QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Career moves

whatnext

I have been off adderall for almost 2 years, and have been in the working world for 5. I have struggled with work since quitting but have always been able to stay just above water. Juggling lots of tasks is difficult and gives me anxiety, and I don't enjoy some projects the way I would have when I was on adderall.

But my bigger struggle is trying to decide if I'm in the right field. I feel somewhat frozen and unable to make a choice about what I want to do with my life. I have no gut feeling or direction. Sometimes I wonder if being on adderall for 12+ years hindered my ability to really develop a specific interest or career path. Does anyone else struggle with this?

I've had several different jobs, I'm just not sure what I really want to do, or what I am good at. 

• Like 1

I think this issue that you're having isn't so much about adderall but rather just about trying to find the motivation to get things done. Life isn't always simple, and what has helped to keep me sober is remembering that I felt super shitty at work long before I ever started to take adderall.

The fact is, these are questions you have to find the answers to yourself. Others can share their stories and experiences but I think what might help you the most is meditating on this for sometime and really analyzing the situation from all points of view. Exactly why are you feeling unsatisfied? Is it because you're truly in a field you don't belong in or you're just having a rough couple of days/weeks/months, etc

• Like 1

I have been off adderall for almost 2 years, and have been in the working world for 5. I have struggled with work since quitting but have always been able to stay just above water. Juggling lots of tasks is difficult and gives me anxiety, and I don't enjoy some projects the way I would have when I was on adderall.

But my bigger struggle is trying to decide if I'm in the right field. I feel somewhat frozen and unable to make a choice about what I want to do with my life. I have no gut feeling or direction. Sometimes I wonder if being on adderall for 12+ years hindered my ability to really develop a specific interest or career path. Does anyone else struggle with this?

I've had several different jobs, I'm just not sure what I really want to do, or what I am good at.

I'm starting a new job Wednesday. That isn't my chosen path, it's just ok paying sales type job. it's biggest advantages are that it is close to home, with very slack hours. It will allow me to work on some of my freelance projects and is probably a good stepping stone to being back to work eventually.

I think you will find your true passion your real person. But it will probably show up when u least expect it. like stepping on a rake in a cartoon. it will smack you in the face!

• Like 1

Our interests shift over time. I have taken the Strong Career Interest Inventory twice in my life (10 years apart) and noticed differences. I know that it would be different now than it was 7 years ago. People change as they mature. It's all part of the process.