QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Do any Doctors Even Understand?

IFIHADKNOWN

I am wondering if anyone has every worked with a psych. who understands what Adderall withdrawal is all about?

I live in a highly populated area and have seen no less than 4 docs regarding my withdrawal.  Some of these doctors work for the most highly regarding Universities in the nation and others "specialize" in Adderall and ADHD medications.

The lack of knowledge regarding withdrawal is shocking.  Every useful thing I learned about withdrawal has come from this forum.  The standard response I have gotten is "after one month it should be out of your system and you should be back to normal".  Of course I am thinking - "are you kidding me?".  I did have one doctor tell me "oh well" you now have permanent brain damage (after 18 months of use) - "sorry - nothing I can do to help".

I would be willing to travel to another state if anyone could private message me a recommendation of a doctor who really understands Adderall withdrawal.  It seems they are outstanding at prescribing it and yet have no idea how to deal with the long-term fallout should you decide to stop taking it.

Any referrals (if they even exist) would be very helpful.

Thanks!!! 

Good point Cassie - a counselor is also needed.  I have seen 3 of them.  Just like the doctors, they have no experience with withdrawal.

Regarding the doctor, while I am fight taking any drugs (tooth and nail) my problem is - I don't know what I don't know.  My biggest problem is the sustained fatigue, lack of motivation and focus.  I do not miss any other elements of Adderall, I just need to be able to stay awake and alert for my job.  I have heard about other medicinces like Provigil (simply one example).  I would like a doctor you understands all of these medications (pros and cons).  Continuing with my current fatigue level may result in an inability to continue working and having to quit to take a recovery break.  I am ok with that - if that is the best option. Seems a combination of proper doctor and counselor could be a big help.  

Again - the best advice I have gotten anywhere to date is from this forum.  While that is great, given the wide-use of this drug, it seems very odd.  

I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.  

Out of your system in 30 days? Are they high? Amphetamine's half life only allows it to stay in your system for about a day.

^^ Cassie, do you really find Provigil addictive? I tried Adrafinil for the first time today and I must say, I'm underwhelmed (in a good way). There is zero euphoria or recreational value. It just flat out doesn't make me feel good, just not tired. I'd be interested in your reasoning for stating it's a risk. I'm assuming there are minor dopamine reuptake inhibition properties but I don't feel, as far as mood boost, much different than popping a few L-tyrosine capsules (which is borderline placebo).

Out of your system in 30 days? Are they high? Amphetamine's half life only allows it to stay in your system for about a day.

^^ Cassie, do you really find Provigil addictive? I tried Adrafinil for the first time today and I must say, I'm underwhelmed (in a good way). There is zero euphoria or recreational value. It just flat out doesn't make me feel good, just not tired. I'd be interested in your reasoning for stating it's a risk. I'm assuming there are minor dopamine reuptake inhibition properties but I don't feel, as far as mood boost, much different than popping a few L-tyrosine capsules (which is borderline placebo).

Never tried it, but according to manufacturer and NIH, 'this medicine can be habit-forming.' Same warning for amphetamines so why even go down that road. That's why many on this site use Wellbutrin in the beginning - no 'habit forming' (aka addiction) warnings.

Idontcare and Cassie - thank you.  You both demonstrate my point regarding why I am searching for a doctor who understands the withdrawal process.   When I first quit cold turkey, I was immediately put on Wellbutrin.  A quick Google search indicated that was the primary drug prescribed - so it seems like it is the only drug that most doctors even know about prescribing for withdrawal.  Unfortunately, Wellbutrin was not for me.

I learned about an entire series of medicines like Provigil and was super dissappoited that I have seen 4 doctors and these medications were never even discussed (when they knew fatigue was my primary problem).  Believe me - I am anti-medicine of any type (which is why I went cold turkey off Addy) but I do have to stay awake and keep a job in the meantime.  People I spoke with directly regarding Provigil said exactly what Idontcare indicated.  It keeps you awake but has no euphoria effect.   As I struggle with this fatigue issue every day, I was just hoping to find a doctor who could at least suggest alternatives other than Wellbutrin.  As a side note - I have taken all of the supplements recommended by others on the site.  Most have almost zero impact.  It sucks when a Redbull is the most effective supplement.  

