as ZK calls it, a difference in cognitive ability.

1 person likes this

Greg, I'll have to give that book a go too.  Though I gotta say, the willpower hit is hurting me the most so far.  I don't really have a problem with how to organize - just lacking the will to do so.  At the end of the day, that one's on my head.  But with a slippery attention span, things get a bit more tricky.

I think you all know how i feel about ADHD. But I used to think I did have it and I have READ all the books on it including that series of Driven to Distraction, Answers to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction.  I don't believe they all offer advice of taking pills as the only solution. They give many tips for staying organized.

This one I would say would be the type of book you are looking for - its called ADD Friendly Ways to Organize your life. It doesn't focus on medication at all.  I think people who are just disorganized can also benefit from it. It gives you simple ways to organize your life - tips that I still use today. Like if you always lose your keys, they give a great idea of leaving a box by your door for you to always drop your keys in as soon as you walk in the door so you always know where they are. I still use that tip today.

http://www.amazon.com/ADD-Friendly-Ways-Organize-Your-Life-ebook/dp/B006G7H6TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411955273&sr=8-1&keywords=organize+for+adhd

thank you for this contri Greg, need to check this one :)