Sorry for the rant - just trying to express my honest feelings.  

Take care everyone!  

I took Provigil again today in the form of the unscheduled, legal Adrafinil. Took a slightly higher dose, but still not over the basic dose guidelines. I can't say it's "habit forming" per se, but like Wellbutrin, antidepressants and most drugs in general, your body could no doubt become dependent on it with consecutive use. But, since there is no euphoria or feel good sensation, there is no compulsion to take more than needed, redose, or even take everyday.

Now... there are a few reports I've read where people get mood lifts and end up hooked on Provigil. I'm not a doctor and I'm certainly not suggesting you get on any medication, but it's worth researching cautiously.

I don't know anybody who's used Provigil "successfully" for an extended period.

I didn't find Adderall addictive when i first started it. Or the first couple years I used it. With some perspective, the negative effects on my life and development started years before I became aware of them.

Early on in the recovery process, you've got to get comfortable being uncomfortable.

Love Cassie's point about there being no substitute for time.

• Like 1

Some docs def understand. Some do not. I am a fourth year medical student presently. While I do not intend to go into psych (going into surgery), I can tell you that just like every profession there are good docs and bad docs. Docs who care and docs who dont care. 

Your best bet at finding a doctor who understands withdrawls is going to an academic medical center imho (eg one that is attached to a university)... Generally docs who practice there are more focused on treating patients properly than private practice doctors, who need to worry about managing a busy practice and thus do not get to spend as much time with patients. 

Just IMHO good luck.

And re taking provigil as an adderall supplement... not a good idea if you are trying to quit. Both modulate dopamine and norepinephrine... in different ways for sure... but you are just substituting one addiction for another. 

And re taking adrafinil... What are you doing to your body? That stuff is awful on your liver. Might as well be drinking a 750ml of vodka every day (at least you will have fun that way).  Get some modafinil.. its easy enough to find some online.. modalert or something similar. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a couple doctors which all were pretty bad. I have a family member who works at a Rehab center and he says it could take anywhere from 6months to a year to get out of the side effects and or a adderall induced psychosis. Although I have read some stories online of it taking up to two years. Most doctors want to rip you off of adderall and then place you on other drugs like antipsychotics which can induce you even more into a psychosis. I just feel weird from going from one drug to the next. The first time I got off adderall I went off of it cold turkey, dealt with the horrible stuff for a couple months and got through it without the use of meds. But I also went back on it thinking a traumatic episode I had was the problem and not the adderall. I am 6 months clean now from adderall. I had to take some non-narcotic drug to sleep at night for the first couple months. Sleep is hard now where on addreral and before adderall I could sleep from 9-18 hours no problem. I have ADD without hyper activity. I am borderline narcelepsy before I started taking adderall. I am off of all meds and trying to just ride this out and treating it holistically through Juicing, blending fresh fruits and veggies everyday, taking Juiceplus which is fruits and veggies in a capsule, taking high amounts of omega3 (3,000-6,000mg a day) and A LOT of kelp. I have noticed that getting off adderall I go through intense periods of wanting to fall asleep when I wake up in the morning and throughout the day and the kelp seems to be helping. But at night I have high anxiety, I have had bad dreams, I have woken up hearing stuff. I am having a way worse time this 2nd time around with trying to quit. The side effects of the drug have gone beyond the drug helping me any more. I have eliminated alcohol from my diet completely since 2012 also. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone considered taking the next step...if regular doctors cannot help and just want to give you other meds to coverup what Adderall left behind...then seek some sort of in-patient facility (rehab).  (Not sure if there is an outpatient option)  Under the new insurance laws (ACA) all new policies have to cover drug & rehab.  If you have any sort of (non-gov't) insurance you may have more options than you realize.  I found this may help one of you, if needed : http://adderalladdictionsupport.com/tips-for-finding-treatment-for-adderall-addiction/